Gaiters

JeffP_Or

WKR
I'm on the Kenetrek and OR bandwagon.

The OR are heavier material and have lasted forever [started their duty as mountaineering wear]. The Kenetrek are a bit lighter material and have a slight nylon whisper to them but have lasted for years; they are also not waterproof/goretex but I have not had significant water or noise issues with them and they are my primaries.

I will add, over others I have tried in the past - and an important consideration especially if using in snow - the understrap material should not be woven/braided material or a paracord/shockcord; those types of materials will grab and ball snow/ice and cause issues. Neither Kenetrek nor OR have this problem with their reinforced rubberized strap.

PS Wait for the Kenetrek sales - several times a year their gaiters come up for sale.

OP
C
Thanks for the input guys, I think I’m going with Kuiu. Talked to a friend today that has a pair. He’s going to let me try them out before I buy.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I've got the taller Yukons and their shorter Scree gaiters- I wouldn't hesitate to recommend either; I repaired a puncture in the Yukons last season, but that's it in four years of heavy use

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I have the kuiu Yukon, they are pretty good but when I get new ones, I’ll give the OR expedition crocs or the peax a try.

Here's a negative vote for kuiu kutanas. Material must be too light. Burned through the bottom strap in 2 seasons, holes and fabric torn everywhere. Maybe my expectations are too high for an ultralight gaiter. Currently in the market for some new ones and you all have me considering yukons

700MtnMan

FNG
Another vote for KUIU Yukons, great gaiters. I have the Peax as well and they are nice but quite a bit heavier and hotter than the KUIU.

Elmer J. Fudd

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve used the badlands gaiter and one from rab. I wouldn’t recommend the badlands gaiter on account of its lack of durability. The one from rad seems pretty good so far. I am pretty sure it is the muztag. The only knock against the muztag is the lace loop but I don’t used it anyways. It hooks from under the lace. Neither one is particularly quiet but when I’m using them I’m usually going through snow or a swamp anyways so silence isn’t really possible

DWD

Lil-Rokslider
Kenetrek website has a couple models currently on sale.