Grid fleece comparison

I hadn't even seen that one. I must have been under a rock!
Well it’s so hard to tell them apart on the website. I went to one of the shows and tried on several. It was the most like the typical Columbia half-zip fleeces I like, except it has a smoother outer material and kind of a reinforced sleeve. I’ve been happy with it.

OP
E
Well it’s so hard to tell them apart on the website. I went to one of the shows and tried on several. It was the most like the typical Columbia half-zip fleeces I like, except it has a smoother outer material and kind of a reinforced sleeve. I’ve been happy with it.
I'll have to give it a look! How's the fit?

OP
E
OK boys got a couple more

Ended up snagging a mountain hardware glacial trail half zip and it's the bees knees. The weight is almost identical to the sitka midweight and they do make a hooded option as well. Got it online from dicks sporting goods for 25$ and at that rate I'd call it a steal. Super breathable, very stretchy fabric. So far very much a contender for me as far as best I've tried.

First lite Klamath and Kryptek cronos quarter zip both incoming for review. I needed a couple non hooded options for whitetail and in town use and stumbled into stellar deals on them.

OP
E
OK, relieved the kryptek cronos (non hooded) as well as as a first lite Klamath and a midway usa elk fork

The best value grid fleece right now is the elk fork and it's not even close. 27$ is a steal. The condor is a really close second with what seems to be a big variance in quality and fit, but overall my top 3 favorites as of right now are the Mountaim hardware Summit, Sitka Heavyweight and the first lite Klammath.

The MH Glacier peak is the best light grid I've found with the Final Appraoch being a really, really close second if not a tie. Both perform as good as the eberlestock with less pilling and the MH is as good or better than the sitka midweight which is saying something because I think that one is a gem. At regular MSRP the sitka midweight is 99$ and the MH glacier peak is higher than that so if a guy can't find a sale MH I'd go sitka or FA for sure.

The klamath is interesting to me. I actually really like it. Fit is great with very long arms which works well for me. It's slightly heavier than the sitka, but not as warm as the MH summit the Mountain Ops grid fleece or the Midway Elk fork (the midway is for sure the warmest for the price.

I like the chest pocket and the zippers feel better than the MTN Ops by a lot, but the fabric of the mountain ops has proven to be very very durable for me.

I really like the other kryptek items I have but the cronos isn't really special. Fit is fine, thumb loops are fine, material is thin and breathes ok, but not as well as some. For 44$ on sale I'd say it's a good deal but there are better choices I'd you don't care about camo pattern.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Check out the R1 Air- just got my hands on one (but the wife claimed it! :ROFLMAO:). It’s pretty nice, a little lighter than the regular R1 and a lot more breathable.

OP
E
Still doing the Lord’s work I see 🙌🏻

Any chance you’ve put your subjective thoughts and ratings into a spreadsheet of sorts to look at all at once?

Any personal experience with PolarTec Alpha Direct in any weights?
I'm not nearly that cool!

I can mock up a spreadsheet with garment weights and see if it helps. I have a theory on testing the warmth retention properties of each with a fixed temp object (water bottle warned to exactly the same temp) and a timer to see which ones one insulate better

I have a couple garments with alpha and they're amazing. Most are spendy and less durable than an average grid fleece but they're fantastic. @mtwarden turned me onto them and windshirts and it's been the best combo for high exertion in cold or windy weather.

OP
E
Check out the R1 Air- just got my hands on one (but the wife claimed it! :ROFLMAO:). It’s pretty nice, a little lighter than the regular R1 and a lot more breathable.
You know I still have to eat crow to buy patagonia. Kinda like growing up in a
Chevy household and then buying a Ford. I had to call my dad and warn him lol.

I'll scope the interwebs for a sale and grab one to give it a go!