Frequency of practice—thoughts on how much is “enough”?

sconnieVLP

Lil-Rokslider
It's not about how often you go. It's about how well you apply what you know and adapt to conditions. Case in point, I used to shoot with my carry gun twice a week. I went to a shooting competition and the momen I started shooting sideways under pressure I realized I was a lot worse than expected lol.
I don’t have enough fingers and toes to count the amount of times I’ve watched someone’s IQ drop to below room temp when the shot timer beeps.

Training deliberately is what counts. I shoot a good bit of USPSA and Steel Challenge, but don’t do all that much live fire outside of the matches themselves. I do 15-30 minutes of dry fire drills with the timer and cardboard scaled targets in my apartment every night. My improvement through that alone is exponential (or at least that’s what it feels like). Draw time, sight picture, reloads… everything has gotten faster. My limited time for live fire practice I spend doing single hand or support hand shooting where the recoil of live fire starts to really matter.

Lawnboi

WKR
I’ll also add that if your not adding stressors to your shooting your not getting the practice you need.

Time, someone else’s rules, awkward positions, all things that nobody wants to practice, but provide the best training.

I do think there is a minimum number of rounds to get your brain over the noise and recoil. None of that matters if you can’t control it under pressure.