Great glass, buy once, cry once

HTNFSH

FNG
I own two pair of Vortex Razor HD bino's. (10x42 and 12x50) I've never had a spotter and want to "invest" just one time. The one-eye'd glass has kept me from pulling the trigger.

This past archery elk season, I learned that a spotter (and my lazy butt not carrying a tripod for bino's) would have greatly improved my odds of locating animals. I'm committed because I'm planning more western hunting and want to do more digiscoping at home.

Seriously considering
Swaro STS 20-60x80 value for $$$ Single system, great FOV
or
Swaro BTX coupled with 85mm Objective $$$$ but it does it do everything well, with moderate weight?

I'm not sure if I like angled or straight more, but using two eyes instead of one is very appealing. No local shops near me to test and the internet has been a deep dark rabbit hole.

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Is it for finding elk or judging elk?

I can’t see needing the spotter, but it’s a choice. A better quality 12x or a nice 15x can spot elk out very far away.

You definitely need a tripod.

IdahoBeav

WKR
A spotter for elk is probably only needed if you have a premier tag and are picking the best 330"+ bull to make a hunt on. If you're on an average tag- you're probably killing anything that is better than a rag, anything legal, branch, etc., whatever your standards are. In this case, good binos alone will suffice. Also, a large spotter requires a lot of space and adds weight to your pack.

PHo

WKR
I would go with the spotter over the BTX system. The spotter will give you the ability to zoom in to 60x while the BTX is gonna be fixed at 30x. For western hunting I think that a spotter would be a lot more versatile, especially since you already have 12x50’s. Whatever your choice, it is important that you try out all the options before commiting to the purchase. That way you’ll get a really good idea of what will work for you and your style of hunting.

Geewhiz

WKR
Is it for finding elk or judging elk?

I can’t see needing the spotter, but it’s a choice. A better quality 12x or a nice 15x can spot elk out very far away.

You definitely need a tripod.
To each their own but you couldnt pay me to give up my spotter for a pair of 15s. I have a pair of 10x42s and an 85mm spotter. I can glass a reasonable distance with the binos and they obviously have their place, but I cant really get comfortable with a tripod and intently glass elk on ridges 6, 7, 8, 10 miles out with a pair of binos like I can with a spotter.

One day when I'm rich I'd like either a kowa 99 or a swaro btx on the 115.

I suppose a significant factor is the kind of country you find yourself hunting.

Walkstoomuch

Lil-Rokslider
As already stated, a tripod will greatly increase your ability with binos. Elk are big and as long as there aren't wild horses in your unit then a spotter probably isn't necessary. However necessary isn't always the reason to buy new gear is it

Edit - I'm never looking more than a few miles away as I'm not able to cover that much ground, so perhaps a big spotter is more useful in your situation

jimh406

WKR
One thing to consider is that you also need a very good tripod with good head. They are not cheap and the light ones are pretty pricey. Do you want to carry that much weight for the areas you are spotting? That's up to you. You'll need a very long distance to make use of spotting scope just to locate animals. The field of view is quite a bit less. Weight isn't as important if it will stay in the truck.

After you spot the game at long distances, you have to close the distance and hope they don't start walking. Of course, Elk can walk very fast. By the time you walked down/up a hill, they would be gone. But, you could be ready for the next day. Your shooting range is way limited with a bow, so I'm not sure how effective you will use a spotting scope, but maybe you have it figured out. I don't know.

An alternative is to update your binoculars, and also spot more game, especially if you add a tripod mount and tripod. I think you'll see a big difference with Swaro binoculars compared to your current sets.

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
To each their own but you couldnt pay me to give up my spotter for a pair of 15s. I have a pair of 10x42s and an 85mm spotter. I can glass a reasonable distance with the binos and they obviously have their place, but I cant really get comfortable with a tripod and intently glass elk on ridges 6, 7, 8, 10 miles out with a pair of binos like I can with a spotter.

One day when I'm rich I'd like either a kowa 99 or a swaro btx on the 115.

I suppose a significant factor is the kind of country you find yourself hunting.
Country does make a difference for sure. There are times I could look through a spotter, but I am comfortable glassing two miles plus with binos on a tripod. If you can glass further and also get to where you are glassing, a spotter makes sense for sure.

Preference does come into play as well. I ran a spotter for a season, and just found that I didn't like looking through a spotter all day.

I don't think that the difference between the spotter or big binos will make the same difference as getting a tripod. Its a huge step from hand held binos to glassing from a tripod.

Marshfly

WKR
Saying where you are would probably get a local to message you for a lookie loo through a set of whatever.

Just saying. I’d be more than happy to meet someone local for a viewing session with my Kowa 77 or whatever. Most here are the same.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
15's on a tripod and you'll be set. Can have the binos off and tripod folded up ready to move within seconds with the outdoorsman adapter. Meopta Meostar 15's are what I actually prefer over Swaro for hunting.

OP
HTNFSH

HTNFSH

FNG
I know this topic gets beat to death, so I really appreciate the feedback and why I love this forum.

I was glassing open hillsides at 700yards without a tripod. I'd like to be able to peer into the Aspen groves and small open pockets and burn area at the 1-2 mile range.

Not just elk, but other game as well.

I have fun glassing whitetails at home and can reach about 1000 yards but am/pm twighlight antlers are tough to make out even with a tripod.

I've had a set of NL pures in my hands. Edge clarity is superior next to my razors, but it's not good for a 3rd pair of binos. Of course, inside the store is a far different experience than seeing them perform in the wild.

Thanks again, everyone.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I know this topic gets beat to death, so I really appreciate the feedback and why I love this forum.

I was glassing open hillsides at 700yards without a tripod. I'd like to be able to peer into the Aspen groves and small open pockets and burn area at the 1-2 mile range.

Not just elk, but other game as well.

I have fun glassing whitetails at home and can reach about 1000 yards but am/pm twighlight antlers are tough to make out even with a tripod.

I've had a set of NL pures in my hands. Edge clarity is superior next to my razors, but it's not good for a 3rd pair of binos. Of course, inside the store is a far different experience than seeing them perform in the wild.

Thanks again, everyone.

As a coues whitetail junkie, I know a lot gets done with 12x EL and 15 SLC, looking in bushes and ocotillo for the grey ghost.

More are using the BTX who can afford it. I think it was coues hunters that started putting together two 65 spotters for big eyes, so bigger isn’t a bad thing.

Big glass will look into those spots. Before you do that, also consider upgrading your 12 for clarity or move to 15 for magnification. They can look into the spots better than your Razor 12 when you are getting into shaded pockets.

In the field, man I was shocked by the EL over my Razor HD. I could see into bushes significantly better.

Just a thought.

Only you can decide how much weight you want to carry and how it suits your hunting, but I’ll say this—the BTX is fun and comfortable to glass with. Add in the 1.7x magnifier for when you need and closer look and you’ve got a formidable setup. For me, the BTX elevates glassing from an aspect of hunting to an enjoyable pursuit in its own right.

Not sure how much you’d gain with the 85mm over 65mm, besides weight.

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Only you can decide how much weight you want to carry and how it suits your hunting, but I’ll say this—the BTX is fun and comfortable to glass with. Add in the 1.7x magnifier for when you need and closer look and you’ve got a formidable setup. For me, the BTX elevates glassing from an aspect of hunting to an enjoyable pursuit in its own right.

Not sure how much you’d gain with the 85mm over 65mm, besides weight.
I love glassing!

Deadfall

WKR
I glass ALOT. Over the years I've tried lots of options with lots of brands, sizes and setups. As a guide I found being able to point out game ahead of time is far more productive than bouncing around the woods with guys that are not used to terrain or in shape for it. As my name says I spend alot of time in nasty places. Far easier to get guys fired up about the adventure if they can see animals where I want to go.

I found 10x50 glass to be perfect for bino glassing. Anything over 10 is too shaky for me unless on a tripod. I don't find ROI between 10 and 15 to be substantial. I've also found that if you are going with a spotter, I would not use anything less than an 85mm. The difference between a 65 and 85 is 3/4 of a pound. The ability to pick out details with the 85 far outweighs the 11 ounces you save.

I use the 85 for more than animal detail. With the 85 I can look into burns through deadfall, pick apart brush and catch bedded game in places the 65 won't touch. If a 65 won't touch it 10 or 15x binos dang sure are not. this is especially handy when I am hunting off my back. Allows me to glass distances that warrant moving camp, sometimes even going back to rig changing access locations, campspots and whats in bag. From there I leave spotter, grab lightweight tripod and just use glass from there.

The 85 also allows me to look for travel routes and approaches. Several times I have found animal routes through glass that allowed me to set a hunter in a certain area and wait for animal to come down. Especially with older game this is real handy since they will usually take the road less traveled. Especially in high pressure areas.

I have forund the 65mm to be overrated. If you don't want to pack the extra weight of 85mm definitely go with 15x bino on a tripod.

Either way carry a tripod for distance glassing.

If you go with a spotter definitely use an angled spotter. You can glass several angles from one position. Straight spotter you will have to move tripod and everything or else sit in funky/tiring positions. Keep in mind the angled spotter will take a bit to get used to.

Weights:
15x56 bino-41.6 ounces
65mm spotter- 55.9 ounces
85mm spotter-67.4 ounces

1.5 pounds is the weight savings from bottom to top. The glassing ability and tread savings on your body and gear far outweigh the weight savings.

This is all based on swaro weights. I know other makes are lighter. In my mind and my experience. Swaro is only way to go!

Whatever you go with, if you are spending significant time looking through glass you will get eye fatigue. However, the headaches will disappear with high end glass. Mid to low end glass you will get headaches. At least that is the experience of me and everyone I've worked with.

One last thing. With a spotter you can rest eyes. I made a patch for off eye that allows me to not have to squint. Almost eliminates facial contraction which even further reduces glassing fatigue. When one eye gets tired I switch patch and use other eye. I can spend at least 2 times longer behind glass picking country apart then someone using binos.

If you go with swaro. Go with ATX not ATS.
you can always go to rent outdoor gear and rent stuff you want to try. Then see for yourself.

OP
HTNFSH

HTNFSH

FNG
Thanks for the thorough post Deadfall. I spent way too much time climbing through that stuff on my trip. Still have nightmares...hahahaha.

I honestly thought the choice would be easier.

I would check out a few other options.

First would be the previous generation of Swarovski binoculars that can be used with a 2c booster, so you have binoculars with a “spotter” function.

See this for more details

A better option than BTX is dual spotters, Adams Adpaters in Tuscon has a handful of 664 setups left. The 664 is being discontinued by Kowa, hatchett Jack on here said they’re almost as good as Highlanders. May not suit your needs but thought I’d let you know .