Game bags

I hunt elk in Western CO, the flys there are brutal and I've yet to find a bag alone that will keep flies from blowing through. I have thought about packing in one of those old style Army mosquito nets to drape it over the bags once hanging or even during the butchering process. Its easy to keep them from blowing when you're breaking the elk down, it's once your done, and have to pack out.

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
TAG bags are the way to go. I've used a lot of different bags over the years and IMO TAG bags are the best.

Edit to add:
In 2013, my buddy killed a nice bull right at dark. We boned it out and put all the meat in a set of TAG BOMB bags. We packed all the meat to camp and hung it up to pack out the last 2.5 miles the next morning. When we woke up, there were flies everywhere. We took two trips to get the bull and all of our camp out so the second load hung in the shade for quite awhile that day while we packed the first load out. When we got back to camp there were still flies everywhere as it was a warm September day. We hauled the second load out to the truck and drove two hours back home. After all that, we didn't have a single fly egg on any of the meat.

Last edited:
OP
kyle1112

kyle1112

WKR
So I decided to get a hold of Larry and he got me all squared away on the TAG Bomb bags!! Such amazing service and quick order fulfillment!!! Cannot wait to get em bloody! Thank you guys for all of your input!

I have used the alaskan bags because they were light weight and cheap and available.

Last year I tagged out on the second day of the hunt and broke the animal down and had them in bags and cooled really fast. Where I had them in the shade in camp the flies decendended on the bags. One quarter had a runner in the cotton and I think allowed the flies to lay eggs thru the opening on the weave where the runner was. When I got the meat home I noticed a bunch of fly eggs on the bag with the quarter. This is the first year that I had problems with the alaskans but I am looking to buy either TAGS or Caribou for this year.

I have some kifaru meat baggies that I use for the back straps.

I noticed that the TAGS are 24x44 and Caribou are 48x28 for the mediums. I usally bone out the hind quarter and leave the two front quarters with bone on so I dont have to spend the time boning the fronts.

What "pack" would you get for tags or caribou for the sizes based on boning out only the hinds and not the front quarters.
I usually use four alaskan quarter bags for the four quarters and place the straps and tenderloin in the kifaru meat bag.

OP
kyle1112

kyle1112

WKR
I would go with the TAG bags in 24x44 since they stretch you'll be fine for your fronts. Medium all day. Correct me if I'm wrong guys

KMT

WKR
I have used the alaskan bags because they were light weight and cheap and available.

Last year I tagged out on the second day of the hunt and broke the animal down and had them in bags and cooled really fast. Where I had them in the shade in camp the flies decendended on the bags. One quarter had a runner in the cotton and I think allowed the flies to lay eggs thru the opening on the weave where the runner was. When I got the meat home I noticed a bunch of fly eggs on the bag with the quarter. This is the first year that I had problems with the alaskans but I am looking to buy either TAGS or Caribou for this year.

I have some kifaru meat baggies that I use for the back straps.

I noticed that the TAGS are 24x44 and Caribou are 48x28 for the mediums. I usally bone out the hind quarter and leave the two front quarters with bone on so I dont have to spend the time boning the fronts.

What "pack" would you get for tags or caribou for the sizes based on boning out only the hinds and not the front quarters.
I usually use four alaskan quarter bags for the four quarters and place the straps and tenderloin in the kifaru meat bag.

I would measure the bags you have already and buy the size closest to them. I do not remember by TAG bags having any stretch in them. Certainly not like a cheesecloth bag.

can you get powdered citric acid in a small spray bottle that you can mix up when you need it at the site of the kill so you can pack in light weight option to keep weight down?

If you can where do you pick this up at?

Thanks.

Slim Jim

WKR
can you get powdered citric acid in a small spray bottle that you can mix up when you need it at the site of the kill so you can pack in light weight option to keep weight down?

If you can where do you pick this up at?

Thanks.

I make up a couple sandwich bags with a teaspoon of food grade citric acid in each one then stuff them in an empty small spray bottle.

Larry Bartlett

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
yeah man, powdered citric acid is what you seek. It dissolves better than crystals and wont junk up your bottle sprayer. Buy a cheap spray bottle at the dollar store or grocery store (walmart). easy and quick.

here's a link to cheap source:

http://www.bulkapothecary.com/citri...-bCLhlwCN-8OFY2Qn0VbXNXHy7Ey0I_5VfhoCy3Dw_wcB

Also might check local feed stores that carry horse-related products. they usually have citric acid powder in 1/2-lb servings for $5-$8. A full pound will last you 5-10 years.

Larry Bartlett

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Oh yeah, the mixture ratio I found most effective is about 2oz citric acid to 1qt water. If you really dont know what an ounce looks like, just drop a full heaping tablespoon into a 1-qt Nalgene and you're good to go.

larry

Larry Bartlett

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
If you bone out the hind qtrs and keep the front shoulders whole, go with the set of five 24X44" and take 4 bags for that combo. That would give you two bags with shoulders and 1 bag for boned out hinds and 1 bag for the tendies and B/S. my best fit anyway.

Otherwise, go with the bomb pack and buy two extra 24X44s to get it done with plenty of flexibility for future hunts.

larry