Getting away from higher end clothes.

Lowg08

WKR
Here lately I been off loading allot of clothes due to losing 36 pounds. When I’ve went to replace them. I’ve been replacing my pants with ATG/eddie Bauer guide pro pants and some jackets with a wind shirt and fleece button up shirt. I kept a few things such as under armour down, and first lite base layers. Went with solid earth tones and flannel patterns. Has anyone found any downside to lower price range clothes when they have had the hunting brands prior? So far the pants have been really nice.

WillyP-AZ

FNG
If the stuff you use is durable and appropriate for the temperatures I don’t see any reason not to use that gear. I’m sure an argument could be made for scent control. For example, being a firefighter and wearing boots all day, I could never give up merino wool socks cause my feet sweat like MFs. I also really like the vents on my Kuiu pants and jacket. But when it’s not too cold, I usually just hunt in a neutral long sleeve t shirt and 5.11 tac pants cause it blends in well with the desert.

OP
Lowg08

Lowg08

WKR
Im definitely not giving up my merino socks and base and mid layers. I can’t not wear merino socks. Ain’t happening. I got a couple items I won’t separate from. Other than that. The clothes I been replacing are surprisingly comfortable and check all the boxes. I ordered a pair of Sitka mountain pants and the ATG pants and sent the Sitka back because they felt no different to me.

Geewhiz

WKR
When it comes to pants I have yet to find a decent pair of quality active outdoor pants with zippered hip or thigh vents other than top dollar hunting pants which is a deal breaker for me. If anybody knows of any let me know.

OP
Lowg08

Lowg08

WKR
I’ve always been a hip vent or die guy until Here lately. I realized I been forgetting to use them unless it’s freezing and I’m hiking in but more times than not I forget to use them. Considering I hunter higher elevations with cooler temps early in the season. I can live without them so far.

Those "cheap" Wrangler pants that are KUIU look-a-likes aren't bad for dry weather hunting.

Otherwise, I've been using the BlackOvis pants that have some water repellency.

PredatoronthePrairie

Lil-Rokslider
Have the wranglers, sitka, FL, kuiu.

The atgs are fine for day trips to the farm and for yard work. Wouldn't want to depend on them for a 7 day stretch in the mountains when the season is on the line.

OP
Lowg08

Lowg08

WKR
Have the wranglers, sitka, FL, kuiu.

The atgs are fine for day trips to the farm and for yard work. Wouldn't want to depend on them for a 7 day stretch in the mountains when the season is on the line.
Yea. If my pants are going to be what puts my hunt on the line. I have got much bigger issues than that. These companies ain’t been around that long. I have less picks in the ATG than my kuiu had.

When it comes to pants I have yet to find a decent pair of quality active outdoor pants with zippered hip or thigh vents other than top dollar hunting pants which is a deal breaker for me. If anybody knows of any let me know.
The outdoor vital pants are worth checking out.

PredatoronthePrairie

Lil-Rokslider
Yea. If my pants are going to be what puts my hunt on the line. I have got much bigger issues than that. These companies ain’t been around that long. I have less picks in the ATG than my kuiu had.

Didnt say they were. Im just saying. Your 5 miles in and the crotch blows out. Have fun trekking back. Know I don't carry an extra set along.

Take a look at the DULUTH brand fire host pants, plenty of crotch room and built in knee pockets for removable pads, wear well also.not as pricey as the so called upper tier hunting clothing.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
There’s a few gems but I think buying used or clearance sales are the best way to go.

Those OV pants are like a slightly lighter attack pant with a some slightly different features, not a bad option.

thisguy

FNG
Wore a pair of ATGs most of last year. Worked great. Not water resistant but they dry really fast. Threw on gaiters for dew and rain pants for rain. Tore a hole in the leg going over deadfall and it didn't hurt like tearing some $180 pants would've. The nice thing is I wear them the rest of the year too. As far as other gear, I run good rain gear and merino but otherwise I don't believe in paying for a logo or camo pattern

OP
Lowg08

Lowg08

WKR
Wore a pair of ATGs most of last year. Worked great. Not water resistant but they dry really fast. Threw on gaiters for dew and rain pants for rain. Tore a hole in the leg going over deadfall and it didn't hurt like tearing some $180 pants would've. The nice thing is I wear them the rest of the year too. As far as other gear, I run good rain gear and merino but otherwise I don't believe in paying for a logo or camo pattern
There are certain items I’m not willing to skimp on. Like you said merino and good rain gear. Good down is hard to pass on too. Otherwise there are some nice gear with no logo. I’ve had some of the legendary whitetail fleece navigator shirts for everyday wear and I though man this would feel good in the woods so we will try that.

zacattack

WKR
Here lately I been off loading allot of clothes due to losing 36 pounds. When I’ve went to replace them. I’ve been replacing my pants with ATG/eddie Bauer guide pro pants and some jackets with a wind shirt and fleece button up shirt. I kept a few things such as under armour down, and first lite base layers. Went with solid earth tones and flannel patterns. Has anyone found any downside to lower price range clothes when they have had the hunting brands prior? So far the pants have been really nice.
No. I’ve used quite a bit of Eddie Bauer clothing, guide pro pants and the insulated ones have been top notch. I also have one of the cirrus lite down jackets from them and it’s been a great piece of gear that I got on sale for around $40

thisguy

FNG
There are certain items I’m not willing to skimp on. Like you said merino and good rain gear. Good down is hard to pass on too. Otherwise there are some nice gear with no logo. I’ve had some of the legendary whitetail fleece navigator shirts for everyday wear and I though man this would feel good in the woods so we will try that.
Right, I wear one of those legendary whitetail fleece shirts a lot as well. I don't have anything against hunting clothing brands but they mostly way overprice. I did pick up a sitka equinox guard set this spring (on a great sale) and I wish I had years ago for buggy early season hunts. Mosquitos love me but that stuff actually works. Something like that if it makes a difference I'll buy it...