FNG from SC

Been lurking and reading gear reviews & decided to join. If it's tasty and legal, I probably hunt it. Cut my teeth squirrel hunting in AL & MS. We would hunt squirrels in the morning, use the guts to catch catfish in the afternoon, and fish in the creeks when it got hot. Next thing on the list was deer hunting as I couldn't sit still enough for turkey hunting. Most of the deer hunting I did as a kid was just population control. I moved out west to MT for a few years and hunted what/when I could (school, work, got married, etc). Moved back to AL and then to SC. Now, I hunt public land but mostly land within 1.5 hours of Greenville, SC. If anyone has suggestions for getting my kids into hunting I'm all ears. So far, no interest is shown. 😮‍💨

eddielasvegas

WKR & Chairman of the Rokslide Welcoming Committee
Classified Approved
As the self-appointed chairman of the welcoming committee, it is my privilege to extend a laurel, and hearty handshake (virtual, of course) to our new SC member.

Eddie

Welcome aboard! Start the youngsters off on camping and shooting and ease into hunting. I'm in the same boat with my grand kids. So far I got em into camping and shooting still working on the hunting. Nest of luck.

OP
M
Welcome aboard! Start the youngsters off on camping and shooting and ease into hunting. I'm in the same boat with my grand kids. So far I got em into camping and shooting still working on the hunting. Nest of luck.
Thanks DM. They're into camping and shooting. My son had a knack for iron sights. My wife is the Goldie on camping but I requested she make a list of every objection she had to camping in order of importance. I should have her list knocked out in a few weeks. If momma's on board, the kids will follow. After that, I'll ease then into hunting with dogs (squirrel & rabbit) but may go ask in with deer hunting. Time will tell. Thanks for the great suggestions and keep them coming.

FLS

WKR
Hello to a fellow South Carolinian. Dove hunting is a good hunt for kids. Try and find a private invite, the public fields scan be a zoo first few shoots.

OP
M
Sage advice...
I've gotten mine into shooting and camping. My son can't sit still at 14 so deer hunting was no fun for him. However, I took him on a squirrel hunt with the crew from SC BHA and he enjoyed that. We even jumped some deer.

Left month, he asked if we could do a camping trip just for fishing. I told him if he got A/B honor roll, we would (I would have done it regardless of honor roll). Well, he got A/B honor roll so I'm looking for lakes to take my dude to for a father & son camping and fishing trip. I'm probably more excited than he is!

OP
M
Hello to a fellow South Carolinian. Dove hunting is a good hunt for kids. Try and find a private invite, the public fields scan be a zoo first few shoots.
Great suggestion/advice. I'll get him familiar with shooting sheet and see how he does. I don't know anyone with fields (I'm a public land owner 😉). Are their private pay to hunt fields in the Upstate that are any good? Feel free to DM me if U don't want to reply in front of the whole world. I can't DM yet (FNG & all).