Ground blind rope knots

JRam07

FNG
Got a question for you guys, I have an ameristep ground blind, hub style, and the hubs have an option of tying a rope to the outside down to a stake to help them from collapsing.

But the rope they give you has two loose ends with a plastic slider that doesn't do much I assume there is some obvious solution in missing but there's nothing in the instructions.

So how is this supposed to work?

Seems to me like I could just tie a loop on one end then use like a prusik or truckers hitch to tighten.

Pictures of what I'm talking about:
1000002565.jpg1000002566.jpg

OP
JRam07

JRam07

FNG
The plastic things work also, pull the back loop out and stake there, then the plastic slides to adjust. I prefer to tie a hitch though and ditch the plastic or aluminum.
I knew there had to be some way to use that but I couldn't figure it out.

I've use ground blinds before but never bothered with tying the hubs out, but it's been really windy and I don't want to get smacked in the face again.

Jethro

WKR
The loop of rope through the clip that is literally in the palm of your hand would be the loop that goes around ground stake.

The loose end in your fingers gets tied to blind. You will then be able to walk the plastic clip up the rope and tension.

Attach to ground blind loop with two half hitches, then to stake with taut line hitch.
Yeah if leaving the guylines attached to the blind this is good. If you want to roll them with the stakes a bowline on the stake end with the taught line on the blind end works nicely. There's so many ways to do it lol.

OP
JRam07

JRam07

FNG
The loop of rope through the clip that is literally in the palm of your hand would be the loop that goes around ground stake.

The loose end in your fingers gets tied to blind. You will then be able to walk the plastic clip up the rope and tension.
Yea, I wasn't born with the innate ability to know how that thing works, so I asked, since it wasn't in the directions and searching the internet is worthless now a days.

Jethro

WKR
Yea, I wasn't born with the innate ability to know how that thing works, so I asked, since it wasn't in the directions and searching the internet is worthless now a days.
I understand. Those slide clips are the kind of thing you have to relearn every time you set up blind/tent.

Few times I learned how to tie the knot that acts as a tensioner. Every time I want to use the knot, I can’t remember how to tie it.

Marbles

WK Donkey
Classified Approved
I understand. Those slide clips are the kind of thing you have to relearn every time you set up blind/tent.

Few times I learned how to tie the knot that acts as a tensioner. Every time I want to use the knot, I can’t remember how to tie it.
It is a clove hitch with an extra turn on the side in the loop and the bitter end outside the loop.

You can add a third turn inside the loop if slipping becomes an issue.

Erict

WKR
HERE is one of the best places to learn and remember how to tie various knots, etc. Clicking it will take you to the Midshipman's Hitch, which is what others here are recommending. Click the play button to watch the knot tied. The site has probably every knot/hitch, etc you'll ever need.

OP
JRam07

JRam07

FNG
HERE is one of the best places to learn and remember how to tie various knots, etc. Clicking it will take you to the Midshipman's Hitch, which is what others here are recommending. Click the play button to watch the knot tied. The site has probably every knot/hitch, etc you'll ever need.
Yea that site is what comes up whenever I look how to tie some knot.

Marbles

WK Donkey
Classified Approved
@Marbles I think the one I know is the taught line knot. I tied it a few times after reading this thread
Yes, taughtline hitch is the name I know it by. I had trouble remembering it, but tying it in to another knot I know well (the clove hitch) in my memory and building off of that made it easier.

Of course memory is an odd thing and what helps one person may not help another.

I replaced the lines with orange blaze paracord. I got tired of busting my clumzy but tripping over the black lines. I just tie a slip loop in both ends. I replaced the stakes as well with better ones. I use the slip loop to attach to the stake then tighten the line and push the stake in where ever it needs to go to keep the line tight.