Gritty Bowmen

brocksw

WKR
I'm not insulting gritty bowmen and I still enjoy listening in during my work day, but does it seem like it has turned into more of a talk show? I've really liked their older podcasts which spend most of their time discussing dos and donts, gear comparisons, Archery equipment, elk hunting tips/strategies, conservation etc.... it just seems to be that it's gotten away from that and every week is a talk show promoting a guide/individual/company or whatever. Some of the ladder are good podcasts too and some are still informative...but in general my favorite things about that podcast seem to be gone... maybe you can only talk about gear for so long? Just my 2 cents...

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Last edited:

HookUp

WKR
They keep topics random but its always archery. If you don't like that pod cast you don't have to listen. Brian does a great job and some of the chat is light listening instead of an expert telling you exactly what you have to use. One of my favorite pod casts but I will be the first to admit there is several episodes I don't listen to, especially the trad talk stuff, but if I ever get into trad I know where I am going first.

OP
B

brocksw

WKR
They keep topics random but its always archery. If you don't like that pod cast you don't have to listen. Brian does a great job and some of the chat is light listening instead of an expert telling you exactly what you have to use. One of my favorite pod casts but I will be the first to admit there is several episodes I don't listen to, especially the trad talk stuff, but if I ever get into trad I know where I am going first.
I'm aware I don't have to listen...

elkyinzer

WKR
I like bowhunting as much as anyone, but it takes some creative minds to come up with as much content as they have in such a short period of time. It's bound to get diluted pretty quickly.

OP
B

brocksw

WKR
I like bowhunting as much as anyone, but it takes some creative minds to come up with as much content as they have in such a short period of time. It's bound to get diluted pretty quickly.
Very true... I've tried to keep that in mind as well...

I just think its hard to put out technical info every time, especially with how many he puts out on a regular basis.

Some of them aren't my favorite, but then there are some ive listened to multiple times. Ive picked up a TON of good tips from the podcasts as a new elk hunter. I hope he continues to put out good podcasts and videos.

I think there's only so many things you can talk about and sooner or later you have to pay the bills.

I dont mind that its "talk show " on occasion. Just listening to peeps like i believe it was Snyder and Muleyslayer ,when they were on together , i was on a treadmill crackin up at the stories they shared. Sometimes you learn stuff by just listening to people talk or share stories

tommymo

Lil-Rokslider
I don't what I would do with out this pod cast, it's been a life saver for my commute into NYC.

I have to admit, some of the recent podcasts have been pretty dull, not giving up on it yet.

Brock A

Super Moderator
Staff member
I like the "talk show" version better. I like listening to other successful people tell their stories and learn about how they hunt.

kpk

WKR
Keep in mind it's not hunting season yet. My guess is once the seasons start up there will be a lull then a lot more hunting/gear/stories talk.

dunner543

Lil-Rokslider
I still like most of the episodes but I get most excited when they are talking about gear. They can only do that so much though because things don't change on a weekly basis (well I guess for some of us but we aren't as dialed in cause we don't spend 200 days/yr in the field). I like the hunting stories too, well most of the stories really. I was dying when the mtn ops guys were talking about their plane ride last week.

tttoadman

WKR
I go through some and not others as I am not an archery guy. I don't mind the mindless entertainment of the non-technical episodes, because they are usually the most entertaining. Any podcast where we get first hand accounts of the old FAT Aron is usually a winner in my book.

dunner543

Lil-Rokslider
I definitely get most excited about the gear stuff but I like most of the other episodes too. Can only talk about gear so much. I was dying when the mtn ops guys were talking about their plane trip last week. Hunting stories are always good too.

hntnnut

Lil-Rokslider
I just started listening to them a week or so ago, and am loving most all of them. My only hang up is when they start talking shop talk, the business side of pod casts.

Richard

Gritty bowmen and the meateater are my favorite hunting podcasts.

I think they have mentioned expanding their focus and shifting their format a bit. It evolves. I still like it.

I do agree it has lost some steam but frankly I do not know how they keep up the great content at the frequency they were putting it out. It was so good for so long. I will admit, the last few, I got about 50% through it and marked it played. I am not giving up on it.

strand

Lil-Rokslider
I have around a dozen podcasts I follow, and Gritty Bowmen and Hunt Talk Radio (Randy Newberg Unfiltered) are the 2 that get a listen every time there is a new episode. I like the variety Gritty Bowmen offers. I enjoy turning it on and not being forced to listen to (or fast forward through) 5-10 minutes of advertisements at the beginning of the podcast, random 1-2 minute commercial breaks for sponsors, then another 5-10 minutes of sponsor talk at the end. My only gripe is when I get 2 minutes in to a podcast when I'm driving or lifting and Brian or Aron say something like, "you should really watch the video if you can." Then I have to find something else to listen to until I can find time to watch it!

The technical stuff gets boring. I would much rather listen to some guys bull shit and tell hunting stories.

vanish

WKR
I listen to the show while rucking around the neighborhood with my dog. Makes it easy to forget there is 75 pounds on my back.

The technical stuff gets boring. I would much rather listen to some guys bull shit and tell hunting stories.

I'm pretty much with you there, although I liked learning about their experience learning traditional.

I like the hunting story episodes best. Comparing Colton's or Daggers bull story on Gritty Bowmen vs Eastmans magazine, the podcast was so much better.

And you know what, there are millions of hunters out there and each has their own stories. A lot of untapped content, imo.