Hunt Prep - Practicing Shots at Elevation

jreyna

FNG
I elk hunt normally around the 5,000-6,000 ft elevation. This season where I hope to hunt will be between 6,000 and 7,000 feet elevation.

I normally do my practice shooting at an elevation of 3,000ft and then simulate the actual hunting environment by heading up the local mtn and make sure my dope and such is good at 5,000ft.

What would y'all recommend for hunting at a higher than my normal elevation? Find a 7,000 ft spot to confirm dope or is there going to me much difference between 5,000 and 7,000 ft elevation. All my shots will be 400 yards and in. I ask because it's a tall task to find a 7k elevation nearby but would be worth it if recommended.

You're over thinking it. Your time would be better spent by shooting more where you have good access, validating your solutions on a solver with actual conditions there and then running the solver with a revised Density altitude aligned with hunting conditions for comparison.

At your max range, i'd be surprised if the difference from your standard 3000' elevation to 7000' is more than a click in elevation.