Game bags

I've used the Alaskan bags for several years and wash and bleach them and none have ever torn so no big complaints. However, I just purchased the Caribou bags as they are a bit lighter and I'm trying to cut weight and space in my pack. This is probably not a big cut in weight but some. I use my vacuum sealer to store and compress the bags as much as possible so now I will take all 4 quarter bags and a meat bag with me all the time as well as the citric acid spray. I experienced tons of flies this past September and only had 2 Alaskan bags in my pack as I left the others in camp. It's very difficult to protect the carcass with game bags as the flies inside and outside of the rib cage was gross to the max with layers of eggs 1/2 inch thick.

Becca

Super Moderator
Staff member
We have used TAG bags in various sizes pretty much exclusively for the last 7+ years. They pack down small and are light, but they are also very durable. Have only had the occasional rip or tear after excessive use, and that's usually our fault due to packing out ribs on the bone in areas where that is required, and the sharp edges will poke through if you aren't careful but I suppose that would be true with any bags. Nothing I haven't been able to repair easily at home or even in the field with a bit of thread and a needle. The material of the tag bags breaths well while at the same time remaining impermeable to fly blow and other bugs. They clean up almost like new after soaking in bleach solution and then machine washing.

My only experience with the caribou bags I was less than impressed. Luke borrowed a couple from a buddy last year on his spring mountain goat hunt, and they stuck to the meat so badly it almost tore the muscle trying to get the bags off even once I wet them. Not sure if it's because the meat had frozen inside the bags, but we have occasionally had meat freeze inside our TAG bags and never had this issue.

As others have mentioned, Larry and Pristine Ventures are always awesome to work with, and are always looking for ways to improve their product (like coming out with the BOMB sized kit a couple years back). We will continue to happily use TAG bags!

MattB

WKR
I moved from Alaska to Caribou, and will move to TAG when my Caribou bags die. If you hang meat in the Alaska bags and the bags stretch, flies can blow through them (been there, done that). The Caribou and TAG-type of material is much better for keeping the meat clean.

duchntr

WKR
If you own alaska bags,get rid of them! I only needed one bad experience with blow flies to learn my lesson. I use TAG bags now and have used them enough that i would recommend them to anyone. Durability is fine only had a few issues with sharp bones that would've torn any cotton game bag. No experience with caribou bags I might buy a few single bags just to try em out.

Finch

WKR
So while skinning/quartering an elk, what is one supposed to do to prevent flies from blowing on the meat before it goes into the bags?

Bar

Banned
So while skinning/quartering an elk, what is one supposed to do to prevent flies from blowing on the meat before it goes into the bags?

Citric acid is one way. Before that I used pepper. Pepper doesn't work as good.

I just bought some of the citric acid powder thru the Caribou bags (also saw it at Cablea's the other nite) guy as it comes in a powder and small spray bottle and is quite small since you don't mix it till you need it. No experience but I'd heard it worked well but not sure you'll be able to cover everything but I plan to focus mostly on the ribcage and neck meat since that's usually the last stuff to be cut off and where the flies seem to land due to the large area.

Last year when I was boning my deer in August, I draped one of the TAG bags over the carcass after skinning to keep flies off, and then put the quarter I was working on directly on top of that. I boned off the quarter directly into the other TAG bag.

If you don't dilly dally you should be okay.

Manosteel

WKR
TAG bags are the best I have ever used. Happy customer here and Larry is great to deal with. I have used them on sheep, elk, moose, WT and mule deer. If you are concerned about fly's jump on Larry's site, Prinstine Ventures for advise on how to use Citric acid. Did that this past season for the first time and it worked like a charm on a WT deer I shoot the morning of the second day of 5 day hunt. (better yet grab one of his DVD's on float hunting, entertaining and he goes through meat care extensively.)

gmajor

WKR
I've only ever used Alaskans...I do use citric acid liberally though. On the carcass, on the bags once the quarters are in, etc. I've thought about TAGs for the stretch issue, but have yet to spend the money.

les welch

Super Moderator
Staff member
I've used almost all of the bags out there. The TAG are nice. I use the Kifaru meat baggies predominantly though.

ridgefire

WKR
How to you cool the meat in the kifaru bags les? I use the kifaru bags for pack cleanliness but hang the meat in my caribou bags.

KMT

WKR
I hunted for years using the old style cheesecloth type bags. Was never happy, as they were fly resistant but not truly great. Bought some TAG BOMB bags a couple of a seasons ago. Here is my take on TAG bags vs the old stuff.

1. TAG bags are fly proof. No fly will penetrate these bags. They won't get in from stretched out fabric, and the cinch string at the top actually closes tightly.
2. TAG bags are stronger than hell. I could not believe the amount of weight I could hang in each bag.
3. The TAG BOMB bags can fit an elk, but that means boned out. And boned out means separating each muscle in a hind quarter.
4. The TAG bags are not as breathable as the cheesecloth type bag.

tttoadman

WKR
I use the tighter weave Alaskan quarter bags. Never had any trouble with them thus far. Wash in bleach. Not quite ready to fork out 3-4X the cost for Tag bags. Perhaps in a future moment of weakness.

RamDreamer

Lil-Rokslider
I will add another vote for TAG bags. I got some of them about 4 years ago from Larry and have put a lot of deer, antelope, and elk through them without an issue. Very tough and have not had any issues with flies. I simply soak and then wash the bags after I am done and they are like brand new. I am going to buy another set in the next year and that is not because I need to replace mine, but instead to have another set for when there are a few animals down and more bags are needed. Go get yourself some!