Game Bags

Aron Snyder

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I think littlebuf just meant that their are a lot of things that will be different with this kind of hunting vs hunting whitetails back east. So you will have a lot of things to learn. A lot of really fun things! You are staring out the right way by asking questions on this site. Lots of really helpful guys on this site that actually get out and do it, not just talk about it on the internet. Good luck on your trip! It will be a blast!

I'm not digging what you're shoveling??!!

Ethan S.

Lil-Rokslider
To answer the question of how many bags. I take three bags because getting an elk out takes me three trips. I have used the Caribou Gear bags and use three small (38x21) bags. The meat from the four quarters get split in half and go in two of the bags. Those are both a load by themselves for the first two trips. The third bag is for tenderloins and backstraps which get packed out with camp usually to make the third trip. If your buddy helps haul meat then I would say you could both make a trip out with the quarters, and then make a second trip for your camps, the rest of the meat and the antlers of course!

Either Caribou Gear or TAGs would be great. This new, taller/thinner TAG bag mentioned earlier sounds perfect.

Best of luck to you!

littlebuf

Banned
I'm not digging what you're shoveling??!!

just trying to help his buddy out. ive got a pretty good record of getting flamed on web sites for the stuff I type. it all boils down to being bored during the off season and looking for cheap entertainment. you should see when his brother gets bored, the fires really get stoked then

Larry Bartlett

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Hey fellas, the new TAG Bags size will be 14" X 34" and the stuff sack will include 4 ea of the 14" X 34" bags plus 2 ea of the 14" X 20" camp meat bags.

I'll have the new bags in stock in about 6 weeks. My manufacturer is working on the spring inventory as we type.

Since Aron Snyder was the one who asked for this size kit, I think you folks should be the ones to put a nick name on them.

I'll drop a new thread and pose the question.

Once I have the weight and dimensions of the whole set, I'll update that thread too.

This will be fun, guys, thanks for the bad ass forum and all your input. This is one of the best forums I've been involved with, period.

later

Slim Jim

WKR
Right on Larry! Can't wait to get these ordered. I'm sure there will be plenty of names for those bags. It'll be cool to see what everyone comes up with

littlebuf

Banned
The "Backcountry Meat Mode Kit" :):):)

You have to take your shirt of and flex to use them!

this is close , very close. now but a couple extremes in there and make a all black one with a tactical in there and you will just about have it. warning though the black tactical ones may get outlawed in Colorado....

Manosteel

WKR
Larry, these bags sound great, I will be ordering a set right when you have them available. Glad replacing my old game bags was one of the few purchase I waited on making.

mdog

FNG
For someone averaging one or two animals a year the Alaskan Game Bags work great. $11.00 for four of the 48 inch bags. All four wiegh 7.5 oz....total. Consider them disposable-no clean up. They do have to be used properly, you can't throw your meat into the bag and hang them by the knot in the bag. No bag should be used that way. Do gutless but leave the leg bone in initially. I tie a long loop of cord about 18" long and loop it through the tendon on the leg (gerth hitch). This will support the quarter while it is hanging. The game bag is rolled on over the quarter and is secured by a clinch knot with more cord tied just abve the leg and around the original loop. The bag fits loosely..this is key... around the quarter and no meat hangs in the bottom pushing through and spreading the mesh. Just before hauling it out completely debone back into the same bag. Leave the original loop attached to the meat if you plan to hang it again. Throw everything into a plastic compactor bag for the pack out.

Bass Pro also carries Alaskan Game Bags which are made in the USA. They have four packs for either deer or elk. I started using them and they are awesome! They are tough and keep the bugs off of your meat. Also look at the citric acid spray Bitteroot Bulls recommended in another topic if you will be hunting the early season. Good luck!