WTB Ghostbear ripped me off!

2-Stix

WKR
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Had a person reach out where I posted a WTB for Maven B.6 12x50. I did a PayPal F&F transaction, then they disappeared off the site & off my conversations with my $450. They set a fake USPS tracking number.

I did not get the name, phone and address and I went F&F on PayPal. My Fault.

The deal was going smoothly with info, and photos, they had a history on the site for 6 months with posts, they sent an email and tracking number. I emailed them after the tracking number didn't work as I discovered they vanished, and the email recipient said I don't know what you're talking about. They said they let a friend use their PayPal and will reach out to them. Trying to get a refund. Bummed out here, its not looking good. I emailed Ryan at Rokslide, but I think this is a lost cause.

Is there any repercussion I can do?

The user name was Ghostbear and he can kick rocks!

The person that stole from me is Jay Cooper and his email is/was [email protected]. I was just notified he stole $2k from another member.

The lesson is simple...dont use F&F for PayPal...you have no recourse.

Last edited:

atmat

WKR
Rating - 100%
78   0   0
Posting a WTB is asking to be defrauded. People need to learn how to tell a scam, or pay the 3% PayPal purchase fee.

wyosteve

WKR
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Can't believe these things keep happening with all the threads of red flags/signs of scam over the past few years. Does no one read them?

OP
2-Stix

2-Stix

WKR
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Lesson learned, but I wanted to post this for others to learn from my mistake.

Get a name, number, and address. Also do not use F&F for PayPal and don't use other phone point of sale...Venmo or Zelle.

I have sold 2 items and bought 1 other recently with no issues. I didn't know this happened.

atmat

WKR
Rating - 100%
78   0   0
Leason learned, but I wanted to post this for other to learn from my mistake.

Get a name, number and address. Also do not use F&F for PayPal and dont use other phone point of sales...Venmo or Zelle.
The issue is that these are posted every week and folks still don’t learn. Also, that same advice is in the stickied Classified rules.

So sorry you lost money. It sucks big time.

OP
2-Stix

2-Stix

WKR
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
The issue is that these are posted every week and folks still don’t learn. Also, that same advice is in the stickied Classified rules.

So sorry you lost money. It sucks big time.
I didn't see these posted. I am not on here a ton. I read the sticky after when I was looking for a resolution. Sucks for sure...my fault.

I emailed him and he responded...then went dark.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Posting a WTB is asking to be defrauded. People need to learn how to tell a scam, or pay the 3% PayPal purchase fee.
Yeah don’t want to pile on; dude got bilked and that sucks. BUT it seems like a LOT of these scams stem from WTB posts

stitchesdraw

Lil-Rokslider
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Thanks for the heads up.
As I just posted a WTB. As the auto selection is required when uploading an ad

It's so crappy that these assholes sneak in here

I had a bad feeling about someone a few months back so I said nahhhh and walked away. 3 weeks of aggressive messages telling me how good his record was. Ummmm cya pal !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

atmat

WKR
Rating - 100%
78   0   0
Yeah don’t want to pile on; dude got bilked and that sucks. BUT it seems like a LOT of these scams stem from WTB posts
It’s gotten to the point where if I see WTB ads I’ll just post a comment to watch for scammers.
Thanks for the heads up.
As I just posted a WTB. As the auto selection is required when uploading an ad

It's so crappy that these assholes sneak in here

I had a bad feeling about someone a few months back so I said nahhhh and walked away. 3 weeks of aggressive messages telling me how good his record was. Ummmm cya pal !

If all else fails, hit the Report button and let the mods look into it. They’re awesome.

Rating - 100%
21   0   0
Dang. That sucks! WTB ads definitely generate more scammers. I’ve since turned on the two-way authentication step for my Rok account. With my feedback and me asking for F&F payment it would be very easy for someone to get scammed.

Almost tempted to add a TNT 🧨 authenticator in my posts.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Any use in filing a police report for stuff like this? It's clearly fraudulent and laws were broken no matter if you paid F&F or not.

Also I think I'll change my password to something extremely complex as well... seems like a hacker that could login to fake accounts could use that trust from existing users to defraud people easily.

atmat

WKR
Rating - 100%
78   0   0
Any use in filing a police report for stuff like this? It's clearly fraudulent and laws were broken no matter if you paid F&F or not.

Also I think I'll change my password to something extremely complex as well... seems like a hacker that could login to fake accounts could use that trust from existing users to defraud people easily.
You could, but police aren’t going to care about $450 lost online.

Even if they did: my best friend works in fraud/cybersecurity for a Fortune 10 company. He claims most of electronic scammers are not even in the US not in countries that extradite to the US.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lesson learned, but I wanted to post this for others to learn from my mistake.

Get a name, number, and address. Also do not use F&F for PayPal and don't use other phone point of sale...Venmo or Zelle.

I have sold 2 items and bought 1 other recently with no issues. I didn't know this happened.

New member here and anybody can answer this but if not PayPal, Venmo, or Zelle what is recommended for payment?

What does name, number and address change? Couldn’t one lie about all these? Do you all vet these online or something?

Fatcamp

WKR
Rating - 100%
21   0   0
New member here and anybody can answer this but if not PayPal, Venmo, or Zelle what is recommended for payment?

What does name, number and address change? Couldn’t one lie about all these? Do you all vet these online or something?

Paypal Goods and Services. Call and chat on the phone.

Rating - 100%
4   0   0

Crypto!!!
Paupal Goodd and Services. Call and chat on the phone.
People aren't taking G&S now due to the $600 tax thing. I know because I'm trying to buy an upper from the classifieds right now. Lol