Getting back into archery............

I'm looking to get back into archery hunting. For years I hunted alot with archery equipment, but decided to put it on the back burner for the last 2 years due to kids and different hunts taking up most of my time. The last bow I had was an elite gt500 which I liked a lot, I'm not wanting to spend the high end bow dollars! But want something in the $500-700 range that will be a good, forgiving HUNTING bow. I'm looking at the bear domain and method, are they any good? The domain is on sale for $550 right now. Any other suggestions are welcome!

JeremiahH

WKR
I really like my hoyt alphamax but it's a few years old now. I will probably get a few more out of it for sure. Hoyt has some new model cost friendly bows out now if you have a dealer close by. I just picked up a Parker frontier close out bow and I have yet to set it up. My bro in law is a sales manager for Parker and I've shot his bow a bunch. I was surprised how well these Parkers shoot for being newer to the bow world. He has some dealers in WY, If you can get behind one at a range they are worth a try, good price point too.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
I personally would look at getting a flag ship bow from a big name company that was a couple years old rather than buy a new mid grade bow. Depreciation is allot in that first year.Down side is you can't shoot it and test how it feels to you.

mireland62887

Lil-Rokslider
Buy used!!!

You can find some really fair deals out there for lightly used bows. AT has a ton, but I ended up finding a like new Hoyt Spyder on Rokslide's forum. Super happy with it.

Agreed go shoot as many year old bows as possible find one or two that you really like then find it used. Guys change bows like socks.

KMT

WKR
$500-700 will get you a good bow at bass pro shops or cabelas. Bear is a good bow. So are Parker bows. But they don't advertise like crazy, therefore you don't have to drop $800+ for a bow and another $200-500 for accessories to help pay for their ads. If you're not worried that someone will think less of you because you don't shoot a Mathews, Hoyt, or any other brand, you can get a descent complete setup as a combo. I know a guy that shoots a 20 year old PSE (no idea which model) and the most rediculous looking uncut aluminum arrows. He gets an elk almost every year.

Craig4791

WKR
Archery talk classifieds. Get last Year's model from someone back east it will be like new!

OP
Elkmasterwyo
$500-700 will get you a good bow at bass pro shops or cabelas. Bear is a good bow. So are Parker bows. But they don't advertise like crazy, therefore you don't have to drop $800+ for a bow and another $200-500 for accessories to help pay for their ads. If you're not worried that someone will think less of you because you don't shoot a Mathews, Hoyt, or any other brand, you can get a descent complete setup as a combo. I know a guy that shoots a 20 year old PSE (no idea which model) and the most rediculous looking uncut aluminum arrows. He gets an elk almost every year.

I know what your saying! I shot my first elk at 42yds with a round wheeled pse nova, and full shaft arrows(had no idea at the time to cut them down lol) I'm not wanting a super fast speed machine, i'd rather something I can shoot really good and consistent out to 40-50yds. I think I'll look into some last years models and try to save a buck that way. Never shot a Hoyt and honestly never liked the grip on a single Mathews I've handled. Keep the suggestions coming!

OR Archer

WKR
Ill play devils advocate here against the used route. I've seen a lot of guys brings bows in that they have picked up used only to find out that the bow just wont work for them or the bow was damaged some how. You have no idea if the bow you are buying has been abused.

There are some fantastic bows in the $500-700 range these days. Hoyt Charger is a phenomenal bow. Mission Blaze and Ballistic are also great mid range bows. PSE Premonition is also a great bow in that range. Visit your local shop and see what they have available. This time of year a lot of shops will have close out specials on last year models that are brand new. You can sometimes find a great deal on a new 2013 top end model.

Jon Boy

WKR
Im always suggesting Mission for budget bows as I have and hunt with one. Ive hunted with my Maniac for 4 seasons now and it has done me well. 68lbs at 28 inches of draw shooting a 425 grain arrow 252 fps. I know that doesnt sound blazing fast but I got a pass through on a doe at 65 yards last year and a pass through on my bull this year at 42 yards. I shoot it a lot and it feels like an extension of my body. I always catch flack from guys at the shop until we hit the range...
Im tough on gear and have beat the hell out of it and never had an issue.

chobbs

Lil-Rokslider
Now is definitely the time to find a 2013 new at a discount price. Looks like you are up in Lyman but if you ever venture to Cheyenne then cross the border into Colorado, I would be more than happy to let you shoot both of my New Breeds.

boom

WKR
heck..there are 2014 bow for sale used at Archery talk.

just saw a brand new ELITE energy 35 for sale. crazy.

I shoot it a lot and it feels like an extension of my body. I always catch flack from guys at the shop until we hit the range...
Im tough on gear and have beat the hell out of it and never had an issue.

Two things.

1 - That is EXACTLY how I feel about my bow, to the "T"! Most folks who bow hunt do not keep a bow long enough for it to feel that way, or they do not shoot it enough to get that feeling. Those who do, know exactly what you are saying! That feeling should be every archers goal, in my opinion.

2 - I also beat the piss out of my bow, after a hunt it looks like it's been through hell... I shoot it at the shop next to all the other guys brand new bows that look like they never leave the house :)

Go to a shop, shoot a bunch of bows and then make your choice based on how good they felt while shooting, everyone has different opinions on bows and very few shoot the same way as the guy next to them...

Good luck!