General Fitness Preparation vs CrossFit

wyodan

WKR
OR why not CrossFit two days and get your endurance the other 5 :D
Either or. My experience with crossfitters is that they all think you need to only CrossFit. I’m not at their gym to become the best at exercising, I’m there to get better for the things I like to do. That bugs them. I do enjoy competitive exercising though.

JohnDough

FNG
I decided CrossFit was not for me when I realized I out performed CrossFiters randomly doing workouts with them in the military. At the time I ran and all my strength training was push-ups, pull-ups, dips, and crunches/flutter kicks. I found it interesting and concluded that CrossFit must not actually training people well if I was able to out do them at their own game.

I think gyms are over rated, unless you specifically want to increase lift weight or muscle bulk. But for moving your own body, just use your body and keep it simple.
That isn't a good matrix. I just started CF again after taking 8 years off from it, and I perform very near the top or at the top at my gym for lifts...but I do not typically even rank hardly on the WOD's. That said, you are right about mobility, calisthenics is legit.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
That isn't a good matrix. I just started CF again after taking 8 years off from it, and I perform very near the top or at the top at my gym for lifts...but I do not typically even rank hardly on the WOD's. That said, you are right about mobility, calisthenics is legit.
These were WOD type workouts I believe (don't know enough to be sure).

In the end, moving of any kind is better than not moving, so people should do what they find motivating and keeps them moving.

Watrdawg

Lil-Rokslider
I did regular gym strength workouts for most of my life, I'm 60 now, I always thought I was in pretty good shape. When I was younger I could run 6 minute miles forever it seemed. Then I started doing Crossfit about 8 years ago and quickly realized that, at least aerobically, I was nowhere near being in shape. It took me at least 6 months of doing Crossfit to get to a point where I could get through a WOD and have to have someone drag me to the truck to get home. Regardless, Crossfit is not the end all be all. I still do both a regular strength workout plus Crossfit. On top of that I also ruck with a weighted vest and ride my Mtn. Bike. I think it's better to maintain a general all around high fitness level and then when need be specialize for whatever you may need to. Being one dimensional isn't a good thing.