GIS Project Ideas for Student

Big_Sky

Lil-Rokslider
Add road layers, maybe just Idaho state highways to keep it simple and then add in bridge (structure layer). You should be able to get those from ITD. Also, ITD asset management system or maintenance management system might capture drainage structures (culverts). If so, add that too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lak2004

WKR
So I just wanted to post an update on the project. I settled on the idea of animal crossings. So far I have the hot spot layers as well as individual incident layers on a map of the Idaho Panhandle (study area), but I am having trouble trying to determine just what method to use in identifying areas where the hypothetical construction of these over/underpasses would be best suited. Any ideas? I was initially thinking about using a layer that identifies "widening potential" in the roadway, but I am wondering if there is better method?
Could you use elevation data for high/low points near those areas for the crossings? Then that same data for fencing? These over/under passes create funnels by fencing for miles on either side and providing crossing points at critical points. Maybe there is a DNR layer showing migration routes to help aid in where to place the crossings?

Mudpuddle

Lil-Rokslider
Your road layer should have a classification for the size of the road. I would prioritize larger roads with a higher volume of traffic. I'd also prioritize locations with a higher volume of incidents and those that are farther away from other crossings because the impact of an overpass would be higher there. (If using ESRI you can group each of the clusters into their own layers and use the Near function to determine how spread apart they are.)

The fencing idea above or any data that shows funnels would be great, but you're going to have a hard time finding that sort of data.