Full Length Size vs Neck Size

Chris_in_Idaho

Lil-Rokslider
I've reloaded for a few rifles in the past but am still probably a novice. I only neck sized previously, usually with Lee collet dies, and hadn't had any issues.

However I'm gearing up to start loading again, this time for a 223 Tikka. Assuming I'm only using brass that was fired in this rifle, and I'm only going to fire the ammo in this same rifle, is there any advantage to full length sizing or maybe bumping the shoulder? Or should I just keep on neck sizing?

Thanks

N2TRKYS

WKR
I only full length size. I never saw a reason to neck size.

If you already have neck sizing dies and like them, then keep using them.

I only use RCBS die sets and have zero interest in annealing. I’ve got at least 4 or 5 loadings on my 7 SAUM brass and still going.

Last edited:

sdupontjr

WKR
Same, only FL size. But... I do anneal every time. Some anneal about every 3rd or ever other, I do it every time. But the main reason I FL size is because I load for 4 - 308's, so its easier for me to not have to keep track of brass for a particular gun.

Sadie

FNG
You will eventually have to full length size if you reload the cases several times. More than you asked but forester fl sizer is a really good design and the Redding competition shell holders enable you to jam the shell holder against the bottom of the sizing die making die set up a great deal easier.

ddowning

Lil-Rokslider
If you only neck size, eventually it will get very hard to open and close your bolt. Get a Lee FL sizing die, a cheap digital caliper from O'Reillys, and a set of Hornady headspace comparators. You can get nicer dies than Lee, but I have shot just as good of groups using Lee dies as anything else, so no reason to pay more.

You want to take a measurement of a fired case with the headspace comparator and size the case .001-.003" shorter than that. Doing so insures that your brass lasts as long as possible while still chambering and extracting like butter.

Before I started annealing I got 10+ firings on brass before issues for hunting related accuracy. Once I started shooting competitively, I started flame annealing. There is a subsect of guys that will tell you to anneal every time for consistency. The only annealer I have found to be that good is the AMP. I am not ready to pay the $$$ for one. I still use a homemade flame annealer that is about as consistent as flame annealers get. I anneal every 3 firings and the 2nd and 3rd firing are more consistent than the 1st firing after annealing. I have no illusions that I am doing it for accuracy. Most of my guns require fireforming and good brass is a huge part of good groups, so your talking over $1 for a piece of brass before fireforming. I anneal to get the longest case life I can get. It is nothing to get 20-30 firings on a piece of brass, and I normally lose them before I ruin them.

For hunting and casual target shooting, it is not necessary to go down the annealing rabbit hole at all.

JGRaider

WKR
Rifle specific brass
neck size using Lee Collet die
bump shoulders with Redding body die when bolt becomes tight upon closing
anneal every 3rd firing
brass lasts a very long time

Ramem7mm

FNG
Full length sizing is what should be done. As others have stated if you don't the brass will get stuck eventually. Its a good idea(not required) to anneal and full length size after every shot. There is some good resources on this subject too using search tool. Watch some of Erik Cortina's videos on how to size brass and that will help you understand how to do it.

ddowning

Lil-Rokslider
Rifle specific brass
neck size using Lee Collet die
bump shoulders with Redding body die when bolt becomes tight upon closing
anneal every 3rd firing
brass lasts a very long time
I have one rifle I do this for. It works well, but unless you have a progressive press it is more handle pulling than I prefer. I does work very well though.

JGRaider

WKR
I'm never in a big hurry when reloading. Also, no lube necessary while using the collet die. That makes up for time lost while handle pulling.

lee collet dies work superb and no lube needed. Use till you feel slight resistance closing bolt then full length resize.

JGRaider

WKR
lee collet dies work superb and no lube needed. Use till you feel slight resistance closing bolt then full length resize.
Exactly. Been doing it for years, still making very accurate ammo. Runout numbers consistently .02-.03 with less stress on brass. Not really any down side that I can see.

I don't have a choice in my 300WSM.

I have to bump that shoulder back when I reload my brass or that bitch aint closing without almost standing on that bolt. No way.

Always bump my shoulders back about .002-.003 on my precision guns.

I do a full re-size on my 30-06 but only because it's a pump gun. I don't even sort my brass by brand for that gun...lol Kill deer every year with it.

Not even close to being an expert compared to a lot of guys on here. Interesting to see the responses.

Vern400

WKR
I'm neck sized my 308 for years and years. It works fine. BUT one day I went out shooting and some of my cartridges wouldn't fit, some fit perfect, and some closed on a tight bolt. If I had found an oversized cartridge on a follow-up shot, or a second animal (frequently I double on deer and hogs) I would have missed the opportunity. And then I thought about some animals will try to kill or eat me.

I started full length sizing and bumping the shoulder slightly. I reload to get better ammunition than I can buy for my gun. Good ammunition fits all the time. There you have it.
I don't believe brass life suffers much from a 0.002 bump

Vern400

WKR
That happened to me a time or two years ago. Easy fix is to neck size as usual, then run 'em through your rifle to check fit before seating bullet.
Agree. I didn't know then and that was a batch of 500. Very inconvenient. That was in 2017 and I think I have 100 left.