Funny but true...

Rich M

WKR
If we’re gonna bitch about stuff and be tough guys. Let’s separate the men from the whiney babies. Push for no batteries allowed. Shove those cell phones and onXs and toss them flashlights you “badasses”. Break out yer compasses and paper maps. Learn how to walk by moonlight if there is one.

I can walk by moonlight but we get 3-day quota hunts down here and without being able to see thru the jungle, i wouldnt try without trail cam. No cell coverage ehere i hunt. Wouldnt be worth it. I’ll go fishing.

Yoder

WKR
If we’re gonna bitch about stuff and be tough guys. Let’s separate the men from the whiney babies. Push for no batteries allowed. Shove those cell phones and onXs and toss them flashlights you “badasses”. Break out yer compasses and paper maps. Learn how to walk by moonlight if there is one.

I can walk by moonlight but we get 3-day quota hunts down here and without being able to see thru the jungle, i wouldnt try without trail cam. No cell coverage ehere i hunt. Wouldnt be worth it. I’ll go fishing.
That's for girls. How about no shoes.

Mcfish

FNG
Livescope is a game changer, as are alot of the electronic devices we use outdoors. The genie is out of the bottle.

It's what is next that we need to start getting in front of. In 10 years, what will sonar be able to do for us? In 10 years, what will cell cameras be able to do for us?

Much like the rest of the technology world, the pace of invention is outpacing the ability to regulate.

Yoder

WKR
Livescope is a game changer, as are alot of the electronic devices we use outdoors. The genie is out of the bottle.

It's what is next that we need to start getting in front of. In 10 years, what will sonar be able to do for us? In 10 years, what will cell cameras be able to do for us?

Much like the rest of the technology world, the pace of invention is outpacing the ability to regulate.
In ten years, we won't be a country. Don't worry about it.

Stalker69

WKR
In two years this country will be known as Mexerica. You won't want to leave your house long enough to fish or hunt, because someone will move in while your gone. Enjoy it, catch them while you can, and have the time to do it.

OP
jjohnsonElknewbie
I watched a video over the weekend that confirmed Mississippi is reducing daily bag limits on the "Crappie Highway" lakes (Sardis, Enid, etc...) from 15 to 10 after a 3 year study revealed that anglers with FFS/livescopes are catching 2-3x fish than anglers that do not. The study also showed that almost 70% of anglers are using FFS/livescopes.

https://www.clarionledger.com/story...appie-limits-at-popular-ms-lakes/74154899007/

Make no mistake, this level of catch is happening for all game species across the country. CPR anglers are not completely free from criticism as well, because fish being caught/released in deep water are dying due to pressure impacts.

The world record spoonbill was recently snaggged by an angler in MO that located the fish with FFS/livescope.

Hopefully this first baby step in MS leads to a cascade of changes in other states.

I know it's cliche, but the old saying goes, "...with great power comes great responsiblity...", and if anglers cannot police themselves, then fish and game agencies will have to do it through regulations.

Last edited:

KurtR

WKR
Living right on lake oahe the electronics has little to no effect on our size of lake. The COE is who messes it up with how awful they control the water. Water and bait and walleyes will thrive. Its a amazing small mouth fishery but most here consider them a junk fish so no one goes after them

OP
jjohnsonElknewbie
Living right on lake oahe the electronics has little to no effect on our size of lake. The COE is who messes it up with how awful they control the water. Water and bait and walleyes will thrive. Its a amazing small mouth fishery but most here consider them a junk fish so no one goes after them
100% jealous of your location. I've never been there, but Dad used to go up there back in the day (80s) and said its like an ocean. Got caught in a bad storm up there in his buddy's big old cabin boat. They pulled into some trees where it was a little calmer and anchored and tied off to a big tree. In the middle of the night the wind blew so hard it busted the cleat off and they got slammed around good but made it out the next morning.

In large river systems like that where there is also pretty sparse population and pressure, I agree the FFS/livescopes likely have limited effect.

I wouldn't mind coming up there and catching numbers of 20" smallies.

They're cool, but will become "illegal" before long when used to catch game fish.

If you know how to setup and read your display, downscan/sidescan imaging is pretty telling.

cjdewese

WKR
I have it and am very very new to it but have enjoyed it so far. It's not an end all be all for fishing for me at least because I don't know it enough yet, but it's fun to see how things move within the water column.

My favorite thing about it is using it to find schools of Bluegill here for my kids. Lately the kids have been wanting to go fishing instead of wanting to do it for an hour or so before going home.

There are times I have found schools of bass in 50+ feet of water but I won't even fish for them because I don't want to deal with Fizzing every fish I catch.

I think it's up to the angler to be responsible with how and where they catch fish to make sure there isn't a negative impact on their local fishery.

SloppyJ

WKR
I was stopped by this super cute game and fish girl as I was dropping my buddy back off at the dock one day. I have had livescope for 3 or 4yrs now. The AGFC was conducting a survey regarding forward facing sonar. I can only assume it was to see if they wanted to implement something like Mississippi did.

Here, most livescope use is for crappie. Mostly it's used around the spawn to find them on structure or to "snipe" roamers in open water that are feeding. It's quite fun and very similar to hunting.

I use it heavily for bass as well. However, I've been most successful using it to just locate fish or bait. If they're schooling, you can follow them around too.

It's not as cut and dry as it seems though. There are plenty of days where I can hit a crappie in the head with a jig and they just swim off. I've learned a ton about presentation and what they want and do not want.

Frankly, I don't mind the lakes curtailing the limit to protect their fish population. I would rather see them be proactive than have a fishery completely collapse but that's just me. Our limit is 15 over 10". I was out pulling crank baits last week which doesn't really involve the livescope too much other than ancillary setup and depth, and we had 20 keepers in about 4hrs. What it boils down to at my lake is time on the water year after year to know where they're going to be.

I'm interested to see what the next 15yrs of innovation does. This has honestly been the biggest advancement in my lifetime when it comes to fishing. I love watching mine and learning about my surroundings. They're nothing to be scared of and it takes a lot of practice to become proficient with them. It's not like it seems where you put a livescope on your boat and you're automatically catching limits.