GPS Device to use offline w/OnX without needing cellular

rcwso

FNG
New guy here. Have been searching the threads and can't really find an exact answer to my question/problem. Maybe not looking correctly.

Bottom line: What type of device (tablet, phone, handheld GPS, etc) can I use offline with OnX and NOT needing cellular to get the GPS signal and track my location?

I currently have a wifi only iPad. Offline maps work like a champ. Problem...I cannot track my current location because iPads with wifi only do not allow the GPS to work without cellular. This is coming directly from the Apple website and tech folks. And the fact that I ops tested it all weekend in the backcountry. Their iPads with cellular (wifi only) do allow the GPS to work.

I want a device that tracks my location and is able to be offline without cellular. Does that exist? And, if so, what is recommended? Right now I like the size of an iPad or iPad mini but am willing to look at anything.

Much appreciated and I am sure I will have many more questions in the future. We are new to hunting and such.

Your phone, even in offline mode (airplane), still has GPS. That's all I use when hunting. Sounds like you're already aware but have your offline maps downloaded in advance.

C.payne

WKR
Any newer iPhone/ Samsung always has a gps beacon even if there is no cell service or you have them in airplane mode (suggested to conserve battery). Or if you like the iPad size you need to have a cellular version and it will work just like your phone.

wapitibob

WKR
buy an old iphone, ios 8 or newer or an older android. You need nothing but wifi but on a droid make sure you have enough ram memory. All memory on the iphone is ram. I used onx on an old LG that was incapable of making a cellular data connection.

OP
R

rcwso

FNG
Thanks. I am guessing if I get a cellular version of an iPad that I would NOT need to hook it up to any service to use the GPS. It just needs to be the cellular version. Correct? Anyone know? Same would be the case with an old iPhone. That I would not need to actually buy cellular service, correct?

Thanks. I am guessing if I get a cellular version of an iPad that I would NOT need to hook it up to any service to use the GPS. It just needs to be the cellular version. Correct? Anyone know? Same would be the case with an old iPhone. That I would not need to actually buy cellular service, correct?

I believe that would work just fine. I’d buy a used one on eBay or somewhere. I use an old iPhone from before I switched to Verizon for all my trips. Works awesome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

horniac

FNG
Correct you just need the cellular version of an iPad to be able to track yourself on any maps you have saved on your device (i.e. Avenza). No service plan is required and is exactly what I am running to get a larger screen while in my truck. I had the same issue with a non-cellular iPad and bought a cellular capable Gen2 iPad just to have the tracking capability. It works great!

Horniac

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
As others have said, no cell service needed for a phone gps to work. Just be sure and download the maps/layers for the area you will be in.

Put the phone in airplane mode to conserve battery.