Getting into Target Archery

JStol5

WKR
Been shooting hunting bows for about four years now, and thinking about getting into target archery. I love shooting bows and wanted to hear from some folks who have dipped their boots into the target side as well. Why did you start? How has it helped your shooting? Do you compete? It’s pricey to get into a target bow, how did you approach building your setup?

Target archery is completely new to me so all feedback is appreciated. Been shooting hunting bows with good accuracy at the range and in the field but have been thinking about this for a bit now.

deertrout

Lil-Rokslider
I got into it a few years ago and really enjoyed it. I just used my hunting bow with target accessories and arrows and did alright. Won my local club's 3D league two years, took 3rd in indoor two years and 3rd at a state level FITA shoot. I say all that not to brag but to say you can be competitive with a hunting bow. I jacked my shoulder up at the end of year two from all the shooting I was doing and went to a crossbow and haven't shot my compound since. With that said, I'd definitely recommend lower poundage and a good warmup routine with some regular stretching or something through the week during the season and leading into the season.

You're also going to dial in a shot sequence, especially for indoor. It's only about 20yds depending on the type of target you're shooting so the difference between good and great is mostly about consistency. There were a lot of guys who were great shots but a bad shot here and there takes you out of the game to win. The consistency you learn during indoor will really help your 3D and hunting games.

The thing I enjoyed about it the most was just the BS'ing with everyone between ends. Made some great friends there.

big44a4

WKR
Been shooting hunting bows for about four years now, and thinking about getting into target archery. I love shooting bows and wanted to hear from some folks who have dipped their boots into the target side as well. Why did you start? How has it helped your shooting? Do you compete? It’s pricey to get into a target bow, how did you approach building your setup?

Target archery is completely new to me so all feedback is appreciated. Been shooting hunting bows with good accuracy at the range and in the field but have been thinking about this for a bit now.

It’s fun to compete. I started in K40 and worked my way up far as you can. Can find a lot of good used target bows here but it’s best to find a shop with a shooting staff as those people tend to upgrade to the new bows each year leaving some good deals on last years target models. Then you can try them out before buying as some bows do not mesh with the shooter even though the great ones can shoot anything. I got my first target bow from a pro for a great deal. Then got started with used accessories and slowly replaced/“upgraded” as I could afford to.

Improved my shooting in all aspects, but also your standards change as you get better. Also like life ups and downs happen as the sport is more mental than physical. Most fun part is making great friends and getting a fun group to shoot with even if it’s just local shoots.

I started shooting at a local club, then got talked into going to some larger shoots.

I always enjoyed archery, just got to a point where I have the means (time and money) to spend traveling to shoot.

Easy to use a hunting bow, but you will want to have it setup specific for a class. Generally you are looking at a pins class that is a maximum of 12" front bar and no lens, or if you are adjusting a sight you are thrown into a freestyle class that doesn't have limitations on equipment. ASA just started a new class for short bars and sliders tho.

Archery gets a lot more frustrating when you keep score.

Best advice I can offer is find a local club or shop that’s having shoots and go. Your current equipment will fit a class. Shoot a few matches, chat up the locals. Usually folks are very helpful. You can usually find equipment used, tie into the culture and that a good way to do that. Start small! It’s a great hobby but like all hobbies it’s a rabbit hole and it’s easy to get lost in the details. As an example - around here most summer shoots are a safari style. That set up wouldn’t be optimal if I went into the southern us where most shoots are asa/ibo 3D. It would be close, but not optimal.

Beendare

WKR
I used to decades ago…its a good way to see how good of a shot you really are.

I see guys on forums discounting the advice from the top pros….Ha. Go try and shoot against those guys and find out. I did it for a few years and never could crack that top tier of shooters.

I told myself it was because I had a day job…but in reality that extra 3% was unattainable for me. Hopefully you can.

BowBaboon

FNG
I started shooting Vegas faces this winter. I just used my hunting bow with a different peep/sight combination. I also switched to a hinge for the Vegas faces.

I think it really helped me work on form. Having a specific X to target helped me to track my progress through the winter too. I’m excited to get back outside and see if my longer groupings will be tighter now.

Great way to keep motivation to shoot in the off-season. That's why I'd be getting into it. Definitely helps shooting if you have good form. Lots of repetition in archery is always your friend