Gaiters + Quick creek crossing

valtteri

FNG
For what it’s worth, I cross creeks with my OR gaiters and Lundhags boots (rubber lower, leather upper) and have never gotten wet. Boots are maybe 8” or 10” shaft. Don’t use rubber bands although I see the sense in that.

If you’re worried, take a big bucket of water and try it out at home beforehand!

OP
180ls1

180ls1

WKR
For what it’s worth, I cross creeks with my OR gaiters and Lundhags boots (rubber lower, leather upper) and have never gotten wet. Boots are maybe 8” or 10” shaft. Don’t use rubber bands although I see the sense in that.

If you’re worried, take a big bucket of water and try it out at home beforehand!

Thanks, the bucket is a good idea, and then if I get the time I'll hit a local creek.

OP
180ls1

180ls1

WKR
To think that there are grown men on here that have to learn how to cross a creek on the internet instead of actually just doing it. 🤦‍♂️

Listen, I would love to do it and that is my intent but I volunteered all last weekend to help educate fellow hunters and get them in the woods (over 600 of them, many kiddos) in preparation for turkey season and this late weather caught me a bit off guard.

This weekend I am volunteering again to help fathers/sons who drew a special tag for kids, many of whom have never killed a turkey.

My turkey season starts the weekend after that and my time is limited. I understand how you think I'm being a puss or whatever but it's far from that.Archery.JPG

Last edited:

wytx

WKR
If you're crossing that creek often stash some rubber boots or waders and change out .

Look into rubber over boots too, to stash near the creek. Slip over your boots and leave for the return crossing.

I've done it many times. If the creek doesn't go above the gaiters, is no more than about 7 or 8 steps max, you walk fast, and have good boots you're feet will likely stay dry. My pant legs are always somewhat wet afterwards though. One miscalculation doing this can really sour the day though.

Lytro

WKR
I have a pair of Kuiu Katana gaiters and 1 piece Kenetreks that have kept my feet dry across small creek crossings. I would think boot design and pant material would be just as important though.

Ive found as long as you keep your feet moving and dont go deeper than the gaiter, my feet stay dry. If you stop, you will get wet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk