GPS

Hogs122

FNG
My GPS is outdated. It is a mapping model but the resolution and software sucks. Has anyone used the DeLorme units with the SPOT Locator, text messaging and tracking options? This would negate any need for a satellite phone but I was wondering if the rates were ridiculous since they know that a it could replace the need for a phone. Also, I wondered how the maps and interface work for hunters. I have messed with some of the touch screen units and wasn't impressed with them. Anyone have

I have an ONX chip in my garmin gps. It gives me everything I need for work and hunting without any external link. Your choice.

AgentP

Lil-Rokslider
Can’t beat the price of an OnX annual membership. It’s even nice for when your significant other wants to go on a hike and you don’t trust them leading the way!

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Garmin inreach or a Zoleo for messaging and sos. Download maps with OnX , base map or similar service. Phones are pretty good these days if you have an iPhone or high end android they are fairly water resistant, durable and the gps is accurate without needing ridiculous clear line off sight for a long period of time.

mtnbound

Lil-Rokslider
Battery life with your phone is the biggest limiting factor using ONX, if you are going to use your phone be sure to carry a battery pack to charge your phone.

EdP

WKR
OnX no longer supports the chips so updates are not available. The phone screen is so much larger than on a GPS that I don't use my GPS anymore, just the phone with OnX. Plus color detail is available on the phone (maybe new GPS units have larger screens with color than my old unit). With OnX you can download offline maps to your phone and use it in airplane mode as a GPS, no cell service required. Because the screen is so much larger the phone uses more battery power so bring a battery pack.

Crusader

WKR
Bass Pro/Cabela's has the Garmin GPS Map66i on sale right now for $349, same price as the InReach Mini 2. With the 66i you get the satellite functionality (with paid subscription) and the GPS mapping functions. Excellent deal, through August 28. I wanted the satellite/emergency functions of the Mini 2 and was going to buy one but figured for all the extra functions, why not get the 66i; downside is the weight but for my purposes/use, doesn't matter. I ordered one last night.

OP
Hogs122

Hogs122

FNG
Battery life with your phone is the biggest limiting factor using ONX, if you are going to use your phone be sure to carry a battery pack to charge your phone.
Yeah! I always have my battery pack with me, Thanks so much folks. i figure it out