WTB Ghostbear ripped me off!

Rob5589

WKR
Rating - 100%
24   0   0
Crypto!!!

People aren't taking G&S now due to the $600 tax thing. I know because I'm trying to buy an upper from the classifieds right now. Lol
Sometimes buying used just isn't worth it. I believe that the tax liability is based on profit made. Most items are sold at a loss so shouldn't be an issue

rclouse79

WKR
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I am sorry to hear you got ghosted by Ghostbear. I have bought a few things on here with no issues, but have kept all my purchases under $150. I figure if I get burned on a low priced item, that is a stupid tax I can live with.

atmat

WKR
Rating - 100%
77   0   0
Sometimes buying used just isn't worth it. I believe that the tax liability is based on profit made. Most items are sold at a loss so shouldn't be an issue
This is correct, but you’re still issued a tax form that’s also sent to the IRS.

If, in the rare event you were audited, you just need to prove you didn’t profit on it — which would mean keeping original receipts.

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
This is correct, but you’re still issued a tax form that’s also sent to the IRS.

If, in the rare event you were audited, you just need to prove you didn’t profit on it — which would mean keeping original receipts.
Once they audit they want everything and want to nitpick it all, probably gonna be a lot worse than just one transaction. Got to pay for those 87,000 new IRS agents too so I'm betting the audits won't be as rare as usual.

10ringer

WKR
Rating - 100%
23   0   0
First off sorry you got scammed! An extra step you can take in the future is ask for a custom photo, for example have them take a picture of the binoculars on a coffee table with a hat and a pair of socks. Whatever you come up with just make it random enough somebody can’t Photoshop it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IAMRAJ

Lil-Rokslider
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
Don't grill the guy with 'when ppl are gonna learn'. You might spend all your life waiting for that response on your post and glued to your comp/smartphone but not everybody is here all the time. It happens and it sucks. Your big words are not going to make someone feel better for how they got frauded. Spare your 'I know everything/I'm so smart' attitude....Read stickey or read this' I've bought and sold thousabds of stuff online on million forums...I do not ever read any sticky or this or that. Use my own judgement and follow.
To OP.....Man....it sucks it happens and I sincerely hope that paypal or somebody can do sonething about it. Thank you for informing us here.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

atmat

WKR
Rating - 100%
77   0   0
Don't grill the guy with 'when ppl are gonna learn'. You might spend all your life waiting for that response on your post and glued to your comp/smartphone but not everybody is here all the time. It happens and it sucks. Your big words are not going to make someone feel better for how they got frauded. Spare your 'I know everything/I'm so smart' attitude....Read stickey or read this' I've bought and sold thousabds of stuff online on million forums...I do not ever read any sticky or this or that. Use my own judgement and follow.
To OP.....Man....it sucks it happens and I sincerely hope that paypal or somebody can do sonething about it. Thank you for informing us here.

No one has grilled OP and he said he posted this for others awareness. Why would we not respond with advice for anyone who eventually reads this?

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
OP- this may come across as a bashing but that is not my intent. I hope other members will read this and learn from your misfortunes.

How do we keep falling for this bullshit. How many red flags need to be present before we realize what is going on. Nobody deserves to get scammed, and these scammers should all rot in hell, but people need to smarten up.
RED Flags that should not be ignored unless you like giving money away:
Fairly new member with no feedback
WTB adds are the Dinner bells to scammers
F&F PayPal, Venmo, Zelle, cash app
prices too good to be true
seller will not submit custom photos you request
seller wont facetime

The few scammers I ran into on this site were complete idiots. All I had to was ask them a few bull$hit questions about the item they supposedly had, and you could clearly tell they had no idea what they were talking about, pair that with their other activity on this site and preferred payment method and it was clear as day they were scammers.

OP
2-Stix

2-Stix

WKR
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
I appreciate everyones input. Its what it is. I made an error. I am correcting that and hope to spread awareness on the form. Its my fault, I had holes in my process and a crook took advantage of me.

I just bought a spotter for a really good deal. So I was comfortable buying here.

The guy that burned me reached out. Was normal. Had a history of 6 months on the site, had 15+ posts as an active person here. Answered all my questions, sent photos on request wanted to go Venmo, but I don't have that and opped for PP. It was my fault that I went F&F and the price was to good to be true. But even at a higher price it could have happened. I will never go F&F again. That is the big lesson. I could have talked to them, did all the right things, and with F&F I still could have been burned.

You can do everything right, but if the payment process is not protected you leave yourself open.

For the record his name is Jay Cooper and his email is [email protected]

Last edited:

IAMRAJ

Lil-Rokslider
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
No one has grilled OP and he said he posted this for others awareness. Why would we not respond with advice for anyone who eventually reads this?
Thats great but it sounded like a lil negative tone in your first advice about reading sticky. If it was not negative my apologies. I agree that these threads are good 'alert' and learning curve for folks who wanna do buy & sell.

fwafwow

WKR
Classified Approved
Rating - 100%
38   0   0
One thing we can do (in addition to the above precautions if you are buying) is report new members from the beginning if they sound like they are just trying to establish a record of posts over time and are suspicious. Maybe I will end up over reporting and catch someone who is just trying to quickly get to 10 to hit the classifieds. But some of the new members post a series of dumb and sometimes inconsistent posts.

SHTF

WKR
Classified Approved
Rating - 100%
21   0   0
I only accept Paypal FF or Zella sorry I refuse to have to deal with IRS crooks and taking more money from me when I sell something I bought and paid for myself. Then again I have built a solid reputation and am well known on Rokslide Thousands of deals with happy Roksliders have bought and sold to me. 6 Months is not a long time on here. I would be cautious at 2 years even if they have low sale feedback. Yeah I have to say B6 Mavens for 450$ that obviously doesnt pass the smell test.

Good on you getting on here though and letting others know. Takes a village to keep Rokslideville streets clean and removed the trash that does not belong.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
If anyone is wondering, Ghostbear is banned.

For anyone looking at user feedback, that was only implemented a few years ago. We used to delete our ads once sold. So you won’t find much classified posts or any feedback prior to 2018 (I think).

68Plexi

WKR
Rating - 100%
34   0   0
If anyone is wondering, Ghostbear is banned.

For anyone looking at user feedback, that was only implemented a few years ago. We used to delete our ads once sold. So you won’t find much classified posts or any feedback prior to 2018 (I think).

I just had someone reach out via DM telling me they had a vest I had just commented on in another persons classified post not being the right size. Wasn’t sure how to report it since it was a DM other than sending a DM to a moderator, which I did to Ryan.

He told me to text him for further communication and his grammar was off just a bit so I didn’t respond. He had 10 posts, all welcoming FNG’s. No feedback. Happening far too often.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

douglasfir

Lil-Rokslider
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I don't always do G&S for paypal, but I'll always insist on G&S with a WTB ad. And after getting multiple scam attempts on my last WTB ad, including one that was fairly convincing, I got spooked pretty good. I'm done with WTB's except for small things where I can insist on paypal goods and services (like cheaper non firearms stuff).

madgrad02

WKR
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
Would it flag the IRS if you were to buy something over $600, but split payment up over 2 (or more) G&S transactions? Wasn't sure if that'd still flag Brandon's IRS goon squad... asking for a friend! 🤣

Last edited:

fwafwow

WKR
Classified Approved
Rating - 100%
38   0   0
Would it flag the IRS if you were to buy something over $600, but split payment up over 2 (or more) G&S transactions? Wasn't sure if that'd still flag Brandon's IRS goon squad... asking for a friend! 🤣
I think it’s $600 total for the year, not per transaction.

FWIW, I prefer F&F when I’m selling because of my fear of getting scammed by a buyer (it’s not paranoia if they are out to get you). I will, however, accept G&S from a WKR. I’m personally not afraid of the IRS reporting rule, and if it gives the buyer comfort - fine. Long standing members seem less worried about that.