Favorite Top Layers: Baselayer / Fleece / Puffy / Rain Shell

I would like to switch to one layering system for everything. Somehow I’ve ended up with several different baselayers for different scenarios and different rain jackets mid layers, etc. I don't think this has really benefited me and I'm looking to simplify things and clean out my gear closet. I would like to pick one baselayer, one fleece mid layer, one puffy and one rain jacket to do it all August – November out west. States I apply for are Utah, Nevada, Colorado and Wyoming. Mainly hunt deer and elk with bow and rifle and only do 2-3 hunts per year.

I’ve been loyal to one brand for several years now and I would like to go all solids and stop picking an item because brand x sells it and I’m tied to a camo pattern. I would also like to use these clothes for more than hunting. I don't wear camo clothes when I'm in town, hiking or camping...

I have a few pieces in mind, however, I wanted to get everyone’s opinion without my ideas providing a starting point. Wanting to leave this fairly open ended with a little criteria below

Here’s a few thoughts on each layer

• Baselayer: I would like to use a merino blend of some sorts. I sweat a lot and as a result stink out pure synthetics quick. I also want a blend for quicker drying and increased durability. Looking for a hooded baselayer since I do a lot of early archery high alpine mule deer hunting and need the sun protection
  • Mid layer: Looking for a mid weight fleece with a hood. Doesn’t need pockets or anything fancy. A good ¾ or ½ zip that’s quick drying, again because I sweat a lot. Would also like some durability in this piece. One that isn’t susceptible to piling. Would like to keep this piece under 15 ounces in a size large
  • Puffy: Looking for down here. Just prefer the weight and compressibility of down. I would like treated down. Not planning on busting brush with this on but would like reasonable durability. Decent fill power and a decent amount of fill. Needs a hood
  • Rain jacket: Looking for something reasonably durable with hand pockets (I don’t need a chest pocket). Decent breathability and pit zips. Looking for something packable. I don’t need the same level of packability as cabelas space rain gear though.
I’m an ounce counter since I do a lot of backpack hunts. So looking for something that is a good balance of lightweight and durability. I want solid colors in earth tones – grays, greens and browns. I like hoods on all my top layers.

I already have my pants and bottom layers figured out. I’m mainly looking for input on the top layers.

Basically what’s your favorite piece in each of the four categories irrespective of brand. Thanks!

Wapiti16

FNG
I'm with you, I definitely prefer earth tone solids in hunting clothes over camo in most situations.

Baselayer: Sitka Core Lightweight (synthetic) or First Lite Wick (merino), both in solid colors.
Midlayer: Sitka Apex hoody in SubAlpine or Stone Glacier Helios hoody in gray
Puffy: Stone Glacier Grumman in gray
Rain jacket: 2021 Sitka Dewpoint in Pyrite

j33

WKR
I have some of the below and don’t own most. You can research a ton or just go with what some folks say.

Baselayer: IMO a hooded baselayer without minimum 1/4 zip is a no go for me. Wick doesn’t have a zip, would be perfect if this doesn’t matter to you. I run a Sitka Leightweight hoody and love it, starts to stink after a few days though.

Mid: Do you want something windproof? If so Kuiu Peloton 240. If you don’t care about wind literally any fleece works so many options these days and non hunting brands have good ones too.
Avoid any Merino they’re just too heavy and slow drying for a mid. I run a Kuiu Peloton 240 or 97 pending weather, a 6oz mid layer hoody is a big weight savings but will pile on anything.

Puffy: Raab Electron... No other puffy on the market that has the value this one has and still has coated down.

Rain: Sitka Dewpoint, Kuiu Chugach, Stone Glacier M5.... Lots of non hunting brands with pit zips too.

Deli

Lil-Rokslider
If you prefer solids (me too), have you looked into mountaineering or ski brands like outdoor research, arc'teryx, or any of the many others? You can normally get the same quality as hunting brands for cheaper price and easier to buy on sale. I love my icebreaker and minus 33 base layers. Puffies are easy to find on sale around now after winter. Good rain gear can even be found used for cheap because people don't understand how to wash and re waterproof. I have camo hunting gear but prefer my hiking/mountain biking clothing better as it does the same things. Just a thought.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Tick

WKR
Top layers I have been comfortable in down to single digits. I only run a hood on the insulation and rain. No camo total about 48oz. I wasted a lot of money and time trying different options. One less thing to worry about when I reduced my options in the closet.

Base: Kuiu peloton 118 or Sitka lightweight
Mid: Peloton 240
Insulation: Marmot hype hoody
Rain: Outdoor Research horizon.

slick

WKR
Base: Kuiu 145 Merino
Mid: SG Helio
Down: SG Grumman
Syn: Kuiu Kenai
Rain: Kuiu Kutana. (SG M5 has better specs and is slightly lighter)

I also have a Rab Xenon hoody syn jacket that I wear most days of the year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JohnB

WKR
Base: Patagonia t short or long sleeve
Mid: Patagonia R1 or Outdoor Research Ascendant
Rain: 6oz Rab shell. It doesnt rain much where I hunt.
Puffy: Old beat to hell Black Diamond Belay synthetic puffy.

Last edited:

Jlop_2

Lil-Rokslider
Base: merino 150 smart wool
Mid: Kuiu pro merino hoodie 200
Puffy: mammut broad peak
Rain: arcteryx zeta

Chanimal

FNG
A few of my favorites:

Baselayer: First Lite Wick Hoody / Sitka core Light weight hoody
Midlayer: Kuiu Peloton 240
Puffy: Arcteryx Atom Lt Hoody, Kifaru LPP (I know you mentioned down but my favorites have been synthetic)
Rain: Kryptek Takur Jacket (Disclaimer: I like the fit and function, I haven't tested it much)

OP
Bowhunter50
Wanted to thank everyone for the responses! This is great feedback and consistent with what I was thinking. Here are my thoughts as far as selection goes:

Merino Hoody Base Layer: First Lite Wick Hoody or Kuiu 145 Hoody. I'm leaning towards the first lite since it has a higher synthetic content and would likely dry faster, however, I'm not a fan of spandex (I know only 2%) and I would like to see a quarter zip. The quarter zip alone might be a deal killer for me

Hooded Fleece Mid Layer: Stone Glacier Helio or Kuiu Peleton 240. Leaning towards the Peloton 240. It has more features (ie full zip, hand pockets, and windblocking) and has zero spandex. However, it is a little heavier at 16.3 ounces for a large vs. 14.5 ounces for a large in the stone glacier. At only 1.8 ounces heavier, I think the Peloton wins here.

Down Hooded Puffy: Stone Glacier Grumman. 11.8 ounces with 5.3 ounces of 850+ fill. Main con to me would be the color - looks a little shiny, but nowhere near a deal killer. I think my movement at the wrong moment is way more likely to spook game than the slight sheen on this jacket. Also I'm a little concerned about durability, but this isn't going to be a brush busting piece and heavier duty fabric would obviously make it heavier...

Hard Shell: Sitka Dewpoint. 12.5 ounces for a large. Has it all, pit zips, hand pockets, supposed to be highly breathable, also no extra features that I don't need. I tried one on the other day and it fit perfect. Had the perfect amount of room to fit the stone glacier grumman underneath. Wasn't overly baggy like some high-end rain gear I've used. Really like the pyrite color.

Open to any input or additional feedback on these items or new suggestions I haven't thought of! Can you tell I'm a numbers guy? haha

Edit: only getting one mid layer - either the stone glacier helio or peloton 240. Also open to new suggestions on this piece

Last edited:

Jake_B

Lil-Rokslider
Base: kuiu peloton 97
Midlayer : kuiu kenai
Outerlayer : Sitka jetstream or first lite Woodbury depending on temps
Rain : first lite seak

Base: Smartwool 150
Mid: Patagonia R1
Rain: OR Helium - it doesn’t rain much in the West, may as well go light since it will likely stay in your pack. Breathability also doesn’t matter to me for that reason, when it does need to come out it’s coming off and going back in the pack in the near future.
Insulation: North Face Ventrix - I also much prefer synthetic to down. Down is too fragile (and leaky) and expensive. The gap in compressibility and weight has closed a lot as well.
Down: MH Ghost Whisperer

Clothes are so personal, get whatever fits. Pick what will make the most sense for 95% of your use, not for a frozen, stormy theoretical trip in Wyoming that may never happen.

I would also add I don’t see the point in having a hood on everything. My only hooded piece is my rain jacket.

Last edited:
I have done the same. I switched to solid color pants and still run a mix of camos and solids for the top. While not necessary at all I do feel more comfortable in some archery situations with a camo top on. That being said here’s my picks:

base: first lite wick t-shirt

Mid: Sitka fanatic hoody or first lite kiln

For the puffy I use synthetics so I couldn’t give you a helpful opinion on what you want. However over my mid layer I run a kuiu peloton 240 hoody (one size larger than I normally wear) and seldom find myself needing my puffy here in SE Idaho. More often than not I just throw on my rain jacket if I need a little extra.

rain gear: kuiu kutana rain jacket. With kuiu jackets I’ve found I need to wear a size larger because their torsos and sleeves are always short on my and expose skin when I move around. The result is I have to use a size up. They tend to be a little baggy because but I’ve found it worth it to me for the 2 kuiu jackets I still use. To me, they are better than anything else I’ve found in their particular classes.

I would like to switch to one layering system for everything. Somehow I’ve ended up with several different baselayers for different scenarios and different rain jackets mid layers, etc. I don't think this has really benefited me and I'm looking to simplify things and clean out my gear closet. I would like to pick one baselayer, one fleece mid layer, one puffy and one rain jacket to do it all August – November out west. States I apply for are Utah, Nevada, Colorado and Wyoming. Mainly hunt deer and elk with bow and rifle and only do 2-3 hunts per year.

I’ve been loyal to one brand for several years now and I would like to go all solids and stop picking an item because brand x sells it and I’m tied to a camo pattern. I would also like to use these clothes for more than hunting. I don't wear camo clothes when I'm in town, hiking or camping...

I have a few pieces in mind, however, I wanted to get everyone’s opinion without my ideas providing a starting point. Wanting to leave this fairly open ended with a little criteria below

• Baselayer: I would like to use a merino blend of some sorts. I sweat a lot and as a result stink out pure synthetics quick. I also want a blend for quicker drying and increased durability. Looking for a hooded baselayer since I do a lot of early archery high alpine mule deer hunting and need the sun protection
  • Mid layer: Looking for a mid weight fleece with a hood. Doesn’t need pockets or anything fancy. A good ¾ or ½ zip that’s quick drying, again because I sweat a lot. Would also like some durability in this piece. One that isn’t susceptible to piling. Would like to keep this piece under 15 ounces in a size large
  • Puffy: Looking for down here. Just prefer the weight and compressibility of down. I would like treated down. Not planning on busting brush with this on but would like reasonable durability. Decent fill power and a decent amount of fill. Needs a hood
  • Rain jacket: Looking for something reasonably durable with hand pockets (I don’t need a chest pocket). Decent breathability and pit zips. Looking for something packable. I don’t need the same level of packability as cabelas space rain gear though.
I’m an ounce counter since I do a lot of backpack hunts. So looking for something that is a good balance of lightweight and durability. I want solid colors in earth tones – grays, greens and browns. I like hoods on all my top layers.

I already have my pants and bottom layers figured out. I’m mainly looking for input on the top layers.

Basically what’s your favorite piece in each of the four categories irrespective of brand. Thanks!

I’ve been running all FL simply in an effort to see what they offer, then I’ll move on to something else. I wear the merino wick base layers, the catalyst jacket as a hooded fleece, the puffy down sweater, and the seak storm tight jacket. They’re all great products don’t get me wrong. However when compared to buddies who run stone glacier, kuiu, and Sitka, I’d say FL is the odd man out. Not to mention they may be the most expensive after Sitka. It seems as though some of their designs are over-complicated in an effort to be “cutting edge”. I’d go with any of those other 3 brands

j33

WKR
Wanted to thank everyone for the responses! This is great feedback and consistent with what I was thinking. Here are my thoughts as far as selection goes:

Merino Hoody Base Layer: First Lite Wick Hoody or Kuiu 145 Hoody. I'm leaning towards the first lite since it has a higher synthetic content and would likely dry faster, however, I'm not a fan of spandex (I know only 2%) and I would like to see a quarter zip. The quarter zip alone might be a deal killer for me

Hooded Fleece Mid Layer: Stone Glacier Helio and Kuiu Peleton 240. Leaning towards the Peloton 240. It has more features (ie full zip, hand pockets, and windblocking) and has zero spandex. However, it is a little heavier at 16.3 ounces for a large vs. 14.5 ounces for a large in the stone glacier. At only 1.8 ounces heavier, I think the Peloton wins here.

Down Hooded Puffy: Stone Glacier Grumman. 11.8 ounces with 5.3 ounces of 850+ fill. Main con to me would be the color - looks a little shiny, but nowhere near a deal killer. I think my movement at the wrong moment is way more likely to spook game than the slight sheen on this jacket. Also I'm a little concerned about durability, but this isn't going to be a brush busting piece and heavier duty fabric would obviously make it heavier...

Hard Shell: Sitka Dewpoint. 12.5 ounces for a large. Has it all, pit zips, hand pockets, supposed to be highly breathable, also no extra features that I don't need. I tried one on the other day and it fit perfect. Had the perfect amount of room to fit the stone glacier grumman underneath. Wasn't overly baggy like some high-end rain gear I've used. Really like the pyrite color.

Open to any input or additional feedback on these items or new suggestions I haven't thought of! Can you tell I'm a numbers guy? haha

Those are solid choices.

After a year my bet is you will tweak the mid layer choices.

Hooded Fleece Mid Layer: Stone Glacier Helio and Kuiu Peleton 240. Leaning towards the Peloton 240. It has more features (ie full zip, hand pockets, and windblocking) and has zero spandex. However, it is a little heavier at 16.3 ounces for a large vs. 14.5 ounces for a large in the stone glacier. At only 1.8 ounces heavier, I think the Peloton wins here.

I think that’s a killer line up. I would add a merino t-shirt to the line up like the first lite wick if you’re starting your season in august. Chasing mulies in august and early September elk I’ve found the wick hoody to be a little much on those 85+ degree days.

OP
Bowhunter50
Base: Smartwool 150
Mid: Patagonia R1
Rain: OR Helium - it doesn’t rain much in the West, may as well go light since it will likely stay in your pack. Breathability also doesn’t matter to me for that reason, when it does need to come out it’s coming off and going back in the pack in the near future.
Insulation: North Face Ventrix - I also much prefer synthetic to down. Down is too fragile (and leaky) and expensive. The gap in compressibility and weight has closed a lot as well.
Down: MH Ghost Whisperer

Clothes are so personal, get whatever fits. Pick what will make the most sense for 95% of your use, not for a frozen, stormy theoretical trip in Wyoming that may never happen.

I would also add I don’t see the point in having a hood on everything. My only hooded piece is my rain jacket.
Thanks for the input. I'm definitely keeping in mind planning for 95% of my use rather than the what if I draw this tag or do this hunt someday syndrome. If I draw that tag or do some hunt then I'll cross that bridge when I come to it

As far as hoods go, I like a hood on my baselayer for early season hunts where I need sun protection and I don't like wearing beanies so I like having a hood on my fleece and puffy. I get that a lot of guys wouldn't like that many hoods, it's just what seems to work for me

OP
Bowhunter50
Those are solid choices.

After a year my bet is you will tweak the mid layer choices.
Thanks for the input. What mid layer would you suggest? The mid layer is the one piece I'm definitely not sure about. I would appreciate any additional suggestions there. Also I said stone glacier helio "and" kuiu peleton 240. I'm really only looking at getting one of those pieces. I should have said "or". I'll see if I can correct that with a quick edit...
I think that’s a killer line up. I would add a merino t-shirt to the line up like the first lite wick if you’re starting your season in august. Chasing mulies in august and early September elk I’ve found the wick hoody to be a little much on those 85+ degree days.
Thanks. I haven't mentioned it in this thread, but I definitely appreciate a short sleeve shirt for the long pack in. Nice to not soak my hoody base layer right from the start.

Thanks for the input. What mid layer would you suggest? The mid layer is the one piece I'm definitely not sure about. I would appreciate any additional suggestions there. Also I said stone glacier helio "and" kuiu peleton 240. I'm really only looking at getting one of those pieces. I should have said "or". I'll see if I can correct that with a quick edit...

Thanks. I haven't mentioned it in this thread, but I definitely appreciate a short sleeve shirt for the long pack in. Nice to not soak my hoody base layer right from the start.
For sure

aaron14

Lil-Rokslider
Base: First Lite Wick
Fleece: First Lite Klamath or Sitka Core Heavyweight Hoody
Puffy: Stone Glacier Grumman or Sitka Kelvin Lite Down
Rain Shell: Sitka Dewpoint

I bounce between the First Lite Wick and Sitka Core Lightweight, but gravitate more to merino for extended hunts that aren't expecting a lot of rain. Some hunts (usually above treeline) I won't bring a fleece and just have my Sitka Timberline Jacket as a second layer since it's relatively light weight and windproof. I also personally use the First Lite Uncompahgre 2.0 more as my puffy because I hunt a lot in areas that get rain, and then when temps really drop bring out the Chamberlain Down, but if I was going for just one all around down option, the Grumman or Kelvin Lite Down would be my choice.