Got my Nomad+Bikini, feeling conflicted...

Hey Brother,

I'm gonna be as honest with you on this stuff as I can.

The Nomad has set record sales #'s for Kifaru and it's one hell of a pack, but for me, the EMRII is a better option. This doesn't mean that you won't like the Nomad, but we've sold a ton of EMRII's as well and I only know of 2 guys that didn't like them.

As stated above, the EMRII is a bit of both worlds (top loader and hybrid), and that's the a big reason why people like it.

To give you and idea, I only use the Nomad for day trips and training, and the EMRII is with me the rest of the time. I like having a big ass pack with me on backpacking/backpack hunting trips and the EMRII compresses down very well. I do have several friends that REALLY like the verstily of the Nomad and prefer to drop the camp bag off after the hike in and run a stripped down day pack. Both options work great, but the choice between the two will highly depend on you personality and preferred method of hunting.

The DT2 is also another great option if the Nomad doesn't tickle your fancy, as the size of the DT2 isn't as daunting as the EMRII.

Either way, I would give me a call and we can shoot the shit about what will work best for you situation.

720-937-1418------- Call anytime
So I got my new Nomad and Bikini frame with camp bag and grab-it II. The craftsmanship, fit, and ability to carry a load is amazing. I flat out love the frame. I'm not sure how I feel about the pack. Spent the day packing it, unpacking it, repacking it, unpacking it, and finally settling on something that works for now. I'm heading into the backcountry tomorrow am so I guess I'll know better in 24hours if what I came up with works or not.

I don't know if it's just that I've spent the last 20 years using traditional "tube-style" backpacks and it's the learning curve or what but packing the nomad just seems to come out sloppy every time.

Before I risk Rokslide heresy, I do like the concept and workmanship. I just don't know if it works for me, yet.

Has anyone else experienced this or am I the only one?

I got a Nomad and camp bag hoping that would replace my High Camp 7000 bag for longer hunts, but it simply won't. The Nomad is a really interesting design and is awesome for a day pack, carrying a turkey blind, etc. but for me it is too much of a compramise as a "do everything" pack.

When I got my bikini nomad I had some buyers remorse. I wanted perfection for the price I paid and I found a few little things that bugged me... but then I packed a good heavy load probably 70+ pounds or so up a trail I have done many times and my buyers remorse left me. This is the 4th pack I have taken up that very trail and this was the heaviest load I have taken up it and I have never had a pack ride that nice. I have a few more trips under it sense then and I continue to love the suspension but I have also really started liking the nomad grab it combo, its just right for me.

To me the nomad is a perfect day pack. I like to have the ability to take a Longrange shot, so the rifle I carry is a 13.5 lbs beast of burden. The first year I used a t2 and the weight of that rifle strapped to the side of the pack just made it off balance and uncomfortable. Last year I used a duplex with eberlestock scabbard so the rifle was against my back and weight right down the middle and used a back pouch for stuff but had to strap my spotter and tripod and coats all over, looked a little Beverly hillbilly. I had the cargo panel with me to take the deboned meat out and used this system to carry out elk quarters. It worked well but like I said was messy. Now I have the nomad and while it's not perfect it really cleans up my system. It is a great day hunt pack and paired with my eberlestock scabbard is the best system I have found for carrying my tank of a rifle, 80mm spotter, tripod, all day hunt gear, all the Longrange shooting equipment and still being able to pull the animal out after. I often wonder on my day hunts and will be 5+ miles in so coming back out for a different pack doesn't make sense to me. When I head up for a backpack trip or hunt the T1 goes on. I like my nomad and my T1 they both have their place.

I’ve put a couple miles on the Nomad; I really don’t think that you will find a more versatile pack out there. Add the duplex suspension system and you really have a pack that can encompass just about any situation that you can throw at it. With that said, I also believe that it’s the type of pack that can grow on you if you let it. I have used a different combination just about every time that I have taken it out. For multi day trips I prefer to run either a dry bag or a camp bag between the wings. When I run it this way I typically do not put anything in the wings and stuff just about everything in the camp bag and longhunter lid, I also run two large hip pouches all the time. Mainstay items like GPS, headlamp, gloves, beanie, etc..never leave my hip pouches. When I am doing an overnighter the camp bag or dry bag stays at the house and I run it with a medium pod and 500 bag. I also load the wings up. The whole point for me is to drop as much stuff as I can once I get to camp. The only permanent items that I have on the Nomad are in the longhunter lid, grab it, and my hip pouches. I like to drop all of the other stuff once I get camp setup. I like this because it leaves me prepared to just grab stuff and go. I don’t always have trips planned, but like to be able to grab whatever I need in case someone calls. This way I do not have to worry about loading a pack in a rush and forgetting something. I also like the flexibility of being able to strap just about any darn thing I want to on it, but with this also comes with managing extra-long straps. This may take some getting used to, but I like the added security of being able to strap extra stuff onto it. I agree that this pack may not be for everybody, but give it a chance you might be surprised.

I typically leave the wing empty and use them for overflow, or for items that I want to throw in at camp for the day when I am hiking away from camp.

<5 day packs.....Nomad.

>5 day packs.....EMRII or DT.

LOVE the nomad for lo g weekend hunts, which make up the majority of my trips.

Nomad will easily accommodate a 10+ day hunt. If I remember right it has more ci then the emr2 when the camp bag is added, if not more they are pretty close in big bag space (not 100% sure just going off the top of my head).

Before I sold my highcamp 7k I fitted it to the nomad, worked just fine. The only limitation to the nomad is what you personally limit it to IMO. Truly the only diff is if you want a big bag attached or removable between the nomad and emr2.

<5 day packs.....Nomad.

>5 day packs.....EMRII or DT.

LOVE the nomad for lo g weekend hunts, which make up the majority of my trips.

I asked this in another thread recently but what really changes for you for a 5 day or greater trip? Just food and maybe another change of socks and underwear? I am just curious as to how this addition really necessitates an attached main bag (in regards to the EMR II) as opposed to just putting more food and your socks in the camp bag or dry bag or whatever you already have stuff in.

To dotman's comment, here is a Nomad with a Highcamp 7000. This isn't filled to the max but it should be a good representation. Taking a quick glance at the Kifaru site, this comes out at 10,400 ci (Nomad at 2400, Highcamp at 7000, LH lid at 1000) which exceeds both the EMR II or a DT1.

20140223_113141.jpg

20140223_131123.jpg

I'm not saying that this is the end all be all and the best solution for everyone. As we see time and again, everything works for people differently.

Last edited:
I asked this in another thread recently but what really changes for you for a 5 day or greater trip? Just food and maybe another change of socks and underwear? I am just curious as to how this addition really necessitates an attached main bag (in regards to the EMR II) as opposed to just putting more food and your socks in the camp bag or dry bag or whatever you already have stuff in.

To dotman's comment, here is a Nomad with a Highcamp 7000. This isn't filled to the max but it should be a good representation. Taking a quick glance at the Kifaru site, this comes out at 10,400 ci (Nomad at 2400, Highcamp at 7000, LH lid at 1000) which exceeds both the EMR II or a DT1.

20140223_113141.jpg

20140223_131123.jpg

I'm not saying that this is the end all be all and the best solution for everyone. As we see time and again, everything works for people differently.
the only problem with that combo above is it is like "pack out only" status. as in, its wider than you are!
same thing if the wings and main bag of my emr are full.

the only thing that changes for me is food. now seasons, quite a bit changes. from adding a stove, to possibly bulkier bag, more clothing etc.
hell last year late season, packing in solo for 3 days i was at like 52lbs!

For me 2 day vs 10 days is the same load out, just more food with 10 days. Space wise, the difference for me is in cold weather gear vs. warm weather gear and this is really not that much. My gear load is really refined and I know what kind of functionality I'm going to need in a pack for my style of hunting. My camp only consists of a sleep system and sometimes a stove. And this sleep system is the only difference between day hunt mode and pack in mode. I've grown very partial to having camp on my back until the very end of the day, I have more flexibility this way, so day hunt mode actually rarely happens in practice. Defiantly not enough to warrant going back to a daypack type of pack bag and then building it up with components. This would be fun though.

The cost and weight penalty was the big difference for me, I would have to have bought a camp bag, long hunter lid, etc. or used my highcamp 4800 with the Nomad to get to the same functionality as the EMR2 and it would weigh more in the end. And I would still be missing those billow pockets, those things are the handiest component I've ever used on a pack system ;)

Also, the EMR2 is going to be a lot better for packing out a Goat cape this season :)

I am really going to give the nomad an honest opportunity to make me a believer this fall. The hardest part for me is not adding all kinds of pockets to make my modular pack more modular...I wish I could get a nomad back panel without the wings for my bikini frame. Then I see massive versatility...but then again, the vertical pockets of the nomad are good too. I just need to keep packing and repacking until I find perfection.

For you nomad guys: when you are in daypack mode, but are prepared to come out heavy, how do you carry your grab-it? Where will you attach your bladder pocket? These are a few of the what-ifs I am trying to address.

Nomad without the wings? That's the whole purpose of the nomad. As far as carrying the grab-it, it's just stuffed in a pocket until I need it

Nomad without the wings? That's the whole purpose of the nomad. As far as carrying the grab-it, it's just stuffed in a pocket until I need it

I get that, but that back panel just begs me to hook up all kinds of other stuff. As an accessory, that back panel, on a bikini frame would plug the frame gap and allow for even more modularity. An EandE on top, long pocket below, LH lid....two back pouches arranged vertically....camp bag with compression straps and a lid...any mess of belt pouches...

I like the nomad as is, and understand your reasoning, but I always feel like I need to add something to make it do what I want.

Yeah, I have a duplex too:) now I am getting picky...but shedding the weight of the duplex for the bikini and dropping the wings to arrange what pockets I want when I want them would be pretty great. For scouting, day trips, etc. ....just thinking out loud here.

For sure. A large belt pouch up high and a back pouch below, for example. Or two back pouches. The panel of the nomad is not where that packs weight comes from. And on a bikini frame vs duplex, even more weight shed. I am not looking to build a high capacity pack by going this route but I always like having my frame with me and the ability to haul stuff back if need be.

Anyhow, no intentions of derailing this thread. I am excited to continue learning with my nomad. I know the potential is there.

For you nomad guys: when you are in daypack mode, but are prepared to come out heavy, how do you carry your grab-it? Where will you attach your bladder pocket? These are a few of the what-ifs I am trying to address.

so far whats working for me, granted its an emr but same, is 1 small ku belt pouch mounted at the top of the back panel. 1 med ku pullout below that. these contain my possibles and necessary items (headlamp, lighter, lens pen, triox, etc)
puffy goes in left zippered pocket. rain gear in right side. spotter goes in left slot pocket. tripod either in left cinch pocket or in right slot pocket. depending if trying to balance a rifle or bladder. bladder either gets hung in center by a tiny ti carabiner, kind of over the KU pocket, or in the right slot pocket. water filter goes in right cinch pocket. wipes/chit paper goes in my map pocket. not sure where thatd go in the nomad. thats about it for me.
hope this helps a little. i tried alot of different combos and so far this is what i like. its been on (3) day scouting trips and a couple multi night trips.

Back