Which game bags? (Brand/size)

Black Ovis, (before those pillow cases) but I’m curious if the expensive Kuiu or Eberlestock bags that are shaped, really help keep the weight up higher and more compact

Kyle C

Lil-Rokslider
Black ovis whites have worked well for me. I went to the reds in Utah last year and ripped both hind qaurter bags. Won't be using those ones again. Also I could hardly fit the hinds into the bags. I double checked when I got home that they were the XL and physically measured them to make sure the a L tag didn't get put on the XL and everything checked out. Seems like other guys like the ultralight (red), but I do not.

I have a set of TAG bags that will be going on moose hunt #10 in a few weeks. Been packed around on external frame packs, hanging from trees, in and out of several float planes, onto pallets in cargo planes, thrown into the pickup, etc. And moose quarters aren’t light, so they had their fair share of getting drug around on various surfaces. I still use every bag in that original set. For boned out sheep/goat I use a couple of the 14x34 bags and a separate small bag for loins.

I have a hodgepodge of bags at the house that hunters have left over the years. Last fall when I washed bags after the season, I paid a bit more attention. I had TAG, caribou, Allen, and kuiu bags. It was overcast and 40ish degrees. The TAG bags dried in about half the time of others. Allen and caribou clean up to like new condition. Tag bags are a little tainted, but not to the point of hard to look at. Kuiu bags look like they spent a month in my septic tank, but are still functional. I’m sure they all work, but I truly think TAG are superior in strength and dry time. Add in the owner is quick to help folks on this site and he truly was the first one offering this type of bag, I will support him when possible. Especially when they’re all priced similar. Buy once, cry once. They’ll last a decade+ and pay for themselves after about year 2.

Iggy

FNG
Yes, I soak in cold water then in the washer with some Lysol, dry and back into the pack.
I soak mine in cold water in buckets outside. Then wash with some ALL free and clear. What kind of Lysol do you use in the washer with yours? I have to keep my dogs from eating them out of the buckets…

DB29

Lil-Rokslider
I soak mine in cold water in buckets outside. Then wash with some ALL free and clear. What kind of Lysol do you use in the washer with yours? I have to keep my dogs from eating them out of the buckets…

It’s the Lysol made for the laundry.

I started with those Alaska bags. Replaced them with a couple sets of tags and haven’t had the need to replace them. I couldn’t comment on the newer offerings.

I prefer a set of their deer bags for deer in order to be able to hang things with max surface area to aid cooling. The elk bags work fine for deer but you will have plenty of extra space and a bit of extra weight.

If I was buying again, I would probably go with one set of elk size bags from black Ovis of someone.

mtnbound

Lil-Rokslider
I have been using the Born and Raised bags and they have been pretty good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
M

Macintosh

WKR
Has anyone else had durability problems with the black ovis red bags? I was pretty tempted to go that way but Kyle c’s post up there has me questioning that. A one-off, or is this fairly common?

Iggy

FNG
It’s the Lysol made for the laundry.

Thanks I’ll look it up! Just bought a fresh batch of Black Ovis bags for this season. Hoping to fill them with some antelope soon!

I personally didn’t like the black ovis bags, they started breaking down and ripping in a couple years (only ones I have had do that)

If weight is of no concern, caribou bags are bomb proof.

The 2 I use are the argali and viam, both very light and hold up well, both are prone to tearing with branches or broken bones poking them, but they aren’t fragile by any means, just need to be mindful of that (like any bags)

The kuiu bags are not bad either, they aren’t as light and are overpriced

If light is important, you’ll be hard pressed to find better options than the argali or viam, both are great UL bags and i still have a couple of my original viam bags that are probably 8-10 yrs old and have been used on dozens of critters… I have had no issues at all with the argali either and they have been solid, I have a couple sets of each and started using argali right when they came out.

Caribou have been great too,just more bulky and heavy

As for size, I don’t know, I always buy the bigger elk bags and they work fine for deer too, and they all have smaller bags in the sets

I usually take 2 big elk quarter bags and a smaller one for deer

WashCycle

FNG
In the past I used the Allen Backcountry bags. Worked just fine(5 bags). They are now my spare bags. Moved up from a Osprey Hiking backpack to a Mystery Range Metcalf 75 and bought the proprietary Mystery Ranch Game bags that hang/hinge into the top of the frame. Testing with bird seed bags, they have been quite an upgrade and seem really durable. Hope to have to clean them later this fall.

Alaska Game bags - multiple sizes - solid construction, material does not get stuck to the game meat, absorbs excess blood and control leakage, and can be reused if desired. I’m a huge fan and have used them for over 10 years. Best of all…made is Alaska USA