Greetings from AZ

fingers

FNG
Hello,

been lurking here off and on for a year and decided to join the forum. My name is Jonah and from central Arizona. I live and work in Phoenix, ick, but have to pay the bills.

I'm mostly a finger bow recurve and compound archery guy and have gotten two elk. I'm getting more into rifle shooting as well for more opportunities and back pack hunting. In AZ there is a fat guy on a quad near every tank so I'm getting more into overnighting it away from the roads.

Greetings everyone!

OP
F

fingers

FNG
Thanks guys.

My near term goals are to have a pack that is capable of meat hauling, day hunting, and short multi day overnights. And...carry a heavy rifle. That's asking a lot from a single system. As user of Dana Design packs from the mid 90's I'm drawn to Mystery Ranch but for the needs I just mentioned maybe a Kifaru.

Lot's of gear junkies and users of quality gear on this site. Nice inputs on reviews on the forum.

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
Don't give up on Mystery Ranch yet. They are supposed to be coming out with a new lighter system very soon. Also check out Stone Glacier.

Love your state. Been elk, deer, and turkey hunting there. Going to be out during Christmas to deer and javelina hunt along the border.

Az Hunter

FNG
I have a Dana that I used on a Dall sheep hunt. Worked great but very heavy. I borrowed a Barney's pack for a recent mountain goat hunt. I was great for hauling heavy loads but could be a little unsteady at times. I have a Kifaru EMR II on order. I have heard a lot of good things about it and it looks to be perfect for my needs. I look forward to giving it a work out

IaTrent

Lil-Rokslider
I have a question for Az residents. Are you guaranteed a resident Elk tag or is it a draw system?

Az Hunter

FNG
Draw. Difficult to draw a bull tag in a premium unit. Easy to draw a cow tag or nonprime unit

OP
F

fingers

FNG
Thanks everyone.

Az Hunter- I like my Dana Arc Flex Terraplane but it is not really suited for hunting.

Steve O- I'll always be interested in Mystery Ranch's offerings. But for now I ordered a Duplex frame. I still have to pick a bag.

This makes me feel dated but I remember when you could buy an over the counter archery bull tag for 60 dollars!! Hahahah, now that seems ridiculous with the commercialization of hunting, the proliferation of hunting shows and big box stores, good luck it's all hard now. Pretty frustrating really. But that's why many of us are pushing farther out and packing in.