Gila, anyone?

So Myself and two buddies have put in for the first archery elk season in 16B (Gila Wilderness). We are taking a drive there Thursday after work to look over the area on Friday. Just thought I would see if anyone had any suggestions for where we might look. Looks like a possible road closure in the NW. Worth a shot. If nothing I will just pick a drainage and go.

Renoit24

FNG
Let me know If you see any nice muleys or coues up there. I put in for a unit 16 mule deer hunt and was planning on hunting 16b if chosen. Won't be out to scout the Gila until may or so.

Bughalli

WKR
Pretty tough odds in getting drawn, but then I noticed you're a NM resident. Great zone. I haven't hunted that zone specifically. Tough to scout this time of year and expect them to be there come sept. I would just get familiar with the area and especially the water sources.

Renoit24

FNG
I'm actually from Texas but Ive been fortunate enough to draw 4 out of the last 5 yrs for rifle, but this year I'm trying for muzzleloader so I can hunt earlier in the season. With all the elk hunting going on in that unit it's hard to find good muleys. I've never hunted 16b but now that I have backpacking gear I'm planning on staying in the wilderness a few days. I'll send you a pm on a few areas to check out.

Topgun 30-06

Banned
I'm actually from Texas but Ive been fortunate enough to draw 4 out of the last 5 yrs for rifle, but this year I'm trying for muzzleloader so I can hunt earlier in the season. With all the elk hunting going on in that unit it's hard to find good muleys. I've never hunted 16b but now that I have backpacking gear I'm planning on staying in the wilderness a few days. I'll send you a pm on a few areas to check out.

He was talking to the OP about his elk draw chances. Who in the world do you know in the draw section to get a tag 4 of 5 years as a NR, LOL?!

Renoit24

FNG
Yes I realize how hard it is to draw the 16's for elk. I put in for 16b the last two years with no luck. The draw odds for mule deer tags in 16 isn't as competitive as the elk tags. Only drawback is its been really dry the last couple years and deer numbers have dropped.

SDHNTR

WKR
Yes I realize how hard it is to draw the 16's for elk. I put in for 16b the last two years with no luck. The draw odds for mule deer tags in 16 isn't as competitive as the elk tags. Only drawback is its been really dry the last couple years and deer numbers have dropped.

Sure as hell wasn't dry last year! The whole damn place nearly washed away! I hunted elk in the Gila Wilderness last year. Had a great trip and my buddy killed a great bull. I was scared for my life at times, but it was a great experience in the end. I'd give a nut to have that tag again under typical circumstances. In the course of the week we were there, I think I saw 2 muley does. Not where I would be spending time on a deer hunt personally.

Renoit24

FNG
Funny you mention that SD. Go figure the one year I didn't draw and it practicality floods over there. Thanks for the input. Since I've never hunted 16b, I thought I would scout some new areas. Was there alot of flood damage out there?

SDHNTR

WKR
Funny you mention that SD. Go figure the one year I didn't draw and it practicality floods over there. Thanks for the input. Since I've never hunted 16b, I thought I would scout some new areas. Was there alot of flood damage out there?

There's no practically about it. It did flood! The whole damn town of Mogollon damn near washed away. Check out pics from my report after the hunt. The trails were wrecked!

http://www.rokslide.com/forums/show...unt-that-wasn-t-supposed-to-be&highlight=Gila

Last edited:

Greenhorn

Lil-Rokslider
I hunted 16B in '99. We drove down from MT with a trailer of horses and none of us (4 of us) had ever stepped foot in the unit before that. We ended up going 4 for 4 in 4 days. Nothing huge, a freakhorn raggy, two 300s and one 325. Very fun hunt, lots of action, nice country, no pressure. We went in from the north, Loco Mtn, and hunted around Lilley. Shot one in clear creak, one on Jerky, and 2 near Lilly. Great time. Good luck!

SDHNTR

WKR
I hunted 16B in '99. We drove down from MT with a trailer of horses and none of us (4 of us) had ever stepped foot in the unit before that. We ended up going 4 for 4 in 4 days. Nothing huge, a freakhorn raggy, two 300s and one 325. Very fun hunt, lots of action, nice country, no pressure. We went in from the north, Loco Mtn, and hunted around Lilley. Shot one in clear creak, one on Jerky, and 2 near Lilly. Great time. Good luck!

Damn that sounds like the way our itinerary was supposed to read. All that country was totally inaccessible last year. The little trickle to cross at Snow Lake to get to Loco was 100 yards wide and 4' deep. Just nuts! Horses are key in that unit. Definitely wouldn't hunt it again without them. Not so much to get you into the elk, although they surely help for that, but to get one out ASAP. Doesn't get cold enough at night to leave meat hanging.

I'll add my .02. Don't listen to anyone who tells you that you need a horse to hunt this unit. Use the quads that God gave you. If you're in terrible shape however, your hunt won't be much fun

Riplip

WKR
how about a report from scouting trip? I also put in 16, long odds as a NR but you cant win if you don't play.

txgila

FNG
Yea sorry about the anonymous post ;)

Thanks, don't know score but he's a neat old bull with a lot of history. In 2012 I missed him at 27 yards. Saw him again scouting with my dad in August 2013. A few weeks later I got on him cow calling and shot him at 51 yards, he fell about ten yards from the tree I was standing under when I missed him the year before. Definitely felt like he was the king of that ridge and an old fighter, taxidermist says he had a broken nose from years before. Gila is a magical place.

OP
HardcoreHunter
how about a report from scouting trip? I also put in 16, long odds as a NR but you cant win if you don't play.

Well in a nutshell, it was successful. Where we did not see may elk on the hike in, this trip was more to get eyes on the general area. We were unable to get to the area we wanted to head in to due to road closures, so we headed in at snow lake. The devastation from last years flooding was clearly evident. You could see spots where that little creek would have been 40 feet across and up to 7-8 foot deep if not more. Saw quite a bit of elk sign, most a couple weeks old. However, we did see some fresh sign. Super excited to head back in a few weeks from now, and hopefully be able to head in where we intend to in the fall. All in all we went in about 2.5 miles, but intend to go in further next time when we have the whole weekend to do so, as this was just a hike in hike out trip. Saw a lot of elk on the drive out. mostly cows, but a few bulls that had already dropped the bone, and a spike that had not.
IMG_0009_zps259d05e5.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]