Guided Dall Sheep - Bring my own spotter or just Bino's?

WestDan

Lil-Rokslider
Holy crap! 60 pounds?!!! Geeeeesh!!!!! That's enormous. I can't even imagine needing that much junk. Wow!!!

I limit my guys to a maximum of 35 pounds, or else we don't fly. The Pipers that I use have a flyable payload of 300 pounds, after 3 hours of fuel and pilot. So, if a client weighs 200 pounds and camp/food/salt weighs 80 pounds, then a client needs to keep his total gear weight to less than 40 pounds or we don't fly. But, that's the way I do it.

Some outfitters fly BIG aircraft into pre-established campsites and in those instances, a guy could possibly (probably) bring more junk. I mean, if a guy just has to have the entire house including the kitchen sink, there are outfitters who cater to that sort of thing.

In any event, have a great hunt.

Maverick

Haha safe to say you're a little emphatic on being spartan. Didn't say I was bringing 60, but I'm allowed that amount which includes everything (rifle, pack, whatever). Can't imagine I hit close to it as I don't need to bring food/water/tent. Yes, flying a bigger (likely) float plane into base camp then horseback to spike camps. This goes to my point earlier that the OP should discuss the weight requirements of the outfitter and decide his allocation. Should he be going on a "kitchen sink" hunt then he should have plenty of room for spotter haha.

Maverick940

Banned
I totally agree, West Dan.

A client needs to follow and adhere to what the outfitter - and only the outfitter - is telling them. I mean, if a client has plunked down the money to pay for an outfitter's expertise, then said client needs to adhere to what that outfitter is telling them. I completely agree with that.

Maverick

WestDan

Lil-Rokslider
What's the name of your outfit Maverick?

The comments above show how critical it is to do a bunch of interviewing and homework before you plunk down significant hard earned dollars to go on a hunt. It's usually a better experience to hunt with people who are pleasant, especially if the hunt gets tough with weather/etc.

Last edited:
I'd say this is the likely candidate "Top Gun Treks" (Alaska Hunting Guides, Hunting Trips, Guided Hunts in Alaska), but "maverick" can jump in if that's incorrect. The comments above show how critical it is to do a bunch of interviewing and homework before you plunk down significant hard earned dollars to go on a hunt. It's usually a better experience to hunt with people who are pleasant, especially if the hunt gets tough with weather/etc.

Fairly certain that's not who he is.

PA 5-0

WKR
Both of my fly in AK hunts, with different guides, were 50lbs for the pack including the rifle. I was easily under that with a spotter, tripod and extra boots. Following their advice, I wore some heavier items when flying--heavy boots, binos, couple jackets, bullets, etc--which didn't count against the pack weight.

wantj43

Lil-Rokslider
I would certainly talk with your guide/outfitter before making the decision about taking the spotting scope. During your hunt there will be lots of things that will need to be discussed, so might be good to get started on that "path" of discussing things now.
As far as packing the scope on a horse - one of the last things any outfitter wants to see is that usually meek and mild pack horse that has suddenly turned into a "nut" case racing down the mountain sides - mantees or panniers flopping - stuff flying everywhere knowing the client's spotting at any moment may be "airborne"!
Best of luck with your upcoming hunt.
Joe

I would at least take you scope up to base camp. I hunted the NWT last year with Stan Stevens and brought my large Leica up. While sorting out my gear with the guide I saw that he was only going to pack a small Leupold scope. We discussed it and he ended up packing my big scope while I packed the tripod. At the end of our 9 days he was blown away at the difference the big glass makes and was happy we brought my scope along. If all else fails you can leave your scope at base camp after your sort it out with your guide.

I also believe the Lancaster's utilize a helicopter. This opens things up a lot as well as you will be dropped a lot closer to the sheep than a hunt out of an airplane. I'd bring the scope.

Bambistew

WKR
I'd bring a second rifle too, just in case.

If you're worried about your hunt being successful based on you bringing a spotting scope or not... you must not have spent a lot of time looking for an outfitter. If you want it for your own satisfaction, go for it. I can't think of a time when I wished my partner and I both had spotting scopes, or needed them. Usually you spot with binos and take a closer look with the spotter. I'm sure your guide will let you have as much time behind the spotter as you want if you're more interested in looking than killing, you might want to let him know.

I'd rather my hunting partner bring his scope, that way I don't have to pack one.

Last edited:

204guy

WKR
I leave in less than 2 weeks, going up to the Brooks. I've went back and forth on bringing a spotter. To me I want to be as much a part of the hunt as possible. If I was a resident I'd likely be going solo or doing trips with my wife, from that perspective it's easy to justify the weight. I'd be the one carrying the spotter. What I've decided on is to compromise and bring a Nikon ed 50 with vortex ss and micro pan, leaving the 65mm spotter and 1 1/2lbs at home. Total weight is 3lb 10 1/4oz. This will also give me the ability to put my binos on the tripod. I desperately wanted the snipepod tripod to work, total weight with the ed 50 was 2lb 2oz, but it just wasn't stable enough to use digiscoping. If when we're sorting gear pre hunt and the guide really doesn't want me to carry it, that'll be fine too. I'm at 38.5lbs with everything I'd carry including rifle, excluding food and water, not to bad I don't think.

Adventure907, you sound like someone I'd enjoy hunting with,
Mav you never disappoint.:confused:

I had a similar decision to make on my dall hunt in 13. Took the spotter to base camp but ultimately decided to leave it there to save weight. I didn't miss too many opportunities to watch critters either. Although I love doing that I wanted to make sure I was in the best position to get a ram, that meant going as light as I could.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I leave in less than 2 weeks, going up to the Brooks. I've went back and forth on bringing a spotter. To me I want to be as much a part of the hunt as possible. If I was a resident I'd likely be going solo or doing trips with my wife, from that perspective it's easy to justify the weight. I'd be the one carrying the spotter. What I've decided on is to compromise and bring a Nikon ed 50 with vortex ss and micro pan, leaving the 65mm spotter and 1 1/2lbs at home. Total weight is 3lb 10 1/4oz. This will also give me the ability to put my binos on the tripod. I desperately wanted the snipepod tripod to work, total weight with the ed 50 was 2lb 2oz, but it just wasn't stable enough to use digiscoping. If when we're sorting gear pre hunt and the guide really doesn't want me to carry it, that'll be fine too. I'm at 38.5lbs with everything I'd carry including rifle, excluding food and water, not to bad I don't think.

Adventure907, you sound like someone I'd enjoy hunting with,

204, thanks for the kind words, and I hope you have a great hunt in the Brooks.

I'd say you are pretty close and doing good weight wise. I try to have my hunters somewhere between 40-50lbs, all in, including food. 50 is on the upper end of things, and I think 40 is ideal, but everybody has different limits to what they can comfortably carry. In the end though, the goal is to have one heavy *** load on the way out, and at that point, nitpicking weight becomes pretty mute. It's sounds like you've thought things out well, and should be good to go.

I've spent part of the last couple fall's in the Brooks, and I am gonna be sad not to make it up there this year. It is truly a wild and remarkable place, you are gonna have a great hunt!!!

Shrek

WKR
I limit my guys to a maximum of 35 pounds, or else we don't fly. The Pipers that I use have a flyable payload of 300 pounds, after 3 hours of fuel and pilot. So, if a client weighs 200 pounds and camp/food/salt weighs 80 pounds, then a client needs to keep his total gear weight to less than 40 pounds or we don't fly. But, that's the way I do it.

Maverick

I've learned at least one thing from this thread and that is there are some really obnoxious guides out there I don't want to waste one minute of my time with nor my money. It wouldn't matter to me if every one of his clients for the last twenty years had taken a book quality ram it wouldn't be worth putting up with him.

Oh , two things . That I wouldn't want to count on Maverick940's math skills to keep me alive ! 200lbs+80lbs+40lbs=320lbs....

Maverick940

Banned
That's fine, Shrek. I'm not needing clients. I have plenty between now and 2020. Thanks for your input, though.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Maverick I am assuming your clients don't need to bring their own food, fuel, shelter, tripod, spotter and such to keep under your 35 pound minimum?

Pack 5-7 pounds, food for 10 days is 12-15 pounds, rifle is 7-8 pounds, sleeping bag and pad is 4 pounds, rain gear set is 2.5 pounds...shoot thats dang near 35 pounds there, before base layers, puffy coat, trekking poles, game bags, binos, their own shelter and such.

Just wondering what you expect your clients to have vs. what you provide to keep them sub 35 pounds.

Maverick940

Banned
Maverick I am assuming your clients don't need to bring their own food, fuel, shelter, tripod, spotter and such to keep under your 35 pound minimum?

Pack 5-7 pounds, food for 10 days is 12-15 pounds, rifle is 7-8 pounds, sleeping bag and pad is 4 pounds, rain gear set is 2.5 pounds...shoot thats dang near 35 pounds there, before base layers, puffy coat, trekking poles, game bags, binos, their own shelter and such.

Just wondering what you expect your clients to have vs. what you provide to keep them sub 35 pounds.

Good question(s), Luke Moffat.

When doing hunts with me in Alaska, clients only need to bring personal hunting gear (sleeping bag, daypack, weapon, some clothing, light-weight raingear, footwear, an optic, and some miscellaneous small items) that would sustain them over the course of ten to fourteen days. That small amount of things can easily be kept under 35 pounds. Everything else (camping equipment, food, camp fuel, salt, first-aid supply, trophy/meat salvage supplies, specialized in-the-field gear, and an assortment of miscellaneous items needed to provide commercial services, etc.) are provided by me.

Maverick

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Good question(s), Luke Moffat.

When doing hunts with me in Alaska, clients only need to bring personal hunting gear (sleeping bag, daypack, weapon, some clothing, light-weight raingear, footwear, an optic, and some miscellaneous small items) that would sustain them over the course of ten to fourteen days. That small amount of things can easily be kept under 35 pounds. Everything else (camping equipment, food, camp fuel, salt, first-aid supply, trophy/meat salvage supplies, specialized in-the-field gear, and an assortment of miscellaneous items needed to provide commercial services, etc.) are provided by me.

Maverick

Makes sense. Not packing their own food alone makes that an extremely doable proposition.

pgk

FNG
Hi-oh now we're getting somewhere!

Maverick what does your pack weigh? 110lb? If an outfitter told me my weight limit for a sheep hunt was 35lb I'd laugh about them with the outfitter I actually booked with.