Good training hikes Livingston/Bozeman area

sjwfarms

Lil-Rokslider
Going to be in the area in a few weeks for annual fishing trip. Would like to get in some hikes to further prepare for Nov hunt. Any recs on good trails greatly appreciated. Southern flatlander, so the more exposure to vertical feet the better.

Also, what caliber should I carry😂

Legend

WKR
Going to be in the area in a few weeks for annual fishing trip. Would like to get in some hikes to further prepare for Nov hunt. Any recs on good trails greatly appreciated. Southern flatlander, so the more exposure to vertical feet the better.

Also, what caliber should I carry😂
You can't go wrong in the crazies. I am confident you will find all the vertical a flatlander can handle

jtevanMT

Lil-Rokslider
Hyalite lake hike and then Hyalite peak if you want more vertical. It is an amazing hike with many waterfalls and a beautiful high mountain lake. 11 miles round trip and ~2200 ft climb. If you are not tired yet, take a right and follow the trail to the peak. Trailhead is just past Hyalite reservoir.

Mt Al

WKR
Lava Lake and Deer Creek up the Gallatin canyon.
Hike the M or Drinking Horse with everyone else!
Cottonwood Lake in the Crazies.

Fishing just got good in a bunch of places the last week or so, you came at the right time!

if you are in the bozeman area, go up bridger canyon and find stone creek trailhead or bracket creek trailhead. both will climb up bangtail. Lots of elevation gain. And if you are real good, it is 26 miles of singletrack between trailheads with 7 miles of road linking them. I just peddled the loop a couple of weeks ago. There was 4400 feet of vert in that ride.

Sacajawea peak at Fairy lake is pretty much straight up in a short amount of distance. Have the added benefit of thinner atmosphere at the top for further conditioning. you won't need a firearm there.

OP
sjwfarms

sjwfarms

Lil-Rokslider
Will give some of them a go. May even hike the M, assuming the wife wants to have a wine and cheese picnic.

Anyone hit Livingston Peak? Heard good things but also heard it can be overgrown this time of year.

Thanks to all for the recs, this site is always helpful. I just wish hiking trails had Unit #'s so I could make everyone uncomfortable by asking about specific ones.

Flyrodr

FNG
I'd check with some of the many local fly shops, telling them you want to combine ctrail onditioning with some fishing. Might as well put all that walking effort to good use, and catch a few fish,

Yoder

WKR
So, how bad is the bear situation around Bozeman? My wife and I are going to do some short hikes probably within an hr drive. I don't know any specifics yet as to what trails but we'll be there next week. Do you really need to carry spray everywhere or is that a tourist thing? I would guess as long as it's not really thick with limited visibility it shouldn't be a problem. I've run into a ton of black bears but a Grizzly is a whole different thing. Worst case, I'm pretty sure I can outrun my wife. :D

As a bonus you can cool off in Fairy Lake, it's probably 40 degrees or so by now.
if you want your balls to freeze off that is a good swim. I second Sacajawea Peak. Cool old sea fossils up top of the peak in the limestone when that was once ocean bottom. Mountain goats hanging out on Hardscrabble and maybe some cute college girls floating on paddle boards in the lake.

Last edited:
Be cool and hike the M.
search and rescue got sent up past the M last week as some tourists got lost off the trail and ended up in the rocks to the north. They called 911 saying they were lost, dehydrated and tired. I guess there eyes stopped working too as its hard to miss the massive painted M or the hundred cars and people everywhere..

So, how bad is the bear situation around Bozeman? My wife and I are going to do some short hikes probably within an hr drive. I don't know any specifics yet as to what trails but we'll be there next week. Do you really need to carry spray everywhere or is that a tourist thing? I would guess as long as it's not really thick with limited visibility it shouldn't be a problem. I've run into a ton of black bears but a Grizzly is a whole different thing. Worst case, I'm pretty sure I can outrun my wife. :D
You only need spray if hiking in Yellowstone and surrounding areas north to Big Sky. You will see there are a shit ton of people and dogs everywhere. Buy a can of bear spray for dogs off leash and disgruntled tourist 😀 It’s cheap insurance if you’re not packing a pistol. You can pass bear spray off to the next visitor who is just arriving.

Yoder

WKR
You only need spray if hiking in Yellowstone and surrounding areas north to Big Sky. You will see there are a shit ton of people and dogs everywhere. Buy a can of bear spray for dogs off leash and disgruntled tourist 😀 It’s cheap insurance if you’re not packing a pistol. You can pass bear spray off to the next visitor who is just arriving.
I usually go to Outer Banks N.C. for vacation. I just checked and the odds of getting attacked by a shark are pretty similar to the odds of getting eaten by a Grizzly in Montana. I swim in the Ocean every year. I'm not too worried about it. I can't bring my gun, I'm flying out of the Peoples Republic of New Jersey.