FNG from Northern CA

Greetings everyone, bowhunting FNG from Northern CA here. I started hunting in 2018 and lucked into arrowing a forky that year. The next year I got an elk tag in Idaho (before it got crazy) and arrowed a rag horn (4x4) bull. Unfortunately, the past few seasons have now been a swing-and-a-miss and I'm getting more and more frustrated. I'm happy with my gear for the most part, so don't have to change a bunch there. The main reason I'm dipping my toes into Rokslide is to see what I've been missing. I'd like to hunt spot-and-stalk style in the mountains, but noticing here in CA a lot of the areas I've hunted aren't very conducive to that style of hunting because the timber is so thick. So, I'm open to any and all suggestions! Thanks in advance!

IH8Cali

Lil-Rokslider
Welcome! Definitely sympathize with your situation, the last few years I hunted CA were TOUGH. Love Chico, miss that place a ton. Stick around, tons of good info and quite a few characters here!

eddielasvegas

WKR & Chairman of the Rokslide Welcoming Committee
Classified Approved
As the self-appointed chairman of the welcoming committee, it is my privilege to extend a laurel, and hearty handshake (virtual, of course) to our new member.

Eddie

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
Spot and stalk hunting the general zones of the sierras would definitely not be my first choice. You can get lucky up high some years depending on snow/weather before the migration down, those granite bucks are some of my all time favorite hunts. I hunted and backpacked those mountains for 30 years before I moved.

To a newer hunter in that area, I’d recommend dropping some elevation and finding spots with regular/fresh sign. There are way more deer living in the woods at the tree line than getting up above into the bare granite.

Find favorable deer terrain meaning gradual drainages that form natural hips. These usually lead to a water source and tons of deer crossings/beds.

Go up even when it’s not season. Learn their migration and elevation patterns depending on an early or late snow year.

Takes YEARS of being in with the deer as often as possible to be able to kill deer in the sierras every year. Anyone who says it doesn’t is hunting private and/or lying.

Feel free to PM with questions. I will not give you “spots” but if you show me where you plan to hunt I can steer you in the right direction.

Welcome,

I’m OTC D3-5
rifle and it’s thick timber, I’ve been at 8-9k looking for mule deer next to the X zones and it’s not easy.
They are around but the big bucks have been elusive. Im going to jump down to 3-6k and target black oaks next.

It’s going to rain tonight/sat where I’m at so that should get the deer moving in the daytime a little more.

I don't have any advice but wish you well and am confident you’ll get a nice buck.

Side note Fall turkey is coming up and I’ve seen a lot of huge toms this year.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
Welcome,

I’m OTC D3-5
rifle and it’s thick timber, I’ve been at 8-9k looking for mule deer next to the X zones and it’s not easy.
They are around but the big bucks have been elusive. Im going to jump down to 3-6k and target black oaks next.

It’s going to rain tonight/sat where I’m at so that should get the deer moving in the daytime a little more.

I don't have any advice but wish you well and am confident you’ll get a nice buck.

Side note Fall turkey is coming up and I’ve seen a lot of huge toms this year.
Use that rain to your advantage and still hunt! Some of my best bucks in D3-5 were still hunting rain.

OP
mthomasondpt
Spot and stalk hunting the general zones of the sierras would definitely not be my first choice. You can get lucky up high some years depending on snow/weather before the migration down, those granite bucks are some of my all time favorite hunts. I hunted and backpacked those mountains for 30 years before I moved.

To a newer hunter in that area, I’d recommend dropping some elevation and finding spots with regular/fresh sign. There are way more deer living in the woods at the tree line than getting up above into the bare granite.

Find favorable deer terrain meaning gradual drainages that form natural hips. These usually lead to a water source and tons of deer crossings/beds.

Go up even when it’s not season. Learn their migration and elevation patterns depending on an early or late snow year.

Takes YEARS of being in with the deer as often as possible to be able to kill deer in the sierras every year. Anyone who says it doesn’t is hunting private and/or lying.

Feel free to PM with questions. I will not give you “spots” but if you show me where you plan to hunt I can steer you in the right direction.
Thanks a lot! May take you up on that sometime!

2-Stix

WKR
I am really glad you had success early on. You know there there, but they need to be around at the right time and place. That is what takes time. I hunt A south...its thick stuff.