Clothing - elk newbie

Been hunting my whole life. But pretty much whitetail/stand hunting here in TX.

Finally venturing out and going on an elk hunt this year with my dad before he can’t partake on such a trip.

Going with an outfitter in MT, last week of rifle Nov 15-20.

This might be my only rifle elk hunt. I’m a pretty dedicated Bowhunter and will probably only target them with a bow after this hunt (my dad doesn’t bow hunt).

I have read TONS of threads on here. Great information. But want to share my specific scenario and get some recommendations:

Need to be able to stay warm for this late season rifle hunt. Will be with an outfitter. Private land. Nice lodge. Can wash clothes every night. Dry boots, etc. Will drive in through some roads on the ranches. Then hike up to glass. Probably a few miles a day. But don’t expect 10-20 miles a day.

But… in the future I will be grabbing the bow. And possibly backpack camping/hunting in warmer weather (compared to late season)

So my biggest debate is if I go with Merino or Synthetic base layers. I know Merino can feel warm when wet, I just don’t want that drooping, heavy shirt feeling when wet. I lean towards synthetic but also know they can get ripe. Don’t care for the sake of the elk (they smell you anyway), but just don’t prefer to stink for a week.

For pants I’m think FL Corrugate Foundry. I like that I can vent them and they have tall sizes. (Need a 35” or 36” inseam typically). Do I need a mid layer on my legs? Winter MT?

For my top, I’ll have a base layer, mid layer (maybe a grid fleece?) and an decent DWR jacket like the KUIU guide. May buy an Eddie Bauer puffy to pack. Any other advice?

I have plenty of lighter weight pants already. And am assuming I can just rock a base layer and maybe a hoody for bow season.

Do y’all wear base layer leggings even in warm weather? Why not just a pair of light pants?

Pretty straight on boots. Eyeing the Crispi Nevada.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wapitibob

WKR
I use a packable rain jacket, it’ll act as a wind barrier over your other layers and can really help keep you warm when sitting. I got mine at Costco, 32 degree brand. I bought a bottom base layer at Walmart a few years ago, cheap and works well when I wear them.

ILIKEBEARS

Lil-Rokslider
There’s some great threads on building a layering system. Dig around and you’ll find some basic information on a 4 piece upper/ lower system that many experienced people go with.
I’ve been very happy with a merino base layer, grid fleece hoodie, down puffy jacket, and a rain shell. Softshells are cool if you aren’t backpack hunting or hiking a lot, but most backpack hunters don’t feel they belong in a clothing system. They just aren’t as good at any one thing as more specific clothing pieces can be. You should already have the other gear pieces to stay warm, dry, cut wind, manage moisture, etc.

On my bottom half I use a merino base layer (zip off longjohns from firstlite), Softshell style pants (prana Zion, or firstlite corrugate pants), puffy zip off pants (firstlite uncompagre), and rain shell pants.

This four piece kit will cover you in many conditions and environments. You should learn to only take the gear you will need for each climate and hunt. You don’t need the rain pants in a warm dry climate, you don’t need puffy pants until temps start to get frigid. Also, keep in mind the weight of your base layer material. I swap out my 150 weight base layers for a 250 or 300 weight base layer when I get into the later season. For your Montana November hunt, I would pack my thicker baselayers.

I try to pack only the essentials, enough to keep from getting cold or uncomfortable. The more appropriate your clothing choices are for your hunt the less gear you have to manage.

This video of John Barklow really helps break it down.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Being able to wash and dry clothes every day on this hunt means all options are in the table.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

OP
afishinman14
Being able to wash and dry clothes every day on this hunt means all options are in the table.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Right, I realize that. But I’m not going to spend $1000 on clothes right now then another $1k when I go on the future bow hunts. I want some components, mainly base layers, that will apply to both styles.

I hear y’all saying to wear heavier base layers for this hunt. Makes sense. But odds are I won’t wear those in September with a bow. Can I wear a light base layer in Nov/MT like a Sitka Core LW?

And for leggings, I’m just tentative to wear a heavier set - scared that I’ll sweat when hiking. Even in the cold. Any good advice or experience on that?

neil.hansford

Lil-Rokslider
Yes, you can wear lighter base layers all year. Don't buy a heavier set just for one hunt. You can make that up with the puffy coat. As far as your legs, a thin base layer will also do. I wear over the calf socks and longer boxer briefs for hunting, so you essentially have most of your legs covered with that, plus a light base layer, plus your pants. I've never needed puffy pants.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

ILIKEBEARS

Lil-Rokslider
Neil is right, you can compensate with a warmer puffy insulation layer, I just enjoy having a thicker 250 weight base layer with a zipper all the way down to my chest to dump heat. Its more comfortable in cold weather to get that bit of warm fuzz against your skin.

A trick I learned was if you need heavyweight base layers, buy a set of lightweight and mid weight base layers for early and mid season, then combine them in later season hunts. If your goal is to have a single set of base layers for all hunts, you can achieve that by stepping up the insulation of your second or third layer, but that requires buying a different or beefier fleece or down piece. Maybe both if the temps demand it.

As for leggings, don’t go too thick for active hunts. 150 or 250 weight at the most. Getting sweated up and wet is what leads to hypothermia late season. Consider getting pants that have the ability to zip open and vent some heat like the SG De Havilland pants, FL Corrugate Foundry, OR softshells, etc.

OP
afishinman14
Yes, you can wear lighter base layers all year. Don't buy a heavier set just for one hunt. You can make that up with the puffy coat. As far as your legs, a thin base layer will also do. I wear over the calf socks and longer boxer briefs for hunting, so you essentially have most of your legs covered with that, plus a light base layer, plus your pants. I've never needed puffy pants.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Excellent insight. Exactly what I was looking for. Thank you.

The_Jim

Lil-Rokslider
I think if your going to invest any money in clothing for this trip I would do base layers and a puffy coat/pants. Everything else you have will likely work just fine. I would prioritize the puffy setup for this hunt since you can easily dry clothes at night and it will be cold.

For base layers I wear a merino shirt and underwear when it’s warmer out. It’s not as much about performance as it is about stink. Synthetic base layers seem to perform better for me in all temps. I always wear synthetic bottoms and if it’s cold I wear a synthetic top because they dry out so quickly.

I am always cold so no matter what I’m doing I bring puffy pants and jackets. Spring, Summer, fall, and winter. It’s not that much weight and if you get cold easy you will always appreciate having them.

Hope that’s helpful and good luck!

I used FL corrugate foundry coupled with FL kiln boot top bottoms for CO archery last year. This setup was perfect for me as I get cold easy but able to easily monitor temps with the corrugate hip zips. Temps can feel much cooler than expected with a slight breeze under the canopy at 10k+ even in mid to late September.

Personally, I use merino baselayers when I’m hunting from the house/lodge and synthetic when I’m backpack hunting. I know this is kind of counterintuitive to a lot of peoples strategy, but while merino does retain some warmth when wet, it takes MUCH longer than synthetic to dry out. So I can dry merino at night in toasty home or cabin, and if I’m sleeping in the backcountry my synthetic usually dries before I go to bed and if not, it will inside my sleeping bag. Ive had great luck with Sitka core lightweight hoody. Dries incredibly fast and I dont think the funk factor is that big of a deal with it. Whatever treatment they put on it does a great job of mitigating stink.

Ralphie

WKR
I hunt in Wyoming every year in November. I don’t have anywhere close to 1000 in my clothes. There are lots of threads on here with way less expensive options Than what the tv heros think you need.

Fleece lined wrangler pants for $26 as one example. If you never wear them again…oh well?

ccarter

FNG
I'm a Texan too, and would suggest that you don't overthink it. My experience is that even though the ambient temperature in the mountains may be 20 degrees colder than we're used to, the real feel isn't like it is at home. The humidity and north winds associated with our cold snaps always feel really cold while you're out in it.
All that said, having a windPROOF (not wind resistant like most soft shells) layer is crucial. In most cases, I just use a light rain jacket sized big enough to fit over anything. While you're moving- especially uphill, you'll be surprised at how little clothing it takes to stay warm. But when you stop, a thick, lofty puffy with that windproof layer is key. Any synthetic or wool base with a light fleece will cover you while you're moving. It's when you stop to glass that you'll feel like you can't get warm. So a good, warm, thick (think at least 5 oz. of down or synthetic equivalent fill) is what you'll want. This is where you'll start paying for ounce savings. How much that matters to you is up to your budget and how much you're worried about a heavy pack.

My legs generally don't feel as cold, so I rarely use more than a mid weight pant like the Kuiu Attacks with a light or midnight base. I put rain gear over them to glass if it's really cold or windy.

Don't get caught up in $90 base layers- they don't keep you that warm- their purpose is to just move the sweat away from your skin. any under armor or nike dri-fit can do that.

Best of luck, and enjoy your trip with your dad.

OP
afishinman14
Man that’s some great insight. Thanks CCarter.

Was just going to bring some spacious FrogToggs for wind/rain.

Might invest a little more in a puffy.

I’m set on most the other stuff. Got some decent base layers. And a few midweight pants with hip vents.

ccarter

FNG
I think you'll be fine. Get a good beanie to keep your head warm. Sometimes if it's really cold, it's worth wearing the beanie and liner gloves as you start hiking with just a base and light fleece. As you heat up, take off your beanie to let some heat out. same with the gloves. as you cool off, put it back on.

The Frog Toggs would work, just don't wear it moving- the brush will probably shred it.

Good liner socks (I like 1/4 height running socks by Feetures) and good wool socks- Darn Tough are good, lots of others from cabala's, Rei, etc. are good too. Two layers helps with blisters on the inclines, and helps with warmth. I also wear the Crispi Nevadas and really like them. Mine are uninsulated for weight and bulk savings, but either works. I find that my feet end up cold no matter what, so I'd rather have light, cold feet instead of heavy cold feet ;-)

Have a blast up there. Careful though. Once you go, you'll be hooked.

FNG
Check out Wiggys liner vest, liner jacket, socks and fishnets, especially if you are active.

mckee11

FNG
Been hunting my whole life. But pretty much whitetail/stand hunting here in TX.

Finally venturing out and going on an elk hunt this year with my dad before he can’t partake on such a trip.

Going with an outfitter in MT, last week of rifle Nov 15-20.

This might be my only rifle elk hunt. I’m a pretty dedicated Bowhunter and will probably only target them with a bow after this hunt (my dad doesn’t bow hunt).

I have read TONS of threads on here. Great information. But want to share my specific scenario and get some recommendations:

Need to be able to stay warm for this late season rifle hunt. Will be with an outfitter. Private land. Nice lodge. Can wash clothes every night. Dry boots, etc. Will drive in through some roads on the ranches. Then hike up to glass. Probably a few miles a day. But don’t expect 10-20 miles a day.

But… in the future I will be grabbing the bow. And possibly backpack camping/hunting in warmer weather (compared to late season)

So my biggest debate is if I go with Merino or Synthetic base layers. I know Merino can feel warm when wet, I just don’t want that drooping, heavy shirt feeling when wet. I lean towards synthetic but also know they can get ripe. Don’t care for the sake of the elk (they smell you anyway), but just don’t prefer to stink for a week.

For pants I’m think FL Corrugate Foundry. I like that I can vent them and they have tall sizes. (Need a 35” or 36” inseam typically). Do I need a mid layer on my legs? Winter MT?

For my top, I’ll have a base layer, mid layer (maybe a grid fleece?) and an decent DWR jacket like the KUIU guide. May buy an Eddie Bauer puffy to pack. Any other advice?

I have plenty of lighter weight pants already. And am assuming I can just rock a base layer and maybe a hoody for bow season.

Do y’all wear base layer leggings even in warm weather? Why not just a pair of light pants?

Pretty straight on boots. Eyeing the Crispi Nevada.

Merino base layer is a must

FNG
Merino base layer is a must
Anything directly against your skin will condensate your sweat and anything holding moisture will give you chills. Especially if you go from high activity to stationary activity.