Fun Hunting

tpicou

Lil-Rokslider
Couldn’t really think of a thread title, but anyone doing anything weird/fun this year to spice things up? For example, I think I’m going to try to make a serious dent in the maryland whitetail limit using handguns instead of bow/rifle.

Dented

WKR
Absolutely! In fact, I'm going to do the same thing you are. Working on loads for a 44 and 357 for deer, pigs and varmint.

And with a little luck, I'll be adding a recurve bow for deer and small game.

OP
tpicou

tpicou

Lil-Rokslider
Absolutely! In fact, I'm going to do the same thing you are. Working on loads for a 44 and 357 for deer, pigs and varmint.

And with a little luck, I'll be adding a recurve bow for deer and small game.
Sweet! 44 is what I was thinking but will add 357 in there as well. Should be a blast! Recurves look fun. I’ve only used compound

KenLee

WKR
I killed the heck out of whitetails with a TC Contender pistol until I inherited "essential tremors" at age 40. Since then, I shake too much for unsupported shots on still targets with a pistol. I can still roll em up if they are moving. I have literally spooked deer on purpose before shooting if I don't have opportunity for a rest.
2x20 Nikon Monarch scope. 30-30, 7-30 Waters, 45lc, 44 magnum, 22 hornet and 357 barrels. My favorite on whitetails is the 7-30 Waters. Dropped a few good bucks out to 250 yards and many at 150-200 yards.

northernalpine

Lil-Rokslider
It'll be more accurate than a heart "stress test" at the hospital
2 of the 4 other guys going are desk jockeys who are pretty sure they’re going to Rambo the shit out of the pigs…I ordered a head harness for my GoPro so I won’t miss anyone filling their shorts in a full panic when it’s dark, the dogs are going crazy, and the pigs are screaming bloody murder.

KenLee

WKR
Very little in life sounds as evil as pigs screaming when you're up close. Bobcats and scorned women are on the short list.
2 of the 4 other guys going are desk jockeys who are pretty sure they’re going to Rambo the shit out of the pigs…I ordered a head harness for my GoPro so I won’t miss anyone filling their shorts in a full panic when it’s dark, the dogs are going crazy, and the pigs are screaming bloody murder.

COJoe

Lil-Rokslider
I'm thinking that if I draw my mule deer doe tag I will take my vintage .41 magnum Ruger Blackhawk with me. I think it would be a blast, literally! It needs a new scope though or maybe just use the open sights.

Krolly

FNG
Anyone ever do a gator hunt or whatever they classify it as? (baiting?) I’d be curious to hear feedback.
I’ve been gator hunting in Florida. I drew a tag in the state lottery draw. My buddy has an air boat. It was a great time. Public waters. You have to catch them on a line and kill them with a bang stick. Not allowed to just shoot at them. Rules are different for private ground.

We used chicken on a wooden Dow on a fishing pole line. Then after they swallowed it, get close enough to harpoon them on a line. Another guy can try to get a grapple on a fishing pole on em too. Then pull up to the boat and .357 bang stick em. Got pretty chaotic a couple times. Lot of fun. Killed a 10 ft 4 in and a 7 footer.

northernalpine

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve been gator hunting in Florida. I drew a tag in the state lottery draw. My buddy has an air boat. It was a great time. Public waters. You have to catch them on a line and kill them with a bang stick. Not allowed to just shoot at them. Rules are different for private ground.

We used chicken on a wooden Dow on a fishing pole line. Then after they swallowed it, get close enough to harpoon them on a line. Another guy can try to get a grapple on a fishing pole on em too. Then pull up to the boat and .357 bang stick em. Got pretty chaotic a couple times. Lot of fun. Killed a 10 ft 4 in and a 7 footer.
Thank you, that’s exactly what I was hoping to hear. I’ve got some friends with private swamp on the coastal gulf inlets that are thick with gators and use rotten chicken and roadkill to bait with. Never been but I’ve been rolling the idea around just to try something new. Definitely going to see where it might fit on the calendar this year 👍

OP
tpicou

tpicou

Lil-Rokslider
Anyone ever do a gator hunt or whatever they classify it as? (baiting?) I’d be curious to hear feedback.
Yeah a bunch in louisiana. Super fun. We’ve done it both with the hook & bait method as well as just shooting them normally on private land. If you hunt on public in LA you need to bait for them but on private you can do whatever except use a shotgun.

northernalpine

Lil-Rokslider
Yeah a bunch in louisiana. Super fun. We’ve done it both with the hook & bait method as well as just shooting them normally on private land. If you hunt on public in LA you need to bait for them but on private you can do whatever except use a shotgun.
Anything other than the tail worth eating? I’ve only had fried gator tail, which was surprisingly delicious.