Game Meat in Cooler Help

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
Freeze one gallon jugs and place them in the cooler, loose ice sucks as it melts quickly and makes a watery mess.

As stated, I let meat hang and breathe all the time in 45F and under temps no additional cooling required. It can even warm up to the low to mid 50s as long as that's just the daily high and it will cool back down from those temps for most the day.

OP
A

AM_Hunter

Lil-Rokslider
When I have to put meat in a cooler with ice I leave the ice in the bags it came in. This allows for you to lay the meat on the ice without touching the water. The water drains down into the bottom of the cooler so you can drain it. In August my wife and kids killed 4 deer on a damage hunt. It was 95 during the day and didn't get below 70 at night. I skinned and boned the 4 deer and kept the boned out quarters in 2 coolers with a ton of bagged ice. The key was getting the meat off the bone and chilled on ice quickly.

I worked on processing the meat over a week in the evenings and it was some of the best quality meat we've had and the least amount of waste due to dry out in a long time. Ended up with 30# brats, 25# garlic sausage, #60 of steaks, and 6 quarts of seasoned canned venison for quick meals.

I would get your meat out of the game bags and off the bone ASAP.

Jay
I will pull them from the bags and clean them and dry them off today, and I plan to process and package them friday night, other than that theyll stay in the walk-in until then, and after processing into a freezer

SloppyJ

WKR
Don't let the water get on the meat. If you have a walk in cooler just hang it. That's what everyone wishes they had access to. Short of that, I built a stand out of PVC for the bottom of my cooler. I can lift it out, fill it up with ice and put it back.

I let mine age a week typically before processing. Shoot one weekend, process the next.

The Guide

WKR
I will pull them from the bags and clean them and dry them off today, and I plan to process and package them friday night, other than that theyll stay in the walk-in until then, and after processing into a freezer
I've tried aging in game bags before and found mold on the surface of the meat when I took the bags off. Once I get meat out of the field where dirt and bugs are no longer an issue, I take the bags off. If you get a spray bottle and put some white vinegar in it and spray your meat down it will keep mold and bacteria from growing on the surface before you get a chance to process the meat.

Jay

wytx

WKR
Nice buck and yeah no ice is needed in a 35 degree walkin cooler. Lay it on the racks, it will dry out and form a dark crust. The crust is good but trim it off when processing.
You'll have great dry aged game meat.

Taking it off the bone too soon can lead to cold shortening and then it will never get tender. Let rigor pass and then debone if you want to.

Ucsdryder

WKR
I’ve never had an issue with the water touching it. It can change the color slightly, the outer layer, but that’s it. I drain the ice chest, the first couple of days the ice melts fast then the ice will start lasting longer. Absolutely get them out of the game bags asap. Only animal I’ve had issues with were left in game bags. I think the bacteria gets on the bags during pack out.

Nice buck!

gsully

Lil-Rokslider
I've had no issues with keeping meat on ice in a cooler for a few days. I leave the drain open and prop up the other side of the cooler 4" so it drains well. All the ice is on bottom and meat on the top.

GSPHUNTER

WKR
Here he is. Absolutely beautiful buck for a first buck. Couldn't be happier

View attachment 765462
For a so. Cal. buck he deserves a bigger smile. Just let him hang for several days at 35 Deg. no need to wet age him. But, if you do, yes keep the meat out of the water. I use wire racks, they do the trick. I have wet aged 6 Elk that way. Just make sure the meat is completely cover in ice at all time. wire rack with drain open.

OP
A

AM_Hunter

Lil-Rokslider
Got all the meat out of the game bags, padded them dry and removed as much dirt as could off of them (most of the dirt is off the meat) and got them on racks like this. I should be good right? Ill take them out friday afternoon and throw them in a cooler with ice for the drive to my parents place where we will process and package everything. Thanks everyone for the insight!

Screenshot 2024-09-17 at 4.12.40 PM.jpeg

chizelhead

Lil-Rokslider
Looks good. How long is the drive to your parents? If it's a short drive, you can load the meat in the cooler as is if at 35 degrees. You can even prechill the cooler by leaving it in the walkin. Packed, it will keep cold and you can avoid the moisture exposure.

Got all the meat out of the game bags, padded them dry and removed as much dirt as could off of them (most of the dirt is off the meat) and got them on racks like this. I should be good right? Ill take them out friday afternoon and throw them in a cooler with ice for the drive to my parents place where we will process and package everything. Thanks everyone for the insight!

View attachment 765659
Looks good! Great buck btw!

OP
A

AM_Hunter

Lil-Rokslider
Looks good. How long is the drive to your parents? If it's a short drive, you can load the meat in the cooler as is if at 35 degrees. You can even prechill the cooler by leaving it in the walkin. Packed, it will keep cold and you can avoid the moisture exposure.
Only an hour ish so I may do that

OP
A

AM_Hunter

Lil-Rokslider
What unit? Fellow Socal hunter here, boarder of A zone and D13. Congrats on the buck!
I hunted both A zone and D13 when I first started hunting (unsuccessfully) in college. Fun times, some cool places out there. This buck came from a zone I don't want to put on the internet so it doesnt pop up when people search it, but its no more special than any other zone out here. Just takes plenty of scouting time and in my case a lot of luck to get a chance at em. Good luck out there, got close a few times in D13 and A-Zone but could never seal the deal.

The Guide

WKR

View attachment 765659
I like to cover my meat just to keep as much moisture in the meat as possible. Just something simple like cutting a clean scent free trash bag down the sides to make a plastic sheet. Use one plastic sheet on each shelf. Meat looks good and ready to make meals with!

Jay

WCB

WKR
Freeze one gallon jugs and place them in the cooler, loose ice sucks as it melts quickly and makes a watery mess.

As stated, I let meat hang and breathe all the time in 45F and under temps no additional cooling required. It can even warm up to the low to mid 50s as long as that's just the daily high and it will cool back down from those temps for most the day.
We use 1/2 gallon as they fit better in coolers or if you ever get the meal kits like HelloFresh. The ice packs they package with fit perfectly in a 1 gallon zip lock for extra protection from punctures. We freeze them flat. Absolute best hack we have found for coolers. Rarely buy bags of ice anymore.

Obviously if backpack hunt or no access to a freezer bags of ice still come in handy.