Good daypack??

13bonatter69

Lil-Rokslider
Whats a good daypack that will carry bare essentials like food water ranger and a small spotter. I don't want a pack any bigger than absolutely needed to carry these items. I will NOT ever pack amy meat in it so i don't need that capability. I want minimal here. I was looking at the mystery ranch FRONT, sitka ASCENT 12, badlands SCOUT and badlands HDX. Does anyone have any experience with any of these, or any other options I should look at. Also if anyone has anything used, PM me about it
Thanks in advance.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I've been using a Cabela's Elite Scout pack as a daypack for the past 12 years, I love that thing. 15lbs fully loaded with 3L of water and everything I need for a day. If I'm not packing camp in, I'm using this pack. I bought mine for $60 on clearance. Every archery elk I've shot has been while wearing that pack.

lucascole76

Lil-Rokslider
Whats a good daypack that will carry bare essentials like food water ranger and a small spotter. I don't want a pack any bigger than absolutely needed to carry these items. I will NOT ever pack amy meat in it so i don't need that capability. I want minimal here. I was looking at the mystery ranch FRONT, sitka ASCENT 12, badlands SCOUT and badlands HDX. Does anyone have any experience with any of these, or any other options I should look at. Also if anyone has anything used, PM me about it
Thanks in advance.

No experience with Sitka 12 however I do have the flash 20 and really like it. Super light and comfortable for a day pack.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

calico pig

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks in advance.

I just got a Stone Glacier Avail. I did a few huge day trips with it in the Sierras carrying roughly 15 lbs. (Water, first aid, dog supplies, food). So far my favorite day pack ever. At first I thought there were to many straps and things dangling off it but after a few hard days of use I used almost everything. Only wish it had an external water bottle holder. I run a bladder but when with dogs need a nalgene handy. The pack is compact and carrys very well. Tripod can strap on the side nicely too.

Clinch

Lil-Rokslider
Lots that will cover that so it is really up to you. My preference is the Hill People Gear Tara or Umlindi. Umlindi shines with a belt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
I just got a Stone Glacier Avail. I did a few huge day trips with it in the Sierras carrying roughly 15 lbs. (Water, first aid, dog supplies, food). So far my favorite day pack ever. At first I thought there were to many straps and things dangling off it but after a few hard days of use I used almost everything. Only wish it had an external water bottle holder. I run a bladder but when with dogs need a nalgene handy. The pack is compact and carrys very well. Tripod can strap on the side nicely too.

I wonder if their hydro holster fits the avail?

LaGriz

WKR
13bonatters69,
For a pure day pack I would look at the Badlands Diablo. This unit has the same vented back as the older hyper-vent model. Have seen it on sale in the last year but can't remember where I saw it listed. Maybe it was Midway?

Since 1997 I have been running a wool day pack. "Bison" now makes the line, where mine is a "Pack Idaho built" First Trip Explorer. The wool packs are not all that light, but are very well built and quiet. Basically, its an expandable lumbar pack with all wool suspension + room to cinch down a light coat or rain gear. A larger version exists (called some thing else) with a little more capacity to the main compartment and may be even more desirable. I have killed several animals while wearing the pack (long gun or Bow) and it is not the least bit restrictive. Need to send my Pack Idaho model to Bison for some repairs and TLC. Keep putting it off an don't wish to ask for an unrealistic time frame to complete any repairs. I have since acquired a KOM lumbar wool pack that has been doing duty as a fill in. The KOM although well made, quiet, with good capacity, has no waterproof lining and doesn't fit me the same as the 1st Trip Explorer. My normal load is 18-22 lbs. with a good bit of that being water and lunch. I find this to be a comfortable weight with these packs, and find it natural, almost like it's part of my body. That's what I was looking for when I first found it and killed a 6X5 bull a close range while on my first day of hunting use. the pack moved to "favorite status" and has been a part of my "Kit" ever since.

LaGriz

Seek Outside recently introduced what they call the Merlin daypack/talon. It is a stand alone daypack that is about 1400 cubic inches, and weighs 14 oz. It has a main compartment, side compartment, top compartment, and water bladder compartment. It can also serve as a compression panel and additional space on most Seek Outside framed packs.

I picked one up recently. Seems like it might fit your needs, but is not exactly inexpensive. if you had a Seek Outside framed pack, it makes a lot of sense though.

Here's a few pics.

I put the following items in it to get an idea on size.

- Silvertip shelter with pole and stakes
- Helinox ground chair
- Olicamp Xcelerator stove
- 8 oz stove fuel
- 48 oz Nalgene bottle
- Leupold 6x30 binos.

Still room for some smaller items, mountain house meal etc.

EPTWce5.jpg

TKP6yPS.jpg

Attached as a compression panel on Seek Outside Unaweep 4800 pack.

7KyYq7T.jpg

2ski

WKR
I use my dakine ski pack as a day pack. I don't know the size. I've had it a few years. Works well but I can't put a ton of bulk for clothes in it. I had my fly vest with 4 fly boxes and everything else in the vest in the pack last weekend and it was FULL.

I actually use a "fanny pack" for my day pack alot too. It's a tenzing. Lots of room in it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Frito

Lil-Rokslider
I have a Mystery Ranch ASAP, which is very similar to the Front that you mentioned. It is a nice little pack. I've been extremely happy with the durability of everything Mystery Ranch that I've owned.