Giant Archery Bucks

dg96

FNG
I’ve seen a few really big Colorado bucks taken this season already. Randy Ulmers for example killed a giant deer in the alpine country.
My question is how is there not 10 guys trying to kill this buck? A deer like that had to have several people know about it. Seems like it would be combat hunting for a deer like that.

Last edited:

huntnful

WKR
Private land & premium unit wide tags with not much competition from other tag holders. Also, some deer just don’t get found by other hunters if they are living in unconventional areas.

Fogalo

Lil-Rokslider
It sounds like the only competition Randy Ulmer has is folks with the governors tag because it takes an army of mortals to scout as much as he does.

Pistolpete28

Lil-Rokslider
From what I understand Randy hunts some of the best units in Colorado every year. He probably buys a landowner tag I assume. Then he put s an immense amount of time scouting as has been stated in the posts above. That is not to take away from his hunting/shooting abilities. I’m sure the guy could pull a nice buck on an average archery tag with the skill and determination he has.

Pistolpete28

Lil-Rokslider
Private land & premium unit wide tags with not much competition from other tag holders. Also, some deer just don’t get found by other hunters if they are living in unconventional areas.
Yes it sounds like a lot of the bucks he takes don’t live in the “high country”

TheTone

WKR
Yes it sounds like a lot of the bucks he takes don’t live in the “high country”
I think his Colorado deer are mostly high country and public, but on landowner tags he is getting each year. I just listened to an older Hoyt podcast with him where he has a story of a governors tag holder and posse blowing out a buck he was stalking and then killing it with a rifle. It was a pretty gross story, the fact he wasn’t madder about it was amazing to me