Gator hunt

Since Wyoming got all jacked up I decided I’m not gonna sit home this fall.
Im going get a bucket list item checked off and go kill a gator.
I have a guide in my mind, Florida, and have spoke with them on the phone. He’s been doing it for 30 years, 3rd generation, no kill no pay. Him and wife sound like straight forward, nice people.
So, a couple questions for those that know.
Is the tail and jowl meat the only worth saving?
Best way to cook?
What can I expect to pay for processing?
Do y’all clean the skull for display?
I’m not going to mount the critter.
I may have a portion of the hide tanned. Not sure what I’ll do with it though. Just hate wasting parts of an animal.
Appreciate any input.

Prices seem to be by the foot and can get pricey for just some tail meat.
If you have reputable outfit that’s full service and reasonable, post away, please.

Last edited:

stump06

WKR
Im sure Florida will have a processor somewhere close, I can't say on prices though. You can take the skull to a taxidermist and have them clean it. If you do decide to skin it yourself just be sure to get all the fat off of the meat. Its not good and will not keep in the freezer. I always cut mine up into small pieces for frying.

Good luck!

Tan the hide for sure, many things to make out of it - belt, boots, bow backing, purse etc.

my bro in law shot one and we ate the meat in “Gator Balls” sort of like a fried crab cake, very good. The meat is white and more like fish than red meat

OP
Buckshot85
Tan the hide for sure, many things to make out of it - belt, boots, bow backing, purse etc.

my bro in law shot one and we ate the meat in “Gator Balls” sort of like a fried crab cake, very good. The meat is white and more like fish than red meat
All of the meat or just the tail?

Jacack

WKR
Tan The hide, keep the skull . Eat the tail. There are other edible parts like legs and neck but the tail is the best.

I have killed a few and eaten a bunch, gator cakes, like above said similar to crab cake or just breaded and fried.

Like alot of things the big ones don't eat as good. 6- 8ft is right about where you want to eat them in my opinion.

OP
Buckshot85
Yeah, I’m looking for 8-9’.
Im not paying what anyone wants for a bigger gator. I’m not a trophy hunter. I just love the different experiences.

FLAK

WKR
Think I'm gonna get back in the AL. draw this year. Havent drawn ANY tags elsewhere.
But I dont want a monster gator,,,,,,got a small boat!!

Did a trip last year for them. Mostly agree with everything above.

Skulls definitely worth keeping. The family was so-so with the meat. We ate it by grinding it and remaking it into nuggets. Was decent.

Had the hide tanned but am still waiting to figure out a use for it. The big gators have big scales, which make a nice look for boots and such. Half the fun right now is having the hide rolled up, then unrolling it if people ask about it.

I went through Gator Country Outfitters and Trappers in Ocala and had a great experience.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Im not paying what anyone wants for a bigger gator. I’m not a trophy hunter. I just love the different experiences.
Ball park what's that cost?
I have a bunch of points for South Carolina alligator but trying to decide if i want to pay $800 for the guide or not.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

I’ve been trying to convince the wife we should do this. Spend a couple days hunting gators and couple days on a beach! Then I can get some new boots made up..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

doakes

FNG
Mississippi has some good ones but it is resident only draw.

Attachments

• 009.PNG
    009.PNG
    1.3 MB · Views: 61
  • 003.JPG
    003.JPG
    413.3 KB · Views: 64
They'd just take ya to someone's gator farm without telling you...it's the equivalent to high fence deer hunting down there. I considered it, even got the gear for my bow but then learned more about it and decided to do Canada instead.

FLS

WKR
Come to SC. No gator farms. I killed a few when the season first started and have helped with several since. Shot mine with a bow then bang sticked at the boat. A big weighted treble on a heavy surf rod is the most efficient way to catch one. I wouldn’t spend a lot to do it. It’s kind of anti climactic once they’re in the boat.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Come to SC. No gator farms. I killed a few when the season first started and have helped with several since. Shot mine with a bow then bang sticked at the boat. A big weighted treble on a heavy surf rod is the most efficient way to catch one. I wouldn’t spend a lot to do it. It’s kind of anti climactic once they’re in the boat.
I drew a South Carolina Alligator tag with my 5 points this year. It'll be interesting that's for sure.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Laramie

WKR
If it's legal where you "hunt", they can be caught on a large top water spook. Get it within 50' of one and they will attack it. Hell of a fight.

Legend

WKR
It's funny how we seek new adventures. Living in Montana I have all the elk and deer hunting a guy could want. But hogs and gators sound awesome. Maybe it's the redneck in me!