Glock Gen 4 G29

Whisky

WKR
Anybody have any experience with this pistol? Or any of the older G29's? How do you like them, or what don't you like about it?
What kind of ammo you run for practice use? (Found the older threads on bear defense ammo so that answers that)
Is an aftermarket Lone Wolf barrel necessary to shoot the heavy hard casts?
How do you carry for bear defense (with a pack on), and what holster?
If you CC it, what holster you prefer for that as well?

Lots of questions, I know......Thanks!

jherald

WKR
I run a 20 Gen 4 and a 29 Gen 3, soon to have the 29 Gen 4. I prefer the grip of the newer Gen 4's and the options to run from a slim frame up to a larger frame by changing the backstraps.

For practice ammo I run anything I can find pretty much in the "target variety" range of ammo; American Eagle, PPU, Remington, pretty much anything I can find at around $20-$28 a box of 50. Most of those are "watered down" loads and not a true 10mm load. Of the 3 practice types I listed I averaged 1050 fps with American Eagle 180 FMJ, between 890 fps and 970 fps with the PPU HP, and around 1050 fps with the Remington 180 FMJ.

For the "carry stuff" for bear or other large critters I was running Sheep Dog 180 FMJ at around 1255 fps. I dont buy Buffalo Bore of Double Tap for the hard cast lead. I've been getting results I like out of the fast 180 fmj's. I'm switching to Underwood 180 fmj advertised at 1300 fps since Sheep Dog has shut down. 180 fmj Underwood seems pretty accurate with their velocities based on forum reports.

For aftermarket barrels I run only KKM Precision. They have a fully supported chamber and I dont get the "glock smile" case bulges you might get with the Glock factory barrel since the factory barrels dont have a fully supported chamber. I've never had to do any "pre-smith" work on a KKM Barrel to get it to fit right either. They are a true "drop in" Glock barrel. I've never had any other aftermarket barrels other than KKM so I cant speak for any other companies. You may be able to find what suits your own preference by doing some googling.

Aftermarket barrels are not totally necessary if your only occasionally blasting the heavy stuff but you will see noticeable case bulges near the rim, pushing the limits of nearing a KB. If you've ever seen a KB in any gun you'll see the reason why I only shoot heavy loads through fully supported chamber KKM barrels. The occasional rounds shouldn't hurt, see Hickock45's video on youtube where he runs some buffalo bore through a G20 and 29's with no issues.

You'll see that Glock doesnt recommend shooting "cast lead" round through the polygonal rifled barrels, and most would agree because they fear "leading" the rifling and causing excess pressures in the barrel leading up to a KB with the unsupported chamber and the high pressure "bear loads". This is the case with soft lead bullets like "cowboy" style loads but with a true "hard cast" bullet that has a gas check you won't have any issues blasing away with some buffalo bore through your Glock factory barrel. The gas check will keep the barrel from fouling up with too much lead BUT, be sure to clean often when shooting hard cast loads.

You will want to consider spring weight with hotter loads. Glocks come with factory 17 lb. springs. I havent seen much for aftermarket Gen 4 springs but I have a Wolff company (different from Lone Wolf) spring weight of 19 lb. and 21 lb. and Wolff guide rod I run in my Gen 3 G29 I will swap from the factory spring depending on if I'm plugging at the range, shooting duty loads or running bear loads. I'm still waiting on Jager Products to produce their Gen4 specific aftermarket guide rods.

For holsters CCW Safariland and DeSantis have some great options for IWB or OWB. I have several based on different occasions and weather and clothing types or if I am urban or in the wilds. Turtle Tracks used to make a good concealed chest rig which looked like a chest pouch on a harness similar to a Bino Harness. Hill People Gear makes a similar rig. Comfortable to wear but if you go that route you cant wear bino's on your chest. Any other questions PM. You had a lot of questions, I have a lot of answers.

OP
Whisky

Whisky

WKR
Awesome info, thank you!!! I've briefly read up on swapping springs and guide rods, but haven't got too far into that yet.

And yes, I will have binos on my chest along with the pack on the back..

I just traded my G29 off for a G21. Owned it a year, and never really used it. To me it was neither fish nor fowl. To fat for too CCW, and to short of barrel for backcountry. Ended up just using my G20 for general use and the 29 just gathered dust.

Biggest issue this year has been ammunition. 10mm isn't exactly a common round, and this year I basically couldn't get it at all. In the last 12 months, I've seen 10mm on the shelf exactly once, and I only got 2 boxes. Bear loads I haven't seen at all, and I'm hording my last 20 rds of Buffalo Bore and Double Tap. Adding the G21 as the companion piece gives me a similar gun to the G20 that I actually buy ammunition for.

I've had zero issues with leading with the one box of Double Tap hard cast loads I've shot, but they also wouldn't feed well in the G29 (work great in the G20).

I ran both my 10mm in completely stock form. No issues with case bulges and ejection was normal, even with the heavy BB or DT loads. I'm not sure what the advantage of the heavier spring is supposed to be, but it doesn't seem to be a critical item.

For field carry, I use a Diamond D harness with a SERPA holster attached. Rides nice and stays out of the way of the pack. Not an off the shelf item though.

Accuracy with my stock barrel in the G20 is good, so I haven't seen reason to change it, but I know that is not the case with all Glocks. I like good accuracy in a field gun and would go that route if I wasn't happy with the way it shot. I do some pot hunting once in a while, and it's nice if the gun hits where I aim it.

Yk

jherald

WKR
Where I am we did some ammo orders in bulk and had it shipped up via barge from Seattle to Anchorage then by barge to Bethel. Logistically, if you had the right group of guys who would all be willing to go in on a one time order of at least 5,000 rounds you could get ammo sent to a freight shipper in Seattle then sent to Anchorage via barge. Or have it sent to someone you know in WA who would be willing to drop it off to the barge co. and then have it shipped to Anchorage.

Of course, when we ordered it was ammo for 12 guys and we did 9,000 rounds of rifle, pistol and shotgun ammo.

OP
Whisky

Whisky

WKR
jherald, I also started that thread on the Hide about how to carry with a pack and binos on. I got your PM and tried to reply to you via Tapatalk and the sum bitch wasn't working, and now I lost your PM for some reason. Lots of good info there. Thank you!!

It seems more people are familiar with the KKM barrels instead of the Lone Wolfs..Lots of good info there.