Gaiters?

amp713

WKR
Has anyone made their own??? And more importantly is im thinking about cutting the hems of the bottom of my pants and just putting in some drawstring material. Suck my pants up against my boots and not even worry about running anything. Anyone tried/see/thought of this?? Any flaws in the idea im not seeing???

Colby Jack

Lil-Rokslider
To each there own. In my experience, I like the added protection of another waterproof breathable layer between my lower pants and boots, and the elements. The longer I can keep my socks dry, the happier I am. Found a nice looking gaiter pattern online this week at controlledexposure.com. Also had a nice pant pattern I may give a whirl.

weaver

WKR
I don't wear gaiters early season.
In the snow I always wear waterproof gaiters.

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
Has anyone made their own??? And more importantly is im thinking about cutting the hems of the bottom of my pants and just putting in some drawstring material. Suck my pants up against my boots and not even worry about running anything. Anyone tried/see/thought of this?? Any flaws in the idea im not seeing???

I had some pants like that years ago. All that bungee cuff did was keep the snow from coming out, not going in.

I wear wp/b gaiters in the snow and soft shell gaiters the rest of the time. Essential gear, IMO. Rolling your own sounds cool too.

OP
amp713

amp713

WKR
Ive just never ran them but see everyones reasons for doing it. But dont have desire to drop money on some right now as i just dumped a ton of money on other new gear.....

OP
amp713

amp713

WKR
Wonder how hard it would be too make a set......

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
I think it would be pretty easy to make a pair.

Also watch the classifieds. I picked up a nice pair of used Kenetrek gaiters for $30.00 and a brand new pair of Kuiu gaiters for $50.00. I'm still trying to decide which pair I like the best.

I used to never wear them but since trying them, I hardly ever go without.

Buy a set of gaiters and use them and I'll think you'll question how you functioned without them before, especially in the snow, rain, and wet, but they're great in the brush and sage too. My son, daughter, and I all wear Kenetreks, but Sitka, Kuiu, and OR are all good.

I bought a set of Wilderness Pack Specialties gaiters and used them this season during late season elk. I love them! Not sure I could make them for the $30 they cost me.
Hunt'nFish

OP
amp713

amp713

WKR
Good to know that they are such a liked piece... I took everyones advice on the puffy and am loving it so far so looks like ill gamble on this one too! Im about as crafty as a rock so i might go those cheaper routes ha

I have had pretty darn good luck with the KUIU gaiters, been using them for about 3 years now and they are still going strong. I tuck my pants into my boots daily (military uniform and we have to "blouse" them) so I do that when I am hiking/hunting as well, then throw the gaiters on over the top.

60x

WKR
I use OR gaitors. Bought my first pair 17ish years ago and tore them up and they replace them no questions asked. Buy em once and your done