Gels when running

WoodBow

WKR
Getting more and more into distance running. Generally doing 6 miles. Would like to continue to increase distance. I tend to bonk at about the start of mile 5. Could certainly be that that is simply where my current endurance starts to run out, but I'm curious if that gels, or something similar, would help me with this slow down.

What kind of interval is common to consume something?

What works well for yall?

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Following, im just in the begiining stages of taking dostance running more “seriously” and interested in any tips that pop up

I could add for you im
Coming off a few broken vertabraes and couldnt do anything what so ever for 3 months. Ive always had a decent base for running but never followed any program. Id just run 3-5 miles and sometimes further.
After my injury i started running in march i think and my forst mile i ran was kind of hard and at a 10 minute pace. I kept doing short 1-3 mile runs and then in mid alril started following a marathon program and the build up has been great. Somebody that actually knows what there doing wrote it out to a begginer/first timer level. Im a little over half way and just finished 15 miles and felt great.
My game changer was using a running vest with the two bottles or bladder. I bought a salomon active skin 4 with 2 bottles for about $75. Thats been my biggest changer. Also gel packs were a help For longer runs. Id also say understanding what a proper pace is also huge. Thats what ive discovered so far.

CoStick

WKR
I use hammer nutrition gels for longer runs. For under 3 miles I don’t take water. If over I have a light Solomon hydration pack. I don’t like to carry things in my hands.

OP
WoodBow

WoodBow

WKR
I am not currently taking any hydration with me. Could be a contributing factor as I live in Texas and we are currently 105 highs. I try to roll out the door at 730 pm when the sun isn't far from setting. Temps in the low 90s by then but it is manageable.

I do make sure I am hydrated before I head out. I tend to notice my mouth being dry by about the 3 or 4 mile mark. I can't do the running vest water bottle holder thing yet. It's too uncool, lol. I'd be fine with a bladder on my back as long as it stays put. I've done several 5 mile runs with 10 lbs of frozen water bags in a plate carrier vest, so not too worried about the additional weight.

I'm running with a very minimalist fanny pack with just enough room for phone and tp in the main pocket. I've seen a few that have a horizontal water bottle sleeve that look like they function pretty slick.

In my experience the body can adapt quickly to avoid bonking, which is when your body has exhausted its readily available blood sugar. Then your body has to replace that with either sugar from recently eaten food or converting fat to blood sugar. Eating food (such as gels) while training can be a crutch that prevents your body from drawing on fat for energy.

I’ve done up to 3 hour (23 mile) training runs with no food or water without bonking by doing each run early in the morning on a completely empty stomach. Then the body is already in the mode of converting fat to blood sugar. I think this has trained my body to rapidly convert fat to keep the blood sugar levels topped up.

When I race I’m trying to maximize the blood sugar from fat plus blood sugar from food so I eat about 100 to 150 calories every 45 minutes. I do a few 3 hour+ training runs with gels to make sure they get along with my stomach before the race. My last race was a trail 50 miler in 8hrs 15 min and I didn’t bonk at all.

All this only applies for efforts over 90-120 minutes because anyone has that much worth of blood sugar already available. If something is happening before that it’s probably not bonking. Might be lactic acid accumulation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
WoodBow

WoodBow

WKR
In my experience the body can adapt quickly to avoid bonking, which is when your body has exhausted its readily available blood sugar. Then your body has to replace that with either sugar from recently eaten food or converting fat to blood sugar. Eating food (such as gels) while training can be a crutch that prevents your body from drawing on fat for energy.

I’ve done up to 3 hour (23 mile) training runs with no food or water without bonking by doing each run early in the morning on a completely empty stomach. Then the body is already in the mode of converting fat to blood sugar. I think this has trained my body to rapidly convert fat to keep the blood sugar levels topped up.

When I race I’m trying to maximize the blood sugar from fat plus blood sugar from food so I eat about 100 to 150 calories every 45 minutes. I do a few 3 hour+ training runs with gels to make sure they get along with my stomach before the race. My last race was a trail 50 miler in 8hrs 15 min and I didn’t bonk at all.

All this only applies for efforts over 90-120 minutes because anyone has that much worth of blood sugar already available. If something is happening before that it’s probably not bonking. Might be lactic acid accumulation.

I like what you are saying. And I may be using the term bonking incorrectly. I am using it as simply running out of gas/hitting a wall. First 4 miles feel quite good. Last 2 feel like no fun at all. Like I said, maybe it is only the result of my current endurance. I should also say that this mainly happens when I am trying to push the pace. I can do a 6.5 mile run at about a minute or so slower mile pace and still feel pretty decent finishing.

I love the idea of not relying on some consumable product.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I’m former long distance runner and current long distance hiker :)

I took me quite a long while to fine tune my calories and water running.

I found at distances under 6-8 miles, I could do fine w/o any calories; water was dependent on the temps.

I used gels for awhile, they didn’t agree with my stomach too well. Ditto on liquid (mix with water) calories. I found I did a lot better with “real” food- fig newtons near the top :D

For me calories at roughly every 30 minutes worked the best (again at distances >6-8 miles). As the distances became longer, I had to sometime really force myself to eat. Stomach distress is a common cause of folks dropping from long races.

I recommend experimenting with different calories and different intervals, to find what best works for you. With the knowledge it’s going to take awhile.

Lawnboi

WKR
Hammer Montana huckleberry…. Like crack.

Usually the 1.5 hour mark is where I needed fuel, not a distance runner but for mountain biking.

BDRam16

WKR
I really like the Honey Stinger brand. But the key for me is 6 Albanese gummy bears every mile. It’s about 60 calories and 14 grams of carbs which is almost exactly half of the gels. I’m able to hold my pace a lot better and I feel better having a constant small intake vs waiting until I feel like I need it and then it’s too late. When I was doing long distances I would do that with a gel at maybe mile 4-5 and repeat.

Brendan

WKR
I've been doing a lot of research on this (and experimenting) as I'm getting into marathon distance mountain bike races with a goal of racing Leadville in 2023. Also, probably why I haven't been hanging out here as much, although I do have a MT trip I need to start thinking about.

I'd always been more of a lower carb person in my general life, but I've 100% realized fueling my workouts with carbs is leading to better performance, better improvement, better recovery, and I don't feel like stuffing my face for the rest of the day. If I do an easy Zone 2 / Endurance ride for 60-90 minutes I might do that fasted, but everything else now gets fueled. If upping your performance is what you're looking for, I'd start with a gel to start and then every 30 minutes.

Hydration is important too, I do roughly 1000mg sodium per bottle on the bike. If you're not carrying anything with you when you run, consider sodium intake before you leave too, it'll help you not just feel like you have to immediately piss out the water you just drank.

Most of you are going to think I'm crazy, but I'm taking in 120g of carbs (50/50 glucose/fructose) per hour on anything that isn't an easy ride (Running would have to be less - easier on a bike). You have to train your gut to take in carbs, and the body can only absorb 60g of glucose per hour so you have to be cognizant of what you're eating so it doesn't start causing you issues.

WKR
I'm not a distance runner so what I'm about to say is from observation, not experience.

What do professional triathletes use as a "go-to" for an immediate boost during a race? Coke. No, not that coke. Coca-cola. It's a shot of sugar and a shot of caffeine. However, I think it's a race day thing, not a short training run thing.

OP
WoodBow

WoodBow

WKR
I really like the Honey Stinger brand. But the key for me is 6 Albanese gummy bears every mile. It’s about 60 calories and 14 grams of carbs which is almost exactly half of the gels. I’m able to hold my pace a lot better and I feel better having a constant small intake vs waiting until I feel like I need it and then it’s too late. When I was doing long distances I would do that with a gel at maybe mile 4-5 and repeat.
I'm on the gummy bear train for sure. A small handful before hand improves all my workouts. I'm haribo currently. Albanese any softer? I'm afraid I'd suffocate while trying to chew haribo while running.

It may be your endurance level. I used to run a lot of 10ks, half marathons and a few marathons. I feel like I never caught my stride until like 6-8 miles. Basically, it was hard work the first miles until I started to feel rubber legged. Additionally, I found out that if I stopped to hydrate or rest, my body dod not like it, I would always cramp up. I’ve used the gels on hunts, long hikes, and have never noticed an advantage.

TxxAgg

WKR
I like what you are saying. And I may be using the term bonking incorrectly. I am using it as simply running out of gas/hitting a wall. First 4 miles feel quite good. Last 2 feel like no fun at all. Like I said, maybe it is only the result of my current endurance. I should also say that this mainly happens when I am trying to push the pace. I can do a 6.5 mile run at about a minute or so slower mile pace and still feel pretty decent finishing.

I love the idea of not relying on some consumable product.

Are you monitoring your heart rate? That was a game changer for me. Read up on keeping in an aerobic zone. You'll run a little slower but can run much farther.

BDRam16

WKR
I'm on the gummy bear train for sure. A small handful before hand improves all my workouts. I'm haribo currently. Albanese any softer? I'm afraid I'd suffocate while trying to chew haribo while running.

Oh ya man. Haribo are trash compared to Albanese lol. I can’t chew those Haribo ones without feeling like my teeth are going to chip.

Owens

Lil-Rokslider
I'm not sure what your pace is or what type of terrain you are on, but for 6 miles you likely don't need calories. I am assuming around an hour give or take, your body should be able to handle that. I don't start taking in calories until I'm getting longer than 2.5 - 3 hours.

My suggestion would be to do most of your runs like this:
I can do a 6.5 mile run at about a minute or so slower mile pace and still feel pretty decent finishing.
And only one or maybe two a week like this:
I should also say that this mainly happens when I am trying to push the pace.
You would also likely see improvement by keeping the harder paced runs shorter and then mixing in mid-length runs at an easier pace and one longer run (at potentially even easier pace). Define shorter and longer based on your current fitness.

OP
WoodBow

WoodBow

WKR
Are you monitoring your heart rate? That was a game changer for me. Read up on keeping in an aerobic zone. You'll run a little slower but can run much farther.
I am via my garmin watch but no way it is accurate. It is saying average on run is 176.

Thanks for all the input guys.

I can do a 6.5 mile run at about a minute or so slower mile pace and still feel pretty decent finishing. [/QUOTE]

Here’s the pace you should be running.

I have recently gotten into long distance running myself and this is something I have been experimenting with.

For me, any run less than an hour, I don’t need any calories. That’s around 7 miles. I find that I start “hitting a wall” at around 80-90 minute range. I carry some GU gels with me. At the one hour mark, I suck one of those things down. And then I do another every 45 min after that. It really helps getting some calories in you. I’ve noticed a big difference in my runs. First time I ever used the gels was on a 12 mile run and when I finished I felt great.

It’s a experiment. Figuring out what works for you. Hardest part for me is staying hydrated. I’m a heavy sweater and I live in the South. I’ve weighed myself before and after runs and on long (10+ miles) I’ll lose 6-7lbs.