Good boots for early season high country

4IDARCHER

WKR
I am looking for some good early bow season high county boot that offers both support and comfort. I read the thread on here about the Meindl Perfekt Hiker boots and they seem great. I am looking for other possible boots too. What would you recommend? Also has anyone tried the ridge reaper by UA, and are they any good, or just mass market boots that you are only paying for a brand name?

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
I would suggest kenetrek hard scrabble's to look at. If you don't need huge support, Soloman XA Pro 3D Ultra's. I have not used the Ridge Reaper, but I wear a pair of the UA Tactical boots at work on a daily basis. They are like a high top athletic shoe. Super comfortable, but not much support.

drthornton

Lil-Rokslider
As RosinBag said it's gonna come down to weight or support. In my limited experience you can't get both light weight with great support. I have relatively weak ankles so I'll take added weight for the support every time.

I use Lowa Tibets and Asolo Sasslongs are my backups.

My buddy uses Lowa Zephyrs which he loves. They are lightweight quality boots. I have tried them but I would be a nervous wreck side-hilling with a heavy load in them.

miller1

Lil-Rokslider
I just got the perfekt hikers a couple weeks ago and they are very comfy and have alot of support, very little breakin needed, they will be an awsome early elk/muley boot,

B

bearguide

i really like my kenetrek boots / and thanks to them for being one of rokslide's sponsors

As RosinBag said it's gonna come down to weight or support. In my limited experience you can't get both light weight with great support. I have relatively weak ankles so I'll take added weight for the support every time.

My buddy uses Lowa Zephyrs which he loves. They are lightweight quality boots. I have tried them but I would be a nervous wreck side-hilling with a heavy load in them.

+1 Just got some sasslongs at sierra trading post for 150$ like them so far

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
Don't overlook Kayland Vertigo Highs. I have tried Lowa, Asolo, others. All aof them were high quality boots but the Kaylands have worked the best for me. They are also really light for their outstanding support.

littlebuf

Banned
i just wear my kenetrek mountain extremes all year.i buy them uninsulated for just that reason.extra socks in the winter and one pair for early season.the level of support these things offer is unbelievable.but one boot works year round for me because i don't get very cold,even in the real cold stuff.lucky i guess

JPhelps

Lil-Rokslider
I've switched off between the Lowa Tibets in the early season and Perfekt Hunters when it get cold.

This year I am going to give the Kenetrek Mountain Extremes (non-insulated) a try in the early season. I like the wider heel and bigger toe box that the Kenetrek last uses.

littlebuf

Banned
JPhelps,if they fit then you wont look back.i wasn't expecting the amount of support they offer.you really dont appreciate this until youve got 140 pounds on your back

tradair1980

Lil-Rokslider
I have really been on the fence with my tibets, it really is a love and hate realationship! And the break in for me was almost all summer....BUT, I can say that the support with a heavy pack and going up and down steep,steep elevation is going to be hard to forget when these wear out! As JPhelps said above the toe box has been the hard part about them!

Sunspot

WKR

I loved my Lowa Zephyrs except the sole is too thin. They couldn't hang more than two weeks into my archery elk hunt. I took them back to REI and got the Renegades.

coop2424

WKR
I have used the meindl perfect's in previous years but just picked up the kenetrek non-insulated mountain extremes which will now be my early season boot. Both are awesome boots for my feet. I think the meindl's are a bit stiffer in the ankles which is nice for real tough hiking with me since I have one bad ankle that likes to roll.

D

david long

When it comes to support, the Kenetrek Mountain Extremes offer an unbelievable amount of support. They do, however, require a lengthy break-in period. You will want to put around 50 miles on them before heading into the backcountry, but once they are broke-in, you will love them!

I used the Schnee's Wilderness boot on some early hunts last year and they did great for me. Pretty good balance of weight/support and also durable.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Gonna try some of those mountain lites as well Justin. Still will use my Hanwag Alaskans for late season stuff, but I'll save the weight with these for summer/early fall if they fit my feet. Plus I am willing to bet they'll dry out faster than full leather when I go over the boot stops on a creek crossing.

Been super pleased with Lowa Sheephunters the past 6 years so or and still have a pair with only one season on them, but gonna give these Hanwags a try to see what all the commotion is about. :D