Good book suggestion for winter read list

Another vote for Blood meridian by Cormac McCarthy, I've listened to the audio book 3 or 4 times when driving out west, not sure why.

No country for old men - Cormac McCarthy, liked the movie and the book but in different ways

As I lay dying - Faulkner
Empire of the summer moon - SC Gwynne
Last son of the war God - Clay Martin
War - Sebastian Junger
Tribe - Sebastian Junger

Killers of the flower moon - David Grann, book was much better then the movie, I was not a fan of the casting and the way several of the characters were portrayed

ODB

WKR
Killers of the flower moon - David Grann, book was much better then the movie, I was not a fan of the casting and the way several of the characters were portrayed

Agree 100%. read the book when it first came out and eagerly anticipated the movie. Didn't like it at all. My grandmother was born in Pawhuska in 1916 and grew up there while that was all happening.

I can't put this book down. It's incredible to hear what these guys put up with and went through through their own words. He just released a second one that I will be picking up soon.

1000004304.jpg

Agree 100%. read the book when it first came out and eagerly anticipated the movie. Didn't like it at all. My grandmother was born in Pawhuska in 1916 and grew up there while that was all happening.
Yeah granpappy had spent time in Faxon and I had worked around Shidler, kaw lake area, on the Osage reservation, so I was interested.

twall13

WKR
There was another thread on this topic a year or two ago. I picked up several good recommendations from that. Here are a few that I've really enjoyed, some of them repeats of those mentioned above.

"Death in the Long Grass" by Peter Hathaway Capstick
"Endurance" by Alfred Lansing
"The Long Walk" by Slavomir Rawicz
"The Old Man and the Boy" by Robert Ruark
"Alaska's Wolf Man" by Jim Rearden
"Born to Run" by Christopher McDougall if you have any interest at all in running
"Wild Men, Wild Alaska" by Rocky McElveen
"Beyond Fair Chase" by Jim Posewitz
"A Sand County Almanac" by Also Leopold
"West With the Night" by Beryl Markham (I really enjoyed some sections a lot more than others but overall it was a great read)
"The Christmas Box" by Richard Paul Evans since we are talking winter reads.

If I'm in the mood for a quick read I tend to enjoy a Louis Lamour or Zane Grey novel on occasion as well. They are just easy to jump into and enjoy without a lot of thought or concentration. I've also enjoyed the Joe Pickett series along this vein for a more modern easy read western type of book.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk