Going out west---

grfox92

WKR
Oh Definitely can decide the day before, not a huge deal. Just was getting an idea of what others have experienced.
I would go with that. Just wait and see how it's going and decide when the date gets closer.

Sent from my SM-G990U using Tapatalk

Rich M

WKR
If you are really on your game - you go before you get her preggo.

If you are playing catch-up - see when she'll let you go. We know the ladies carry an awful lot of weight when it comes to decision making.

Your hunting days will be limited for a while so pick your battles wisely - and apply for permits that you can actually hunt - don't, I repeat DON'T apply for a permit when you can't be there for opening day and hunt a week or more if you need to...

Also many guys are like, i'm going backcountry muley hunting and have 4 days... Not worth the effort - save up those baby points til you can actually put in some effort.

I'm bringing my wife and newborn along on a wyoming antelope hunt come September. He's due in August. Fingers crossed it goes along smoothly.

Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk

That would be the end of my marriage, I’ve figured out that if I want to be able to hunt I have to leave my wife at home, the kids(8, 7 & 3) are getting to come along more all the time though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CoachPat

FNG
Classified Approved
I fought countless battles when my kids were little. I was young, obsessed with hunting and trying to spend every waking hour in the woods. A lot of it was just the stress of little kids, but also just a lack of planning on my part. This is more of general advice than your specific scenario, but over the years its helped me fight WAY less battles at home. Disregard if your wife is a hunter--mine is not. I didn't help myself either by getting into big game hunting AFTER I got married (I'm a hard way kind of guy)

1. Get stuff on the calendar as early
2. Overestimate by a day or tow how long your trip will be...coming home a day early = hero, a day late = she's pissed
3. If I'm gone on a long trip, I usually get flowers delivered the first day, its overkill, but damn it works
4. Make sure she's planning something for herself throughout the year--lot of women aren't so good at that.
5. When your old enough, take the kid(s) on what you can. Makes it fun, and doubles your time doing what you love.

If everything is solid on the home front, I am way more focused, relaxed and committed. Rarely have I been successful on "borrowed" time. Every relationship/situation is different. If you feel good about it and your wife has it handled, go for it and you shouldn't feel bad about it.

i joked earlier but in all seriousness. Take a break. help your wife, raise your kid. be there for the critical first year, or two. It doesn't mean stop completely, it just means be a little less selfish. When your child is old enough, take them with you every chance you get. For a few years they will hold you back. you will not hunt like you did before, but it will be more special. And they will grow up appreciating the outdoors with you. you are starting a family. its not all about you anymore. I have told this story before here. I lost my youngest son when he was 8. He hunted with me every chance he could. The days in blind or the woods with him, were amazing. I cherish every moment we had together hunting and fishing. Almost amazing as watching him grow out of diapers, start walking, learning to talk to us. The year or two wont kill you but it will make your marriage better. My oldest son is 22 now and he is the best hunter i hunt with. He carries me now. The best part of taking the kids with me all the time is there came a point where she was excited for us to go. She needs her time too.

Attachments

• wyattcalling.jpg
    wyattcalling.jpg
    371.9 KB · Views: 8
  • wyattshaneduck.jpg
    wyattshaneduck.jpg
    369.3 KB · Views: 8
  • deer1.jpg
    deer1.jpg
    238 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
Baby due October 22nd of this year, will be in Colorado for 3 weeks in September and back to chasing whitetail in Oklahoma up until her water breaks. Budd going with me has a baby due in August

4. Make sure she's planning something for herself throughout the year--lot of women aren't so good at that.

Man I wish I could figure out how to actually do this. I try. During hunting season she's like "I never get to do anything." "So do something, plan it, hell I'll pay for it." Hunting season ends and comes again and she never did anything. Rinse repeat.

It won't get any better, been married going on 46 years, the boss says I want to do something (first warning) so I say o.k. what you want to do she replies I don't know (second warning) Then I will suggest something (third warning) and she will say I don't want to do that. It's a never-ending scenario get used to it.

CoachPat

FNG
Classified Approved
Man I wish I could figure out how to actually do this. I try. During hunting season she's like "I never get to do anything." "So do something, plan it, hell I'll pay for it." Hunting season ends and comes again and she never did anything. Rinse repeat.
I've ran into this too, finally I just planned a weekend a way, got some fam to watch this kids. it was appreciated way more than I figured...bought some serious fun tickets

wytx

WKR
Hunted in mid Oct and then had our son on Halloween. spouse was out that same season looking for meat for the freezer.
Had a little help first few days then we all settled in on a kind of schedule with the baby.
Took our son on almost every hunt those first few years, I watched him while spouse hunted then he watched while I went out.

If she has a support group I would go hunt.

I've ran into this too, finally I just planned a weekend a way, got some fam to watch this kids. it was appreciated way more than I figured...bought some serious fun tickets
Like just the two of you? I do that sometimes.

I want her to get with some girlfriends or her sister and go do something fun/cool. But women are the most flakey species on this planet.

yfarm

WKR
Men play the short game, women the long.
With men there are generally no hidden agendas before marriage, with women you learn who you married after the fact.
Am close with a couple, premarriage she loved to hunt and fish, post wants nothing to do with it and constantly complains when he goes despite him taking her wherever she wants off season.

You gotta live your life. Personally, I wouldn’t go on a backcountry hunt within the first month. But not every persons post partum or delivery is the same. Some people it’s easy, some it’s hard. Some babies are easy some are hard. Sometimes mentally it’s easy, sometimes they struggle.

some things others can’t answer and you have to follow your gut.