Going from Kifaru to Seek Outside

OP
woods89

woods89

WKR
@woods89 changing the frame extensions should only require loosening the shoulder straps and load lifter straps, then loosening or undoing the three straps of the panel that wrap the bottom of the frame.

Then slide the panel up, being careful not to lose the little caps that cover the frame/extensions, and slip the extensions in/out. It might take 5min total.

I don't adjust the torso length.
Also, thanks for this. I messed around with it a bit and it got a lot simpler.

Peaks&Creeks

Lil-Rokslider
I'm not trying to convince anyone to get away from anything that they like.

Here's where it's at for me, though.
Seek Outside is-
-3-4 lbs lighter
-waterproof
-bag layout is way better from my standpoint.
-functional meat shelf system
-carry on compatible with frame extensions removed.

I need to pack an animal out with it to make a final determination, but it looks pretty favorable at this point. I don't think durability is an issue, and honestly my Duplex frame has some wear showing where I set it down on the bottom of the frame, so they aren't invincible either.

Don’t forget that the new material Seek Outside is using is way more durable and lighter per square inch than any of the material Kifaru is using, which is Cordura and X-PAC. The correlation that lightweight = less durable, is fading away. Stone Glacier is using the same material as SO on their Terminus pack and I bet it won’t be long till most of their lineup goes that way. It’s simply a superior material to cordura.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sndmn11

WKR
Don’t forget that the new material Seek Outside is using is way more durable and lighter per square inch than any of the material Kifaru is using, which is Cordura and X-PAC. The correlation that lightweight = less durable, is fading away. Stone Glacier is using the same material as SO on their Terminus pack and I bet it won’t be long till most of their lineup goes that way. It’s simply a superior material to cordura.

I am 99% certain Stone Glacier is using UltraPE200, whereas Seek is using UltraPE400. My understanding is that the 200 version didn't fare as well in the field with punctures and lacerations as was expected. Think sliding on a granite angle or catching a pointy limb.

When I did my Wingspan Pocket review one of the things I asked about for the main bag was why not 200 or even 100 UltraPE, and that was (about) the answer I got from @Kevin_t .

Lawnboi

WKR
I gave a seek outside a try and ultimately went back to kifaru. For what you describe I personally prefer kifaru greatly.

If I did more backpacking I’d probably give the week outside another go. It was a solid pack, but didn’t fit my main style of hunting

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
I gave a seek outside a try and ultimately went back to kifaru. For what you describe I personally prefer kifaru greatly.

If I did more backpacking I’d probably give the week outside another go. It was a solid pack, but didn’t fit my main style of hunting
I feel like once one is at the level of Kifaru, SO, SG, and Exo they all work well and personal preference become a major factor.

I also think this is one reason some people have strong feelings about their prefered pack.

OP
woods89

woods89

WKR

My SO is a year or two old, so it's X-pac and Cordura as well. It's still 3-4 lbs less than my Kifaru.

One huge advantage to me is that SO feels so much less restrictive when hunting without a big load. My Duplex carries weight well but it's really stiff.

The new fabrics look sweet. Maybe someday......

OP
woods89

woods89

WKR
Fit is much better with the frame dropped to the lowest grommet. This does mean that I have to go to 4" extensions for heavy loads.

On small downside is that there isn't nearly as much attachment points on the belt as my Duplex. I have my Gunbearer on the right side and a Kifaru mini belt pouch on the left, which means I'm pretty much out of room. I'd love to get SO's nalgene holder on there as well, but I'm out of room. Not a huge deal.

At this point after messing around with it quite a bit I'm about 95% sure this is going to replace my Kifaru. I want to get some time under a load of meat before I commit, but I really like it so far.

pyrotechnic

Lil-Rokslider
I've had both and now just a seek 6300 fortress. I haven't tried thier new line. I like mine a lot. You can definitely drop a few pounds, not sure about 4. They fit and ride very different. Both great packs. My gunbearer from my Kifura works in my SO. The bottom perfectly, the top peice I added a little peice of hardware to make it work. Good luck!
What hardware did you use to make the gun bearer upper work?

OP
woods89

woods89

WKR
Little update.

Last Saturday I was fortunate enough to kill a mature buck and a nice sized doe close to 2 miles from the road. This gave me a good chance to test this platform.

I was not completely satisfied with how it carried 80-90 lbs. It felt like the belt flexed down and pinched my hips quite a bit. In adjusting a few things, however, I realized that the padded portion of the medium belt I have on here barely comes to the front of my hip bones. I called in to Seek Outside, had a great conversation with Owen, and wound up ordering a large belt to try. I think on reflection that the belt being too small probably had at least some to do with it not locking in on my hips. My Kifaru Duplex belt wraps much further around, with just a little webbing on either side of the buckle.

I'm going to give that a try and report back. Other than this issue, I love everything about this pack. The comfort level when hunting with light loads is incredible.

Edited to add- The barreling I was concerned about earlier was a complete non issue with quarters in the meat shelf.

You a can order gun bearer parts individually now.
Id order the kifaru/molle lower and the universal upper.
The kifaru upper would not stay in the seek chest strap clip.
The universal upper is just velcro that wraps around the entire shoulder strap.

I'll also say that I agree with exo.
Nothing on the hip belt it just helps it work down.
I feel like on my packout the gun bearer was detrimental.
I just fashioned the SG rifle sling on my seek but I don't have any hunts soon to report back.

I really wish seek would streamline the ability to carry a hydro bladder as well. Its just not a good system. No hang loop in the center and the hydro port is at least 4" to high imo.

Edit my older peregrine has a hang loop in the center. The newer 5400 i had did not. It had loops on ether side.
My newer 4800 goshawk I forgo the hydro option at all because the port is just crazy high.

I picked up a peregrine 3500 and so far its my favorite seek bag I've had. I was interested getting a newer one in ultra but I see they changed the face pocket. Thats probably not a deal breaker.
Id really like a peregrine but integrated.
@Kevin_t @RockChucker30

Please streamline the ability to carry a bladder, also Please bring back the custom pack builder.
I want an integrated peregrine.
Also I'm not sure I can archery hunt without a bladder.

sndmn11

WKR
Little update.

Last Saturday I was fortunate enough to kill a mature buck and a nice sized doe close to 2 miles from the road. This gave me a good chance to test this platform.

I was not completely satisfied with how it carried 80-90 lbs. It felt like the belt flexed down and pinched my hips quite a bit. In adjusting a few things, however, I realized that the padded portion of the medium belt I have on here barely comes to the front of my hip bones. I called in to Seek Outside, had a great conversation with Owen, and wound up ordering a large belt to try. I think on reflection that the belt being too small probably had at least some to do with it not locking in on my hips. My Kifaru Duplex belt wraps much further around, with just a little webbing on either side of the buckle.

I'm going to give that a try and report back. Other than this issue, I love everything about this pack. The comfort level when hunting with light loads is incredible.

Edited to add- The barreling I was concerned about earlier was a complete non issue with quarters in the meat shelf.
Did you try medium with no lumbar pad? I dislike the padding wrapping around the front of my hip bone.

sndmn11

WKR
Thanks.
I liked but also hated the gun bearer.
I liked the access and being able to keep an eye on it. But that was about it.

I think I got the SG sling on there adequate.
But ill probably tho a gate keeper on over the rifle to. Just not sure I trust a quick release. And not being able to see it.

I don't know how the SG version works.

With that one I linked access was plenty quick, I sold all my gun bearer stuff once I tried it. It's also so simple it is silly.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I rigged a SG sling to my SO pack. My SO carries a rifle nicely when hiking into an area when not needing it handily- just slip the butt it into on of the bottle pockets and two gate keepers and it's not going anywhere. It's definitely not handy that way however.

The SG one rigged to their lower piece and then to the shoulder strap (had to trim the quick clip strap length) is very handy and much less tiring than carrying the rifle in hand.

iV6JOKi.jpg

OP
woods89

woods89

WKR
Did you try medium with no lumbar pad? I dislike the padding wrapping around the front of my hip bone.
You may be on to something. I tried it tonight with 60-70 lbs of sand, and found no lumbar pad and uncaptured to help quite a bit. More testing to come.