Game Bags

LitenFast

WKR
I am doing a CO September Archery Elk hunt with a buddy this fall. We are backpacking in a few miles and will bivy hunt chasing elk hopefully. I have looked into the gutless quarter method and boning out the meat and plan on going that route. For a boned out elk, what do you guys carry for game bags? I really like the look of Kifaru Meat baggie or something similar, would I bring two or one? I am a Wisconsin deer hunter, so the whole game bag thing is not what I am used to!

OP
L

LitenFast

WKR
For the record, I have looked at the Rokslide Kill Kit, but already have the Havalon piranta edge, flagging tape, 550 cord, etc. So really just looking for a game bag setup.

Juan_ID

WKR
Classified Approved
^^ x2 I have been using the TAG bags the last few years and they are great. They're the only "performance" game bags I've used so I have nothing to compare them to but at the same time I feel no reason to switch... And Larry has great customer seevice too, good guy!

littlebuf

Banned
do your self a favor and do a little more research. if your asking if you need more than one game bag for a elk your not ready. im not trying to be a dick, really im not but your setting your self up for a heart break or worse if you don't know what your getting in to

MattB

WKR
T.A.G. bags are top quality. You are probably going to want 6 game bags - 1 for each quarter and 2 for the neck meat, rib meat, back straps and tender loins.

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
littlebuf,

I suppose he IS doing his research.

LitenFast,

I agree on the TAGs bags. They are awesome. I run with four bags for elk quarters and split the trimmings, with the heaviest amount of trimmings going to the fronts, to even the load. Throw in a solid drysack if you are putting the meat inside with your gear. Keeps everything nice and tidy. You just put your bagged meat in the drysack, and take it out at the truck to reuse on the next load.

Working a full size bull on the ground can be a bit of a chore, but you are definitely on the right track going gutless.

Last edited:

crumy

WKR
I agree on gutless method. It is quick and no mess. I understand the game bag thing because I am from out east orig and you HAD to take the carcass out I've used the knit bags and the cotton bags that you can get from cabelas Walmart znd sportsman warehouse. I've ripped tj they've gotten my stuff all bloody and really disappointed. The route that bitterroot described is the way to go

As far as the amount of meat. You can easily get as much meat from the hind quarters of a mature elk as a whole mature whitetail. You will be in shock as you start processing.

OP
L

LitenFast

WKR
The intent of the post was to do a bit of research, and see what others carry in, I am sure there are other places to do research, but I would rather see what others do than read some internet article from someone who has pack horses or hunts from the truck, nothing wrong with those tactics, just not what I am planning on doing.

Thanks for the help, sounds like TAG bags are the way to go!

trophytaka

Lil-Rokslider
is there any other place to get the T.A.G. bags other than this Larry fella?

jherald

WKR
Tag bags or caribou gear bags, either are great. I have the caribou bags, really no preference though they are both synthetic and both work great. Synthetic bags wash well an last a long time.

ceng

Lil-Rokslider
Could you or would you put a TAG bag in one of the Kifaru bags to secure it inside your pack? If so which would work best for hauling? How do the Kifaru bags work with bone in quarters? Thanks

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
Could you or would you put a TAG bag in one of the Kifaru bags to secure it inside your pack? If so which would work best for hauling? How do the Kifaru bags work with bone in quarters? Thanks

I would think a Gen 2 meat bag would work well, even bone in, with the hock coming out from under the lid.

ridgefire

WKR
Four or five of the caribou gear deer sized game bags would do the job wonderfully for boned out meat.. Would probably go with five though.

Juan_ID

WKR
Classified Approved
For those running TAG bags, which size do you use for boned out elk sized game and packing it out with two guys.
I too would use the big bags, I have yet to pack out an elk but have packed out a couple deer in the big bags (bone in) and have since ordered a set of small bags and I think the small bags would be the way to go for deer, but even if I was goin to go boneless on an elk I'd take the big bags... I think they come in a set of 5 or 6...