Fuel management gizmo for pickups

I used to run a Diablo tuner.
The factory tunes are ok in them but not the best.
You will absolutely hate using the economy tune on it. Cuts your power way back and actually hurts your fuel economy.

Buying a tune from someone then uploading it into your tuner then into your truck is the way to go.
I used to have a 2014 Ram that I bought tunes from hemifever. When I had the truck built I had them put on American racing headers with high flow cats, Ciara cat back exhaust, Ram air intake with K n N air filter.
I could burn a set of 35’s up in know time. Lol
I would have him build me an 89 tune and a 91 tune.
The biggest difference I seen was running the 89 Tune but putting in 91 octane gas.
My knock retard would all but disappear.

Another plus to a good tuner is you can shut off things. For example the governor for speed can be shut off as well as cylinder kick out.

TheHammer

WKR
yes and no, they also have to conform to epa emission regs, which often hurts mpgs as a result. from the factory, theyre generally as efficient as they can be, AND satisfy the epa.
You hit the nail on the head, emissions standards. That’s it. The consumer does not matter from the production standpoint. Recommending aftermarket parts is pointless without knowing the application of the truck. The tuner could make the trans shift a certain way for towing that would cause unloaded wear on the trans. A performance tune can cause harm in a tow situation. Overall a reputable tune is a great idea for a lot of reasons. As stated an economy tune is counterintuitive. On most builds leaving here most customers receive 3-10 tunes for their setups. The general consensus is the second or third most aggressive file is where the vehicle is most efficient. Gas or diesel. Typically on trucks this tune is towing safe and the vehicle doesn’t struggle to get out of its own weight.

your na gas engine still needs to conform to the optimal air fuel mix ratio. too lean you got problems, to rich you got problems, so a tune cant do much fuel economy wise. Cam timing is generally adjusted on the fly, to optimal as well. tuning can do wonders for shift patterns though. gm trucks love to lug at low rpm when accelerating making them feel doggy.

i just did my second of 3 annual trips from mb to chicago. 3300 km round trip. first one averaged 11.2L/100km or 21.0 us mpg, second did 11.4l/100KM OR 20.7 MPG 2017 gmc sierra 1500 max tow 6.2l 6.5 foot box. 1 inch lift. did 85 mph or 137 kph whenever possible. not many gas powertrains are gonna beat that. And no i did not have favoriable winds all the time was about 50/50. This engine has been tuned to remove the afm only.

used regular one trip and premium on the other, very little mpg difference empty but i believe there is towing. 91 octane the pinging is gone and there is defintly a lot more low end torque.

Bountyhunter

Lil-Rokslider
no way you're invited getting 17-19 out of a 5.3. is that hand calculated or are you reading the lie-o-meter?
My 2018 5.3 averages 20-22 hwy. Highest is over 28 for 50 miles. Up/down hills it loves as it runs on 4 cylinders.
Crew cab with fiberglass camper shell. Hand calculated and by trip meters that are spot on with GPS.

Last edited:

tony

WKR
Speed limit or 5 over
Much cheaper than any add on nonsense you can find on Facebook

I guess the lie-o-meter.

Jason
there is many different version of 5.3s. 07-09, 10-13 got varable cam timing and get better mpg, 14+ is all new, not even called an ls they are lt's, they added direct inject and power, they get much better fuel efficiency than the older ls.

Weldor

WKR
yes and no, they also have to conform to epa emission regs, which often hurts mpgs as a result. from the factory, theyre generally as efficient as they can be, AND satisfy the epa.
Don't forget big oil, they want you buying fuel. The less efficient the for those guys the better for their bottom line.