Glue in 4mm (.166) broadheads (Evolution, Iron WIll, Thrive, Thorn)

OP
nphunter

nphunter

WKR
Excellent, thanks

The past 8-10yrs I have primarily used hot melt, and it hasn’t been consistently good, and the main issue with it is losing inserts in my targets, and then hitting them at a later date and ruining arrows… I despise that

In concept, it’s my favorite option. I have been shooting rampages primarily, and have to use hot melt because the stainless half outs will eventually bend, so they need changed out occasionally

I use a bore brush to scuff the inside of the arrow, lightly sand the insert to scuff it up, and clean everything with the 91% alcohol, I don’t know what else to do besides change hot melts

The kimshaw seems to be the most widely liked. The past few years I’ve used cool flex, fer-l-tite or whatever it’s called, gorilla mini sticks, and most recently Easton, and none have been problem free

If I do go to 4mm glue in, hot melt is the only option

One huge plus on the 4mm stuff is that to make weight all of the components have very long pins which really makes a difference keeping them in place. I’ve had a few issues with bohning hot and cold melt with my recurve but so far none with kimsha.

The only issue I’ve had since switching was bare shaft tuning i shoot a lot into a Reinhart 18:1 and got the tip warm enough to soften the glue, the head didn’t pull out but I noticed it coming loose and started running them under cool water every 10-15 shots. That was with the evolution points which have a bulb like point and shorter pin. Haven’t had a single issue since going to target field points.