Gaiters + Quick creek crossing

180ls1

WKR
What has been your experience crossing creeks with gaiters? I am "sure" 2 steps crossing one real quick (5 seconds) will leave my feet dry just like taking 5 mins to cross one will leave my feet wet.

What is about the general limit when it comes to crossing? I understand it can vary greatly. I run Crispi boots and Kuiu gaiters.

Geewhiz

WKR
Could you guys try and quantify it a little? Think I would be OK taking 4-6 steps assuming they are quick?
Are your boots brand new, are they beat to crap, are they cracked up with the rand pealing off, have they been treated, how deep is the creek, will your boots exit the creek covered in mud, do your gaitors fit your boots, how much gap is between the bottom of the gaitor and the boot, are the gaitors new or are they old and haggard, are you running fast or walking, are you on your tiptoes so only the tip of your boot is submerged? See what I mean?

Try it and see what happens is the only way to find out.

OP
180ls1

180ls1

WKR
Are your boots brand new, are they beat to crap, are they cracked up with the rand pealing off, have they been treated, how deep is the creek, will your boots exit the creek covered in mud, do your gaitors fit your boots, how much gap is between the bottom of the gaitor and the boot, are the gaitors new or are they old and haggard, are you running fast or walking, are you on your tiptoes so only the tip of your boot is submerged? See what I mean?

Try it and see what happens is the only way to find out.
Yes, no, no, yes, 10", probably, yes, not much, newish, fast, whole foot.

kloppy

FNG
Assuming good boots and gaiters, you could probably stand in a creek all day and stay dry.

Geewhiz

WKR
Im trying hard not to be a dick. With what you're saying Im thinking your feet will stay nice and dry for that amount of time.

WalterH

Lil-Rokslider
The Kuiu Yukon gaiters, since they are made out of 4 way stretch material, do a better job of forming to the boot and keeping water out as compared to some of the other gaiters on the market.

If you throw a couple of heavy-duty rubber bands over the gaiters and around the ankle of your boot, this setup can be darn near waterproof with the right boots. The rubber bands that you find around produce like asparagus etc. at the grocery store work well.

OP
180ls1

180ls1

WKR
The Kuiu Yukon gaiters, since they are made out of 4 way stretch material, do a better job of forming to the boot and keeping water out as compared to some of the other gaiters on the market.

If you throw a couple of heavy-duty rubber bands over the gaiters and around the ankle of your boot, this setup can be darn near waterproof with the right boots. The rubber bands that you find around produce like asparagus etc. at the grocery store work well.
Much appreciated!

I have been considering hauling contractor bags around as well.

I am trying to find just thoughts in general but for the sake of discussion let's say 10' across and 10" deep average flow. If that is what you were asking?
Somewhat. A faster flow will drive water into and through seems more than a gentle current.
But I would cross what you are describing. If you get wet it will be minimal. Nothing changing socks wouldn't fix.
If this is a springtime crossing in the west it could be significantly higher than past years due to increased snowpack.

OP
180ls1

180ls1

WKR
Somewhat. A faster flow will drive water into and through seems more than a gentle current.
But I would cross what you are describing. If you get wet it will be minimal. Nothing changing socks wouldn't fix.
If this is a springtime crossing in the west it could be significantly higher than past years due to increased snowpack.
That is really helpful. Thank you!