Grounds for getting kicked off a deer lease

blazingangel09

Lil-Rokslider
I split a hunting lease with some friends and friends of friends. Later year we had some issues with 2 new hunters making some uniformed, unethical choices: using an unreliable rifle (SKS with a homemade scope mount shimmed to fit), shooting at moving deer (insufficient skill to justify that shot), lost wounded deer, hunting with a crossbow they had never used prior to going into the woods (no sight in shots, no broadhead testing). All of these issues are worrisome and should be below minimum common sense but I want to cut them a little slack as new hunters learning the ropes.

What would your require of them to renew the lease for this year to avoid future issues?
At what point would you kick them off of the lease?

HbDane

WKR
Before booting them I'd have a sit down face to face on what is required to be in the party let alone to be an ethical hunter. I remember running into 2 dudes at a campground that were peeling price tags off of their bow, and accessories the afternoon prior to opening day. People who are new, need to be educated (which we did that evening). Those 2 gentlemen got in camp bow tuning, sighting in and broadhead tuning. But beyond that were extremely grateful for helping them. Sometimes pride and peacock syndrome gets the best of us. At the end even though they were spot on at 40 yards they didn't hunt the whole week I was there. They just kept practicing.

Last edited:

Freeride

FNG
Guess I missed the new hunter part.

If they are new then maybe run a little hunter education with them preseason. Take them out to sight in. Maybe invite them on them on hunt and show them the ropes.

I read too fast and assumed they were seasoned

D_Dubya

Lil-Rokslider
I believe in cutting new guys some slack, but it sounds like they showed up unprepared, uninformed and lacking any sense at all. Sounds like If you’re not willing to mentor them and do a little hand holding next season you need to give them the boot and let them be someone else’s headache.

They took a hunter safety course right? That course also covers hunter ethics, right?

I would have cut them lose long ago, and would consider cutting their friends l oh se for recommending those yahoos.

Rich M

WKR
I split a hunting lease with some friends and friends of friends. Later year we had some issues with 2 new hunters making some uniformed, unethical choices: using an unreliable rifle (SKS with a homemade scope mount shimmed to fit), shooting at moving deer (insufficient skill to justify that shot), lost wounded deer, hunting with a crossbow they had never used prior to going into the woods (no sight in shots, no broadhead testing). All of these issues are worrisome and should be below minimum common sense but I want to cut them a little slack as new hunters learning the ropes.

What would your require of them to renew the lease for this year to avoid future issues?
At what point would you kick them off of the lease?

Some folks make a big deal about everything, even if they never made their preferences known. Either you spell it out for them or you boot em. Not fair having them there with unknown expectations and you keeping a list of everything they done “wrong”.

Lotsa bs associated w hunt clubs.

jimh406

WKR
There's no way to know if they will ever know what they are doing or be ethical. I'd cut them loose and maybe be a bit better at screening for their replacements. There doesn't seem to be any advantage of keeping them. If they want to learn, they can do it without your help.

EdP

WKR
Go back to the beginning and establish agreed upon rules for participation in the lease. Boot those that don't follow the rules.

WCB

WKR
Make a shooting qualification with exact weapons they will use. Also, ditch the friends of a friends thing unless you know them relatively well or consider them a friend as well. I have several friends of friends I have hunted with and been to gatherings with that I wouldn't hesitate to invite on a hunt or into a lease.

If someone even considers hunting with an SKS, Mosin Nagant, surplus German Army fatigue or has a K-bar on their belt it would be immediate cause for termination.

First mistake was allowing unfamiliar people into the lease. Back when I was a member of clubs like that, nobody got in until they had hunted the lease with us as a guest many times. That way the existing members got a chance to get to know them and had a vote on whether to let them in or not.

FLATHEAD

WKR
How about somebody loaning them a proper weapon(s), instructing them on how to use it,
and even taking them out on stand, help them make or see a proper kill - instead of worrying
how to kick them out.
This is why I no longer join leases. And it's not the new hunters.
Reminds me that I once inquired about a lease and the guy emailed me the 16-17 pages of rules.
Which was basically a Hunt when, where and how we tell you. No Thanks.

Lots of time between now and hunting season to help these guys out.

Roofer1

Lil-Rokslider
could be averted with conversations about expectations up front prior to letting someone join. Be very clear about what is expected
THIS!. As with everything else in life, if clear expectations are given from the beginning nobody will be butt hurt if they get the axe

Elkhntr08

WKR
I believe everyone should know what’s expected of them. You can’t hold someone to standards they don’t know about.
If the miss actions continue, gone.
Funny that I just read a article that said, You get what you tolerate. If you allow misbehavior, pretty soon that’s all you have.

If you are splitting the lease, then what makes you boss? Just asking. Sounds like maybe you need to leave if everyone else is comfortable with them staying. If you are truly splitting, then everyone has a say, not just you.

id cut them some slack. Give them crap about sucking and not practicing, then give them invites to come shoot with you. If they take the opportunity to improve great. If they dont then maybe you have to have the talk about putting more effort in or get lost