Grand Forks North Dakota

Mojave

WKR
We are headed to Grand Forks to look at the town, possible new job location.

What we know:
1. Teachers pay is ok, so the wife is excited.
2. Cabelas and a Scheels, so that's cool.
3. Red and Red Lake Rivers with paddlefish, trout, walleyes and pike!
4. Housing is high, but not as high as other places. But doesn't seem to be dropping.

Anything really bad, good or wierd we need to know about?

Pick housing carefully. The Red floods frequently to dependably. The economy is steady to growing from what I could see. Even the chinese want to buy there. (My son just moved back from there. A transfer.)

I am in Fargo which is 1 hour south. Have customers there so have been there countless times.
As we say "it might be cold and flat but boy is it windy!"
Long cold winters
Good local whitetail, fishing, waterfowl, deer within 30-120 minutes
Not a Scheels super store but pretty good
Cabelas smallest store but works for some items
Yes, can flood so ask what happened in 1997 to anything you are looking at. They have aerials. Much diking has been done since then however.
Cosmopolitan Winnipeg is a few hours north
Fargo is 1 hour south with lots to offer retail and food wise
Good public schools and place to raise kids
Hockey is king
You better like winter...we are deep in snow right now with a late spring coming, might break the record this year of 141 days not above 40 degrees...gets long.
Some nice neighborhoods with well built homes comparing to other places I have seen

PM or post any other questions if you wish

nodakian

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I am in Fargo which is 1 hour south. Have customers there so have been there countless times.
As we say "it might be cold and flat but boy is it windy!"
Long cold winters
Good local whitetail, fishing, waterfowl, deer within 30-120 minutes
Not a Scheels super store but pretty good
Cabelas smallest store but works for some items
Yes, can flood so ask what happened in 1997 to anything you are looking at. They have aerials. Much diking has been done since then however.
Cosmopolitan Winnipeg is a few hours north
Fargo is 1 hour south with lots to offer retail and food wise
Good public schools and place to raise kids
Hockey is king
You better like winter...we are deep in snow right now with a late spring coming, might break the record this year of 141 days not above 40 degrees...gets long.
Some nice neighborhoods with well built homes comparing to other places I have seen

PM or post any other questions if you wish
All 100% true which is why I live on the warm side of the state.

Snowhunter11

Lil-Rokslider
Grand forks is a good clean community. No worries about floods in town from river after dike was built.
Unique things/places ..
Red pepper
Widmans candy
The Ralph
UND
Etc
Lots of lakes nearby make summer /ice fishing enjoyable.

Good luck. Any questions I can try help..

Have a family member that went to UND . Nice town. all above spot on . Not sure where your coming from , but you cannot downplay the cold and wind . Im east of there in minnesota "with trees/forests" . That open prairie can be harsh in the winter. Good luck

Scoot

WKR
You're not going to find trout or paddlefish in GF in any number at all- not sure where you got that info. I'm not a GF fan, but crime is reasonable, decent housing options, ND has tons of great hunting options. The beet factory identified is not a big deal in terms of the community (and not a ton of E or SE wind).

KurtR

WKR
Went there a few times when I lived in Fargo hockey is king. Walleye and cat fish in the red. Good waterfowl hunting. Crime for us that grew up in dakotas is people getting dui or car break ins. Might have been 30 murders combined in the two states last year

ProStaffSteve

Lil-Rokslider
Took one 5 day fishing vacation to North Dakota, seemed like South Dakota but a little flatter. I think you need to rethink, try MN or WI before leveling up to the Dakotas. Maybe the metropolitan part of SD

Mt Al

WKR
I've been there twice, so am an expert. I mainly met with UND people. Just loved the atmosphere, people, "culture" in terms of non-elitist, get-stuff-done, etc.. The aviation program is bonkers in terms of how comprehensive it is and is only going to get better with the addition of UAV tech - which is already impressive. Visitors from all over the planet are in Grand Forks long-term, learning from the best, commercial, military, ag, etc.. Won't be surprised if UND doesn't cash in on space science in addition to aviation and UAVs in the near future.

Got to go to a hockey game in the crazy/awesome stadium, nicer that most pro hockey stadiums apparently. What a blast!

Insanely cold when I was there and one of the Deans told me "What's nice is that it's so flat that if your dog runs away, you can watch him run for three days". He had just moved there and really liked the people and more relaxed culture.

The above comment about Fargo being an hour away: am always impressed at how underrated Fargo is in terms of a great place to work and visit.

Have a close friend who lived in Jamestown, ND for 15 years, now in Seattle, and wants to move back but his wife would kill him.

My visits were short, freezing and I personally really liked it, wonderful people in Grand Forks and Fargo, so much so that I'm trying to get more work there.

Superdoo

WKR
I’m in Bismarck. Please tell us where you’re coming from.
I grew up in the suburbs of Minneapolis. I thought I knew what cold was.
My first winter here it was negative 30 for 3 weeks straight. That means anytime you’re outside you legitimately get frost bite on exposed skin in 5 minutes!
I’ll never forget it.
Been here 15 years now.

GF has some of the worst weather in the state.

Blackcats06

Lil-Rokslider
I've been there twice, so am an expert. I mainly met with UND people. Just loved the atmosphere, people, "culture" in terms of non-elitist, get-stuff-done, etc.. The aviation program is bonkers in terms of how comprehensive it is and is only going to get better with the addition of UAV tech - which is already impressive. Visitors from all over the planet are in Grand Forks long-term, learning from the best, commercial, military, ag, etc.. Won't be surprised if UND doesn't cash in on space science in addition to aviation and UAVs in the near future.

Got to go to a hockey game in the crazy/awesome stadium, nicer that most pro hockey stadiums apparently. What a blast!

Insanely cold when I was there and one of the Deans told me "What's nice is that it's so flat that if your dog runs away, you can watch him run for three days". He had just moved there and really liked the people and more relaxed culture.

The above comment about Fargo being an hour away: am always impressed at how underrated Fargo is in terms of a great place to work and visit.

Have a close friend who lived in Jamestown, ND for 15 years, now in Seattle, and wants to move back but his wife would kill him.

My visits were short, freezing and I personally really liked it, wonderful people in Grand Forks and Fargo, so much so that I'm trying to get more work there.
Sorry Fargo is OVER rated. Maybe 20 years ago it was under rated but it isn't that great now.

cnelk

WKR
Grand Forks?

I spent a week there one night. 😉

Seriously, I grew up 160 miles NE of there. We used to go there to get groceries and get a ‘big town feel’

There are some big catfish in the Red River. Also some good ‘coon hunting.

Some public land in the vicinity that can be good hunting.

But you won’t find me living there.

Good luck in your quest.

Grand forks is a good clean community. No worries about floods in town from river after dike was built.
Unique things/places ..
Red pepper
Widmans candy
The Ralph
UND
Etc
Lots of lakes nearby make summer /ice fishing enjoyable.

Good luck. Any questions I can try help..

There's one thing about the Red Pepper, though - the food is trash unless you're trashed 😆

Schism

WKR
I lived in Grand Forks for four years during my college days. I enjoyed my time there and wouldn't have a problem moving back again. The winters can be brutal if you allow them to get to you but overall it's a good community with good people. There are decent outdoor recreational opportunities around the area and lots of opportunities for residents within the entire state.